Not so random Armageddon Thoughts about Guild sniffin'

Started by Armaddict, August 01, 2010, 10:29:28 PM

Quote from: roughneck on August 03, 2010, 10:15:00 PM
You're about as tactful as a hammer and no, I don't fail to make the distinction between myself and my character.
Merely saying I like that it's difficult to take a character that has devoted his life to obscure and arcane mysteries yet pass as someone who's devoted their life to trade work.

Sorry if I communicated something else, I see how my post could be understood differently.
I'm sorry...  I probably should have been a bit more polite in my response.  Still, using your example, the point remains that being a magicker doesn't automatically mean that someone has "devoted his life to obscure and arcane mysteries", unless you are talking about sorcerers.  Some elementalists aren't even aware of their power; why should your character be?  If anything, people should be stringing up your character for being a mind-bender at the same time the elementalist you sniffed out is getting gemmed.

The easiest way lack of skills in a particular area denotes just that: a lack of skill.  Extrapolating "magicker" (or any other guild) from that is abusing OOC information, as in the game world, the things we know as "guilds" or "classes" do not exist.

Also remember that PCs can take on (with the exception of slaves and a few others) almost any role.  Sometimes jewelers are simply jewelers, and, for one reason or another, never diversify.  Some take on whoring.  Others, begging.  Correct or not, ICly labeling these people as <insert undesirable race/class here> based on information gleaned from guild sniffing is, again, disregarding the game's OOC guidelines.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Also, you have to keep in mind that many people special app for characters that have some of the normal skills for their guild removed and others added, making guild sniffing a much less certain thing than people seem to think.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Allowing people to select a 'Joe Commoner' guild that just has the common skills (e.g. contact, ride, etc.) and a subguild could go a long way to get rid of the "he can't fight/shoot arrows/hide/barter/speak cavalish aieee! he's a magicker or worse" sort of reactions.
Lunch makes me happy.

Actually, I can recall times in game when other characters specifically asked probing questions to determine what guild my character was.

From that point on, I began using the uncoded version of skills specifically to throw people off. For example, scan, sneak. These two alone will throw a major cog in the wheel if you are anything other than a Ranger, and if you are a Ranger, using sneak in the city will also throw people off.

Because let's be honest - anyone can scan, sneak, and hide. You don't need to be part of a guild for that. So if you have people sniffing you out throw a sabot in their machine.

I use coded_skills dependent upon my character's mood/situation - Weither or not he has it as a personal skill.

IRL, I don't have the skill_sing but when I get in the shower, that doesn't stop me from spamming it - Badly.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Actually, it takes about 15 minutes (RL) for you to find a hiding spot if you try to hide when you don't have the skill.  So you can't even attempt to fail at it, unless everyone in the room you're trying to fool is extremely patient.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: gfair on August 05, 2010, 02:38:00 PM
Actually, I can recall times in game when other characters specifically asked probing questions to determine what guild my character was.

From that point on, I began using the uncoded version of skills specifically to throw people off. For example, scan, sneak. These two alone will throw a major cog in the wheel if you are anything other than a Ranger, and if you are a Ranger, using sneak in the city will also throw people off.

Because let's be honest - anyone can scan, sneak, and hide. You don't need to be part of a guild for that. So if you have people sniffing you out throw a sabot in their machine.

Heh, yeah.

Throwing in a backstab or a kick every now and then always throws 'em for a loop. x]

Why don't we have an Average Amos guild?

Why does everyone have to have the potential to be a heroic warrior, or deadly assassin, or mighty magicker?

Sometimes an elf on the street is just a slubby elf.
Lunch makes me happy.

Why does potential automatically keep someone from being an average Amos?

Just don't use/practice your skills.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:06:16 PM
Why does potential automatically keep someone from being an average Amos?

Just don't use/practice your skills.

It's the difference between being a warrior that never tried and just being some guy.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:10:27 PM
What difference is that?

Why would you oppose an Average Amos guild? Don't choose it if you don't want it.

Let the people who decide to play Average Amos not have to scroll through a list of killing talents when they look at their skills list.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on August 05, 2010, 05:11:06 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:10:27 PM
What difference is that?

Why would you oppose an Average Amos guild? Don't choose it if you don't want it.

Let the people who decide to play Average Amos not have to scroll through a list of killing talents when they look at their skills list.

....Because any guild can be an Average Amos guild.

As Moe said, just don't practice your skills. >_>

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 05, 2010, 05:14:45 PM
As Moe said, just don't practice your skills. >_>

Not true. If you choose the warrior guild, some skills will still automatically apply.

Same for several other guilds. Pick a merchant? You'll know cavalish, like it or not.

Maybe not for a magicker, but then, not everyone has the karma to pick one of those. And they are still magickers so far as the game is concerned, even if they never utter a magickal syllable.
Lunch makes me happy.

So... try burglar?  That's a great guild for an Average Amos.

I suspect that the staff, if asked real nice, would be willing to remove a few of your skills without a special app.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:20:47 PM
So... try burglar?  That's a great guild for an Average Amos.

Still has weapons skills. Swing a sword? You benefit.

Still has its puny starting offense and defense (presumably).

Quote from: brytta.leofa
I suspect that the staff, if asked real nice, would be willing to remove a few of your skills without a special app.

I did this once. The staff member that responded couldn't actually remove allundean from my half elf's skills list, only set it to really, really suck.

But anyhow, weigh bugging the staff each time you or anyone else just want Amos against having a Amos guild.
Lunch makes me happy.

???

I really don't get it.  Your Average Amos needs to be so bad at combat he doesn't know which end to hold the sword?

If burglar's combat skills are too good for you, how about pickpocket?

Good grief.

I'll bet if your roofs springs a leak, you guys just put out pots and call it good enough.  :D
Lunch makes me happy.

I'm not trying to give you grief.  I'm just being your friendly neighborhood Marauder Moe.  I see my fellow player(s) having a problem: they want to play an "Average Amos", but don't know how.  I'm trying to show them so they can begin their Average Amos Non-Adventures right away, rather than having to wait for the staff to notice, debate, decide, and then only maybe implement a brand new guild to satisfy this niche need.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on August 05, 2010, 05:25:35 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:20:47 PM
So... try burglar?  That's a great guild for an Average Amos.

Still has weapons skills. Swing a sword? You benefit.

Still has its puny starting offense and defense (presumably).
Why are you complaining that you can get better with a sword if you use it? I mean seriously, if you use anything, over time, you will get better at it. At least IRL.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:27:36 PM

I think pickpockets' combat skills are better.

Quote from: jstorrie on August 05, 2010, 07:39:34 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 05, 2010, 05:27:36 PM

I think pickpockets' combat skills are better.

Yep.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

So, basically - What you want, Salt Merchant, is to play an "avatar" character with no other purpose other then to simply exist.

Why not pick some guild at random them do that fail-all skill's thing. You -can- intentionally fail at everything you do & I'm pretty sure that includes those passive-active combat skills.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I thought the point of a commoner guild would be to stop guild sniffing... Did we all lose sight of the topic again?