Alcohol Limit

Started by GloriousSalarri, July 16, 2010, 03:10:12 AM

I was just curious. Is it possible to make your alcohol limit raise or is some one that drinks two ales and gets drunk always going to be like that?
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

It's a hidden skill. Twink to your heart's content.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Lol, thanks.

*end of thread*
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

Why is it a hidden skill?

Wouldn't it be cool if:

Alcohol Tolerance (novice)

That way you could actually know if you are a light weight or not.

With this new trend of knowing what you are capable of.

(personally I don't think we should have -any- hidden skills, show me offence/deffence and magick missile)

Quote from: Shepard on July 16, 2010, 12:51:28 PM
Why is it a hidden skill?

Wouldn't it be cool if:

Alcohol Tolerance (novice)

That way you could actually know if you are a light weight or not.

With this new trend of knowing what you are capable of.

(personally I don't think we should have -any- hidden skills, show me offence/deffence and magick missile)

The staff have said in the past that they don't display offense or defense because those two skills don't exactly work like other skills....

Maybe it's the same way for tolerances?

That's a good question. o-O

Because most drunks don't think they're drunk. What makes you think they'd know what their skill level is? To a drunk, their skill level is <master> at all times.

Even to someone who's just slightly tipsy - they usually don't realize they're not fit to drive. They think they know if they are or not, but their thinking is impaired when they've been drinking. Being able to stand out in a desert for 3 hours without getting thirsty, knowing that spice takes 7 RL hours to wear off, knowing how hard a punch you can take in a bar brawl..

none of these things are visible measurable skills. There are lots of attributes people have, that are not visible, measurable skills. Tolerance for alcohol, spice, dehydration, hunger..there's no skill for any of these on your skills list. You know you're hungry because you get the "you're hungry" message. You know you're drunk because stat shows you're a little tipsy, as does the drink command, as does you tripping over your feet when you try to walk, as does passing out, as does "she reeks of alcohol" sniff command echo. There are lots of ways to examine and experiment with your tolerance for alcohol, no need for another.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 16, 2010, 01:06:25 PM
Because most drunks don't think they're drunk. What makes you think they'd know what their skill level is? To a drunk, their skill level is <master> at all times.

Even to someone who's just slightly tipsy - they usually don't realize they're not fit to drive. They think they know if they are or not, but their thinking is impaired when they've been drinking. Being able to stand out in a desert for 3 hours without getting thirsty, knowing that spice takes 7 RL hours to wear off, knowing how hard a punch you can take in a bar brawl..

none of these things are visible measurable skills. There are lots of attributes people have, that are not visible, measurable skills. Tolerance for alcohol, spice, dehydration, hunger..there's no skill for any of these on your skills list. You know you're hungry because you get the "you're hungry" message. You know you're drunk because stat shows you're a little tipsy, as does the drink command, as does you tripping over your feet when you try to walk, as does passing out, as does "she reeks of alcohol" sniff command echo. There are lots of ways to examine and experiment with your tolerance for alcohol, no need for another.

There are similar things we could have done with most every other skill before the skill levels were implemented....

I think alcohol tolerance is fine as it is.  You don't need to know how you rate in the grand scheme of things or versus others.  You should be able to figure out how much you can safely drink, though, by doing it.  You know that you can drink two beers without getting blitzed?  Okay, but that doesn't mean you know where you stand in the grand scheme of things.  You can do this already in game, which is realistic and just fine.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have to say, most drunk I've ever know, knew they was drunk.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 16, 2010, 04:59:17 PM

talk (swallowing) I'm naw, not a dunk. Not a...drunk. I, I just...like t' drunk. To...th'...drinkin'.
emote Moving with exquisite care but doubtful control, @ grabs a double handful of %gunslinger tunic and uses it to wipe ^me nose.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 16, 2010, 04:59:17 PM

Officer: You're all over the road.
Motorist: I know.
Officer: How much have you had to drink?
Motorist: None at all.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2061097655191972206#docid=-8323923255653183010

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

lol, that sentence could easily qualify me as being drank.

I need my speculars!
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.