Re: Random Tiny Wants spice derail

Started by bcw81, July 19, 2010, 07:10:24 PM

I like the idea of command_plant way too much to ever back anything like this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a douchebag and make remarks.  Just ignore them, please.

However...

QuoteThe notion of soldiers just taking your spice and some coins and then letting you go on your way with zero questions asked, however,seems somewhat problematic from an IC perspective.

How is that problematic, exactly?

Quote from: Ampere on July 20, 2010, 04:32:41 PM
Try to cross any border holding weed/coke/whatever, then explain to the guards that it isn't your bag --- tell us what happens.

Difference being this isn't trying to cross the border.  This is showing up at the border where it's legal, then saying to the one in charge of finding illegal things on the other side, 'Hey, take this, I'm not trying to bring this in.'

QuoteAll chars are subdueable...just not by all other chars.

Correctamundo, and that's been explained already, if you'd have read.  Lead soldier at the gates generally doesn't try to subdue the larger races due to code, it just attacks.  The guards that -would- subdue it then no longer have the option, because they are in combat, and assist instead.

QuoteThese things should not trigger the code or should be plainly labeled in sdesc and mdesc, I don't care if the item has a line on it in mdesc that says OOC THIS IS SPICE! and it should tell you in assess as well. This item could be sniffed or smoked. Which would be a dead giveaway that it is spice..

This I would agree with, but on the other hand, as I stated...the nosave confiscate would allow those things to be taken without negative reaction.  And again...the implementation would harm nothing aside from those who a. Delight in seeing people accidentally get smooshed despite IC circumstance due to OOC code or b. Want to keep the option to use that code for their own advantage.  And there's probably more reasons, but they are small in number and personal to each.  Those are...broad, general ideas.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 20, 2010, 04:25:56 PM
You all should be happy that the gate guards aren't planting spice on you themselves, then jacking your shit and selling it in the bazaar.

This is Allanak, after all.

And these are NPC's, after all.  I am all for harshness of the game, but not to the point where it ridiculously circumvents all IC circumstance whatsoever.  Which is what it currently does.

QuoteSo I just kept running and ran right past two NPC soldiers into the estate, waited it out, ditched the item, and continued on my merry way.

Well and good for you, but I hope you also realize that it would be taken as a proclamation of guilt, and get you much harsher punishment that would at -that- point be justified, as you resisted arrest blatantly, only giving credit to the idea you were purposely smuggling it.

She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I think I have a better idea on the 'nosave confiscate' thing.
The game itself (not the guards) sends you and those in the room with you an echo along the lines of:

Soandso (you) toss(es) <spice item>, <spice item>, and <spice item> at the gates before coming into the city.

Instead of them being taken, they're just unloaded from the person (much like junking but without junking spam). It would be especially nice if it could be set to trigger on entrance into the city via one of the gates. Then you wouldn't come in further than the checkpoint, but people walking past the gate along the outer circle wouldn't have their items accidentally poofed.

Then you wouldn't have brought spice into the city, and it would reveal those items so that people can take greater care not to be busted with them in the future.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I'm actually glad that not all things coded as spice tell you that they're spice.  You should have to find out if that (redacted) is spice or not on your own instead of being told by the game that it is spice.  It's not in a readily recognizable form and not everyone knows where spice comes from.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 20, 2010, 08:37:49 PM
I'm actually glad that not all things coded as spice tell you that they're spice.  You should have to find out if that (redacted) is spice or not on your own instead of being told by the game that it is spice.  It's not in a readily recognizable form and not everyone knows where spice comes from.

But all npc's instantly have that knowledge.  Riiiiight.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Armaddict beat me to it.

The Code is 100% infallable. If it is flagged spice, it will pick it up, So every single Soldier NPC in nak knows that it is spice. But for some od reason PCs get to be surprised on the matter....yea, thats fair.

Might as well just call the gates a DT.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I can easily picture law enforcement personnel being trained, especially the gate guard in charge searching for it, to know what they are (he is) looking for.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

X-D and Armaddict are right I think.

I've seen weird types of spice that I didn't know where spice until after the fact (I died horribly =P)

That doesn't seem really fair.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: spawnloser on July 21, 2010, 01:09:39 AM
I can easily picture law enforcement personnel being trained, especially the gate guard in charge searching for it, to know what they are (he is) looking for.

There are definitely some spice items in the game that aren't very spice-looking. Can't really get any more specific than that without gettin yelled at.

If a pc can't pick up the item and immediately know it's spice-ish, then a soldier should at least have a 'chance' of not knowing it's spice-ish.

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."