Salts and Skinning

Started by janeshephard, August 04, 2010, 05:48:52 PM

I hereby propose, after spending an hour listening to a guy at work describe how to skin a deer, making salt holdable items. If you are holding a piece of salt as you skin an animal you get a bonus to cutting meat from it.

Apparently, if its very hot you want to pack the inside of the animal with salt after removing the innards. Then skin it for the meat. This prevents it from spoiling too quickly.

This would make salts worth more in the player economy. It would then be viable to be an actual salt merchant and sell to PCs.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Not to mention salts can be used in tanning.

And they also go great on baked potatoes.

I'd be in favor of salt being used more by pc's.  It's abundant, make it useful for something!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: janeshephard on August 04, 2010, 05:48:52 PM
I hereby propose, after spending an hour listening to a guy at work describe how to skin a deer, making salt holdable items. If you are holding a piece of salt as you skin an animal you get a bonus to cutting meat from it.

Apparently, if its very hot you want to pack the inside of the animal with salt after removing the innards. Then skin it for the meat. This prevents it from spoiling too quickly.

This would make salts worth more in the player economy. It would then be viable to be an actual salt merchant and sell to PCs.

why not?  +1
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

August 05, 2010, 04:22:27 PM #5 Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:50:58 PM by Bilanthri
QuoteFIRST:
   SOAK HIDE FOR 2 DAYS IN SOLUTION OF:

1 1/2 LB unslaked lime (Calcium Oxide, acquired by burning limestone); ten gallons water
       1/2   box baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate, see Salts); ten gallons water

NEXT:
1. SOAK IN RAIN WATER 3 DAYS
2. DEHAIR
3. FLESH FAT FROM HIDE; USE A GOOD FLESHING TOOL; BE CAREFUL HERE
4. SET OVERNIGHT
5. SOAK IN RAIN WATER OVERNIGHT
6. PUT ON STRETCHER WITH MANY CONTROL POINTS AND APPLY PRESSURE ALL SIDES AS HIDE DRIES
7. RUB HIDE 5 MINUTES; LET DRY 25 MINS; WORKING BOTH SIDES
8. BLEND BRAINS USING SMALL AMOUNTS HOT WATER; ADD 3 TO 5 GALLONS WARM WATER
9. WORK HIDE INTO SOLUTION; WORK SOLUTION INTO HID!! (read)
10. TWIST HIDE; HANG FROM TREE, DANGLE HEAVY ROCK AT BOTTOM, SPIN (or whatever)
     CATCH SLURRY FROM BOTTOM
11. REPEAT 9 AND 10 SEVERAL TIMES(5-6) FOR 30 MINUTES ALLOWING SOME SOAKING
12. BREAKDOWN FIBERS; PUT HIDE BACK ON STRETCHER WITH TIGHT PRESSURE
13. BREAK TOOL:  CANOE PADDLE, AXE HANDLE, BEAVER BOARD, ETC., MUST BE SMOOTH
14. WORK AND PRESS ALL AREAS UNTIL DRY(A LONG TIME!)
15. TO WEATHER PROOF AND MAKE SURE BUGS ARE GONE: SMOKE WITH ROTTEN, DRY WOOD
     QUIT WHEN COLOR CHANGES; MAKE SURE HEAT IS VERY LOW FOR THIS STEP
16. WHEN HANGING HIDE, HANG NECK DOWN
http://www.nativetech.org/tanning/braintan.html

Salts do play a very important role in many hide preparation techniques.

The one problem I always had with the tanning skill, IG, is that even a small hide should take days to cure. Plus, there's a lot of liquid involved in most processes I've found.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

This is a 2 minute search for tanning by desert cultures (you would be surprised at how adaptable humans are  ;) )

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ochre+in+hafting+in+Middle+Stone+Age+southern+Africa%3A+a+practical+role-a0123120557

Looks like this article would be a good starting point for anyone truly interested in researching this, I'm not.

The only purpose I see for salt is

>rub salt Man wounds
The Man screams in agony as you rub salt in his wounds.  ;D

Quote from: burble on August 05, 2010, 04:47:26 PM
This is a 2 minute search for tanning by desert cultures (you would be surprised at how adaptable humans are  ;) )

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ochre+in+hafting+in+Middle+Stone+Age+southern+Africa%3A+a+practical+role-a0123120557

Looks like this article would be a good starting point for anyone truly interested in researching this, I'm not.

>rub salt Man wounds
The Man screams in agony as you rub salt in his wounds.  ;D

Takes away stun, gives back hp.

August 05, 2010, 07:08:55 PM #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:14:29 PM by Bilanthri
Quote from: burble on August 05, 2010, 04:47:26 PM
This is a 2 minute search for tanning by desert cultures (you would be surprised at how adaptable humans are  ;) )

>rub salt Man wounds
The Man screams in agony as you rub salt in his wounds.  ;D

Well....that's a long article. But at first glance it seems to be suggesting that stone age African people used plant starches and earthen pigments to tan hides.

Very interesting.

I'll bet there is a bit of salt in there somewhere, but it's probably bound up in another material.

Edited: Further reading of article

It seems like the anthropologists are uncertain whether the ochre was being used in part of the hide preparation process or as a method of hafting the stone blade. One reason why authentic native American techniques are more common....they were still using them in recent history rather than millennia ago.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I suspect this won't be implemented because it could be handled by just RPing it and not relying on code.

Arma's code is actually exceptionally light weight.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Bilanthri on August 05, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

The one problem I always had with the tanning skill, IG, is that even a small hide should take days to cure. Plus, there's a lot of liquid involved most processes I've found.

It's really hot in Zalanthas!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I usually just assume that the actual curing and time-consuming stuff takes place off-line.  Less is more when it comes to crafting and MUDs.  There are at least a couple of MUDs that have very detailed crafting processes...but the end result is an annoying mess.

If I'm feeling really inspired (and my workspace has enough room to drop the goddamn hide, and it's a save room), I might drop a bunch of untanned hides with dropdescs showing that they're somewhere in the middle of the tanning process.  Then I'll come back the next time I log in or whatever and actually do the crafting.  But really, there's almost never enough space in clan save rooms for this to work.  Not to mention that the sheer number of hides you end up tanning as a tanner really starts to wear on your creativity as it becomes more and more of a tedious task.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.