Roles that people have trouble with

Started by jriley, July 27, 2010, 07:00:32 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on August 04, 2010, 01:38:49 PM
Your magickers will be much more satisfying if you play them like the dumb gits most Zalanthans are, but with the ability blast motherfuckers into pieces.  Will you die young? Maybe, but you'll be enjoying every last minute of it.

I agree.

And on a point most won't agree with me on, I wish some became assholes -before- they had a few select things maxxed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on August 04, 2010, 03:04:53 PM
Your magickers will be much more satisfying if you play them like the dumb gits most Zalanthans are, but with the ability blast motherfuckers into pieces.  Will you die young? Maybe, but you'll be enjoying every last minute of it.

I agree.

And on a point most won't agree with me on, I wish some became assholes -before- they had a few select things maxxed.

I agree with you. It's not just magickers though. I've seen warrior pcs do the same  thing. Get along with everyone until I'm codedly powerful enough to fuck shit up and then -suddenly- I'm a total and complete asshole to everyone because: What are they gonna do about it?
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I dont see a problem with it. Especially in labyrinth. Even the scariest of bosses used to be someone elses bitch at some point. If you're being an asshole and cant back it up, then you're not very survival oriented are you?

It's different for magickers though. When they're scary not because they're assholes, or because they want to be scary, but simply because they're ... afflicted, different, unnatural. Even then though it can be understandable. While they are weak/young, they're just like mundanes. While when they're permeated with magick, their behavior, mindset, viewpoints change.

It's not at all about an ego thing.

Granted, in 9/10 of my roles, people should be afraid of my characters when they're suddenly extra nice, then other way around.

What I guess I mean is, when they have their pc be an asshole openly for the -sole- reason that OOC they know they are codedly powerful. It irritates me as a player and I think it's poor roleplaying to some degree. Either your pc is an asshole that -thinks- they can mop the floor with others (and may or may not be able to back it up codedly) or they're not.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on August 04, 2010, 03:33:04 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on August 04, 2010, 03:04:53 PM

I agree.

I agree with you. It's not just magickers though. I've seen warrior pcs do the same  thing. Get along with everyone until I'm codedly powerful enough to fuck shit up and then -suddenly- I'm a total and complete asshole to everyone because: What are they gonna do about it?

My PC did the opposite of that. He was an asshole to everyone as a fresh face. Now he does his best to get along.

Quote from: jhunter on August 04, 2010, 06:00:50 PM
What I guess I mean is, when they have their pc be an asshole openly for the -sole- reason that OOC they know they are codedly powerful. It irritates me as a player and I think it's poor roleplaying to some degree. Either your pc is an asshole that -thinks- they can mop the floor with others (and may or may not be able to back it up codedly) or they're not.

This is why I'm starting to dislike the "see your skill level" code. :<

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 04, 2010, 06:19:13 PM

Bingo!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 04, 2010, 06:19:13 PM

Like that never happened before  ::)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You dislike the see your skill level code because it makes people act confrontational...?

Wait, didn't people used to complain about not enough confrontation IG?

This isn't CareBearAgeddon.

EDIT: Except Tuluk.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 04, 2010, 06:26:03 PM
You dislike the see your skill level code because it makes people act confrontational...?

Wait, didn't people used to complain about not enough confrontation IG?

This isn't CareBearAgeddon.

EDIT: Except Tuluk.

Well, no.  I'm not completely pissed about it, and there's no -real- problem showing itself, but I just all around think that it kind of fosters a more twinkish, shallow aggression based on coded knowledge of skill level (which is weird, since IC'ly, there's no such thing as a skill cap or a 'level' where you've just noticeably improved in status) instead of a more indepth part of a character.  Either way, this is a derail, and a meaningless one (Sorry, I shouldn't have done such a lame post earlier.)  If you want to talk more about it, you can PM me, for the sake of the thread?

Quote from: Feco on August 04, 2010, 02:44:40 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on August 03, 2010, 09:25:38 PM
Merchants, hands down. Some people are just plain retarded about IC restrictions that merchants usually have no control over.

Call it IC, call it being a douche OOC, call it whatever you want... it's annoying playing that merchant that is getting black-balled in society because Lord Fancypants wants trousers with golden tregil trim tomorrow, no questions asked.

This.

The role is also very people dependent and requires OOC time to manage.

That could just be me speculating, of course.  ::)

Both times I played GMH merchants my imms were very supportive. But in the end, they had more important concerns than Lord Fancypants' new jockstrap. It takes as long as it takes. And if you're hassling someone about bullshit, just to be a dick, or because you want to portray your imperious and demanding pc as imperious and demanding, you may end up having to start all over when the player behind that merchant thinks, "Wait... how is this fun?"
However if you have a personal grudge against said merchant, that might be another story entirely.

I'm not really trying to tell you how to play Lord Fancypants as he waits for his jockstrap, I'm just pointing out that in this, there's a lot to be said for understanding that they have to sew each bead on by hand, by the light of liruathu when jihae hides in order for the pattern to align just right.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The issue is that people tend to treat merchant PCs as vending machines.  Merchants don't like feeling like this, and their players dislike it more.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I especially love the chars who ICly complain about the high turn-over rate of the pcs that they make a hobby out of abusing.  Gee.  I wonder why these roles keep turning over and are so difficult to fill?  Hmmmmmm ...
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Maybe junior nobles should look at GMH merchants something like this: yes, individually, he's a grubby, dusty commoner, not to mention BOR-ing.  But he's also my lone conduit to the awesomest toys in the world, made with amazing Kadian worksmanship.

Oh, Drov, have you seen the new Kadian gowns, darling? In green, with silt pearls?
Oh, I think I'll just die if that tiresome Proko fellow doesn't get mine finished soon.

Maybe less impatient imperiance and more fanboy/fangirlism.  Not for your sales representative, but for what he's getting you.  The world-spanning monopolies make lovely things that you want.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 04, 2010, 07:55:22 PM
The issue is that people tend to treat merchant PCs as vending machines.  Merchants don't like feeling like this, and their players dislike it more.

*swoon*
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Especially when those vending machines are only restocked with stock items, and if you want something that doesn't normally drop when you hit the A4 buttons, you have to call that number on the top of the coin slot, long distance, get an IVR, go through 6 levels of menus to get customer service, and then leave a message on their voice mail. And then, they MIGHT consider filling your order, and if you're really lucky, they'll put it in the machine in your building and not the one three states away.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Y'know, it sounds like the Merchant Workflow would benefit from some serious rework...maybe more functions in the Request Tool, maybe something else.  Sounds like it's too much work for both staff and players.

(But I've never played one.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Lizzie, that was true genius.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Meanwhile, independent merchants suffer from the fact that the vast majority of craftable items are junk that only NPCs will buy. 

Most people won't even buy your special mastercrafted shit that you obsessed over for an entire RL month to create unless it's skull-carved, gem-encrusted, sigil-engraved, fire-hardened, rune-etched and made from a composite of mekillot bones and silt-horror shells.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: jhunter on August 04, 2010, 03:33:04 PM

I so agree, although the whole issue is considerably off-topic. 

That being said, I've noticed that the problem is often worse with PCs that join groups, and play really blandly.  They always make the worst leaders.  Their real personalities never come out until they've been promoted.  If anything, I blame the clan leadership -- they tend to promote the blandest PCs.  They really bland ones never lead well.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

As a GMH merchant you are almost guaranteed to face heaps of truly ridiculous abuse and unrealistic expectations. However, I found that your perspective can make a big difference in your enjoyment of the role.

You don't owe anyone your time or business. If it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it. You have responsibilities to your House, yes, and to carry them out it might be a good idea to keep VIPs and other would-be customers happy. But keeping people happy isn't your job. Enduring abuse isn't your job. Your job is to make money and advance your House's (and your own) agenda. And even that, you don't need to do well. (Sure you have OOC responsibilities too, but distributing toys to customers isn't really all that important there either.)

Everything is a tradeoff, and sometimes the abuse isn't worth whatever profit might be on the other side of it. You can ignore customers or give them the run-around. Of course, that may come with consequences, but again -- you get to decide what is worth your time and energy. Especially if you're dealing with someone who is your social equal or lesser, you have a lot of freedom to simply not bother doing business with them at all. If they need to deal with you badly enough, they'll make it worth your time. Or, they'll make you pay for ignoring them. So be it. Again, you don't owe anyone your time or business. It's your choice.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: Synthesis on August 04, 2010, 10:46:40 PM
Most people won't even buy your special mastercrafted shit that you obsessed over for an entire RL month to create unless it's skull-carved, gem-encrusted, sigil-engraved, fire-hardened, rune-etched and made from a composite of mekillot bones and silt-horror shells.

I haven't played a merchant since crafting went in, so I don't have any reference here, but I have a hard time believing this.  I tend to jump at anything unique, and I feel like a lot of other players do, too.  Fuck skulls and gems; I'd go out of my way for something original that matches my character's image.  Something like a "wind-worn leather duster" for my ranger, or "a bone-framed leather shield" for my warrior, or whatever.

Quote from: flurry on August 04, 2010, 11:28:58 PM
As a GMH merchant you are almost guaranteed to face heaps of truly ridiculous abuse and unrealistic expectations. However, I found that your perspective can make a big difference in your enjoyment of the role.

You don't owe anyone your time or business. If it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it. You have responsibilities to your House, yes, and to carry them out it might be a good idea to keep VIPs and other would-be customers happy. But keeping people happy isn't your job. Enduring abuse isn't your job. Your job is to make money and advance your House's (and your own) agenda. And even that, you don't need to do well. (Sure you have OOC responsibilities too, but distributing toys to customers isn't really all that important there either.)

Everything is a tradeoff, and sometimes the abuse isn't worth whatever profit might be on the other side of it. You can ignore customers or give them the run-around. Of course, that may come with consequences, but again -- you get to decide what is worth your time and energy. Especially if you're dealing with someone who is your social equal or lesser, you have a lot of freedom to simply not bother doing business with them at all. If they need to deal with you badly enough, they'll make it worth your time. Or, they'll make you pay for ignoring them. So be it. Again, you don't owe anyone your time or business. It's your choice.

*swoon*
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Everyone likes the same scimitar, the same axe, the same breastplate, etc. etc.  Because they know they work.

To make things interesting, a merchant with access to tons of items needs to try and sell things people don't normally buy.  People flip their shit when the see an uncommon club.  I think the problem is selling is fun at first, gets mundane eventually, and probably a bit boring after you give a super-wicked sales pitch for item #3345.  By that point, they probably have so much money they can ignore people, then people start bitching, then the merchant retires -- the cycle continues.

Otherwise it's a very in-depth/interesting role with lots of room for SEKRET PLOTZ and the like.  The problem is, unlike grebbers, when the character stops doing the grind, it affects other people.

I don't think this is something that can be fixed, it just takes a special person with a special personality to play the role.  If you play a merchant, and find you don't really like it, just store.  Save yourself the headache.

It's a niche role, most definitely.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I had many, many good times with my merchant PC.  Yes, it was a very tough role, but in some regards it was also very rewarding.  It was a great introduction into leadership and politics.  I did eventually burn out, but I wouldn't trade the months of fun I had.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.