Force dismount!

Started by Spoon, July 12, 2010, 12:15:47 PM

Surely if throwing can dismount people, shouldn't attacks that cause people to reel from the blow do the same (or have a chance at least?)?

Or would this cause a big imbalance? Or does this already happen and I haven't been paying attention? :P

Adding to this, I think heavy blows to the legs or feet should have a chance of unsaddling a riding opponent.  Reel, definitely, but it's hard to keep your foot in a stirrup (or even worse, braced on the slick shell of a bare-back war beetle) when your knee or ankle has an axe in it.

Just my two chalton boots on the situation.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

So far as I have ever seen this is wholly dependant upon how good a rider you are.

I like the idea of reeling blows having a significant chance at knocking someone from their mount. I imagine this would still be a rare occurance though.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

While I think the idea is realistic enough, I think that it would likely turn into an instant death scenario like the reel lock that happened when it was first introduced. One reel on a mounted rider and blam, they're on the ground prone to be hacked to death in moments, worse still, if they are reeled again while prone after the initial attack. I think it would make for too much unbalance in favor of an unmounted combatant vs. a mounted one, when realistically, it should be the other way around. I think more changes would have to be done in order to make this idea work. Like making it more advantageous to be mounted vs. an unmounted combatant to begin with.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

*quiet cough*

I'm for the idea, as long as the chance of being dismounted is proportionate to your ride & combat skills.

I like the original post.  + 1.  Maybe like a similar attack to disarm.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Sometimes you need to take into consideration if these changes would enhance the game or actually have a negative impact. I think a change like this would certainly be considered a nerf and would most certainly change the game in a negative way. I understand it is difficult to find that perfect balance of realisim and playability.

Isn't it already possible to unseat a rider with bash?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 12, 2010, 05:44:44 PM

Yeah, this is what I thought.

I got all excited and happy.

I thought this was about adding a way to pull people form the mount. Such as subdue or something. I don't think you can subdue mounted people.

Eh.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Only those cheater NPCs get to do that.

Quote from: mattrious on July 12, 2010, 05:41:49 PM
Sometimes you need to take into consideration if these changes would enhance the game or actually have a negative impact. I think a change like this would certainly be considered a nerf and would most certainly change the game in a negative way. I understand it is difficult to find that perfect balance of realisim and playability.

I agree with Mattrious on this.

While the idea does sound realistic, it would sacrifice a lot of playability, and just add to further difficulties, especially for new players and new PCs.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 12, 2010, 05:48:25 PM

Yeah, this is what I thought.

I'm not certain, but I have a feeling I've tried this and you get a negative message back about them being mounted.

Perhaps if one were able to bash the mount and knock it over, the rider should be thrown, but as is not unless your twice the size of both. I feel that one should consider the mount to be in motion and the rider would turn the mount as to deter the rampaging charge of a being on foot.

That said I would like to see things suck as pikes able to dismount a rider as pikes were intended for combating mounted riders, mostly charges I realize, but still I could see a realism to such a coarse of interaction.

Reels are an interesting thought as well, perhaps a delay on both sides for such a thing giving the rider a chance to stand and the ground fighter pause to maneuver around the mount (just for playability) Though this would be an Arm 2 adaptation I am sure.

Some times I think it would be more realistic to kill a mount than its rider. What if you reeled the mount and it then threw its rider.

For the record I believe (and I could be wrong) but certain mounts are described as having a saddle.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.