RTW Derail: -armed tag on people with weapons

Started by Blackisback, July 14, 2010, 08:11:30 AM

Quote from: Blackisback on July 18, 2010, 10:28:55 PM
So why would someone living in a dangerous desert world not immediately notice those who are armed and those who aren't? Too stupid to make that distinction?

How about we just agree to disagree?

Sounds like a good suggestion to me.  In fact, I'm willing to go so far as to say it's the best one I've ever heard.  Blackisblack deserves a medal.
Not sure what all the buttrapey posts are about; a brief, unobtrusive line under a sdesc signifying if they're armed or not would be neat.

If your PC has keen enough senses to see some dude walking into a room, he/she can just as easily see them walk into a room wielding a bigass sword.

It'd be a pretty swanky addition for certain situations aswell.

The tall man crumples to the ground.
You stab the tall man's neck, wounding him.

Grinning, you exclaim, in sirihish:
"Ah yeah, look at all this 'sid!"
Wipes his knife off on his pantleg and goes to root through the tall man's body.

The figure in a hooded red tabard has entered from the east
-He is armed
-He is armed
-He is armed

Quote from: Gobbleneck on July 19, 2010, 09:25:34 AM
Sounds like a good suggestion to me.  In fact, I'm willing to go so far as to say it's the best one I've ever heard.  Blackisblack deserves a medal.
Not sure what all the buttrapey posts are about; a brief, unobtrusive line under a sdesc signifying if they're armed or not would be neat.

If your PC has keen enough senses to see some dude walking into a room, he/she can just as easily see them walk into a room wielding a bigass sword.

It'd be a pretty swanky addition for certain situations aswell.

The tall man crumples to the ground.
You stab the tall man's neck, wounding him.

Grinning, you exclaim, in sirihish:
"Ah yeah, look at all this 'sid!"
Wipes his knife off on his pantleg and goes to root through the tall man's body.

-He is armed
-He is armed
-He is armed

Exactly. But, instead of making valid arguments I guess it's easier to accuse someone of being "lazy".

Or even..

The armed figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.
The armed tall figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.
The armed tall and obese figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 19, 2010, 09:32:37 AM
Or even..

The armed figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.
The armed tall figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.
The armed tall and obese figure in the red and white tabard has arrived from the west.

No, that's lame.

I think the 'holding a backpack' thing was a strawman mostly, if I'm thinking straight enough to use that term right. It shows up for different reasons.

To be honest, I don't care much one way or the other whether this was put in or not, personally. I just had a tangential want. So someone else decide.  ;)

I can't even begin to comment on this without being highly abusive.

If you're too goddamn fucking lazy to 'look' or 'assess' then you get what you fucking deserve.

BING.  Welcome to your next goddamn PC.

Eventually you'll figure it the fuck out.

Know your environment, and pay special attention to the crazy fuckers who live there.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Whoa, calm down there cupcake. It's just a game, try not to get so high and mighty over a suggestion.

Besides, it's not about being lazy, it's about having a quick notification that makes sense. If you are in a room with 6 other pcs, 3 of them are armed, you should know it just by looking at the room, not them.

Stop taking it so personally, jeez.

really...you should?

No.

You enter the gaj, a dimly lit room, large, smoky, dusty, 30 or so people in it. Some standing, some sitting, many with backs to you are sides or whatever.

But you all want to automagickly know who all the armed people are?

Five people arrive from the east, heading down caravan way. twenty or more other people on the same section of road, did you notice the five, maybe, was there maybe people between you and them? Yes. Are they waving weapons in the air? No. Maybe they are holding them at thier sides, under them big fluffy cloaks.

No, over all, an unrealistic, bad idea that does not take the game world into consideration, causes spam and pushes code ahead of Roleplay.

Not to mention what Mali said.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Easy there Mali and X-D.  Blackisback didn't mean it as a personal insult or to upset you guys.

His suggestion is just for aesthetic value.  If you look at a room, you would be able to spot which fuckers are holding swords the same as you would be able to spot them standing or sitting there.
It doesn't have anything to do with laziness to >look or >assess

And yes, you should.

X-D, your scenarios only work in, well, those scenarios. I guess I could do the same by saying you're in a desolate wasteland during a bright and sunny day. A handful of bynners runs up on your elf buddies, 3 of them have weapons drawn, 3 don't. You -should- be able to tell which ones have weapons out without having to >look at them. This is the way the real world works, this is the way the gameworld should as well.

I think you guys need to take a chill pill, pull your heads out of the coded gameworld and step outside for a minute. Fresh air does the body good.

To suggest we're all raging at your suggestion is a silly and childish way to shrug off all the valid points we've brought up. Address them if you feel like continuing the argument, but don't insult our ability to reason with inane deflections.

I'm not shrugging off any suggestions, I'm countering with arguments of my own. However, I do think the people raging in this thread need to take a shower or suck on a binky.

No one is "raging" at you. People are becoming irritated because you've more than once now completely disregarded the point of someones post to nitpick at one or two little issues without taking the full scope of the argument into consideration.

I don't think that's enough to merit a couple adults taking time out of their lives to rage on the internet about an internet video game.

So now you're just openly trolling? I think this thread is done.

No, not at all. The thread was already finished when you said "agree to disagree", but then Malifaxis felt inclined to rage. Hopefully he's gotten it out of his system.

TLDR MY GAMEWORLD ARRRGHH

How in the world did a simple suggestion like this trigger this much aggression in folks?  ???

Quote from: Nahara on July 19, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
How in the world did a simple suggestion like this trigger this much aggression in folks?  ???
Once again... welcome to GDB!   ::) :P

But seriously, it's not because we're a bunch of jerks.  It's about passion.  We all love this game, and care very much about many of its smallest details.

Quote from: Blackisback on July 19, 2010, 01:37:34 PM
No, not at all. The thread was already finished when you said "agree to disagree", but then Malifaxis felt inclined to rage. Hopefully he's gotten it out of his system.

TLDR MY GAMEWORLD ARRRGHH

That wasn't rage, that was pointing out that you're unreasonably refusing to listen to what's been said.  Some, like myself...just have an abrasive conversational style.  It's not that we're -trying- to, it's just a matter of being blunt.  So don't think you were raged at, as that was actually checked.  But, as noted...there are already means in game of quickly identifying whether or not people are armed.

I'll put it this way.  If you want to be a alert, and aware, and perceptive of all those who might be armed...it is not a passive thing.  There are plenty of people who are -not- actively paying attention who shouldn't receive that boon.  Being alert, and aware, is an active state, which requires it to be an active endeavor on your part, the player.  Be alert.  Be attentive.  Check on people.  If there were a compromise to be made...I'd say attach it to the watch skill.

>watch weapons
You are now watching for armed people.

>The short figure in a dark, hooded cloak has arrived from the west. (Armed)

>l

>The short figure in a dark, hooded cloak is standing here.  (Armed)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 19, 2010, 01:41:50 PM
Quote from: Nahara on July 19, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
Once again... welcome to GDB!   ::) :P

But seriously, it's not because we're a bunch of jerks.  It's about passion.  We all love this game, and care very much about many of its smallest details.

I can accept that.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 19, 2010, 01:33:29 PM
This sounds like a fine idea to me.

I never said I didn't like the idea. In fact I don't even know how I got stuck arguing against it. It's an interesting idea. I just don't find it very realistic to be to so omniscient, think it adds spam, and makes sneakies less able to discreetly stab people. There's enough problems with the idea that it just doesn't seem worth the time to implement without offering some levity to all the concerns people have about it.

July 19, 2010, 01:52:25 PM #73 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:14:02 PM by Nechomacus
*DELETED*

July 19, 2010, 01:57:30 PM #74 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:07:00 PM by Marauder Moe
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 19, 2010, 01:47:44 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 19, 2010, 01:33:29 PM
This sounds like a fine idea to me.

I never said I didn't like the idea. In fact I don't even know how I got stuck arguing against it. It's an interesting idea.
That statement wasn't really directed at anyone, but...

QuoteI just don't find it very realistic to be to so omniscient,
I don't think it's terribly omniscient to look around the room briefly and see which people are holding big old swords.  Also, as has been mentioned, there's already several other types of "omniscience" in this game that the vast majority of players are perfectly content with.

Quotethink it adds spam,
So does looking at each person, except look echoes to everyone else in the room too.

Also, it's been suggested that a brief mode could turn off the armed tags for people who don't want to see them.

Quoteand makes sneakies less able to discreetly stab people.
It's also been suggested that small weapons like daggers wouldn't cause someone to appear as armed.

QuoteThere's enough problems with the idea that it just doesn't seem worth the time to implement without offering some levity to all the concerns people have about it.
Seems to me all those problems have had proposed solutions in this thread, which you seem to have simply ignored.

EDIT:
Also...
Quote from: X-D on July 18, 2010, 08:36:11 PMNext thing you know people will want to know if somebody is naked without looking, soon we walk into a room and get 7 pages of eq spam from 2 PCs. No thanks.
Actually, yes I would like a naked tag too.

If that means that one PC could generate a block of text about how he's naked, armed, glowing, flying, surrounded by magick fire of doom, and carrying a couch, so be it, because that's something most people would notice immediately.