It'd be nice if...

Started by Malifaxis, July 10, 2010, 10:30:53 AM

Armag had some cool code for making sand sculptures.  Possibly based off the scribble code?

http://leenks.com/gallery1253.htm

Here's some examples from the list:

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

...are you suggesting that there's moisture beneath the top layer of sand?
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on July 10, 2010, 11:48:01 AM
...are you suggesting that there's moisture beneath the top layer of sand?

I'm suggesting urine.  Copious amounts of urine.

sniff room
Your nose recoils from the overpowering reek of urine coming from the north.

think (glad) Must be getting closer to the museum!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Those are really awesome sand sculptures.
I ruin immershunz.

Blown away.. awsomeness.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

It'd be nice if we had coded art.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Art is for northerners. Tuluk Delenda Est.

Quote from: Delstro on July 11, 2010, 02:06:02 PM
It'd be nice if we had coded art.

We do, I believe.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

How about an art skill?
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Delstro on July 12, 2010, 04:03:57 PM
How about an art skill?

We do have a mastercrafting system for people that reach that level in a crafting skill.  That opens the door to sculptures, carvings, instruments, tools, jewelry...etc.  If it can be crafted, one can say it is art in a sense.  If you mean we don't have a painting skill, no, we don't have that, but we do have dyeing, which demonstrates an understanding of colors and dyes--things one may use in painting, perhaps.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Not saying that this would be accepted (the painting thing, that is) but there's a lot already out there that can definitely be done.

Noted and I like your style.
> forage artifacts

If I really wanted to play a painter, what I would do is special app a merchant/bard with the ability to send in a painting as a master crafted object once a month after a pre-specified time. (I would suggest three months minimum).  People don't start with maxxed crafting skills, and I doubt they would approve of maxxed virtual ones in the same light.

During this three months I would role play painting with tools available IG (canvases, paints, etc).  Fail some, do good with some.  Send in logs.
You should occasionally junk canvas and paints to represent the use and financial expenses of learning the trade (armor crafters don't get to get good at armorcrafting by crafting up a bunch of free virtual hides, so you shouldn't expect to be able to with a virtual skill either).

Staff have a policy of not saying whether or not they would accept a special app before you actually submit a special app, so I would suggest not asking about it and just send in a special application if this is something you are serious about.

If you choose to do this, good luck!!!
(as with any special application, be sure you have a good, thoroughly thought out concept and quadrupedal-check your application for errors and what-not)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

well you have two really easy options:

1. Scribble you can do this one walls as well as sand.. murals made easier. though you must be concise.

2. Drop descriptions, I once had a bard that had lived a good length of time, this bard had taken time to study drawing and painting. So the bard's apartment had several paintings on the wall, later claimed by their Patron.

I used crop descriptions for this, such as, above a trunk pushed against the wall hangs a large painting of a generic feature race atop some natural land next to blah blah with such and such grazing near by. a raging weather pattern looms in the distant sky.

Adding colors and more or less details, throwing in words like realism, abstracted or simple patterns are good. can even make portraits. Use to sit and sketch others.

One thing is that their is no real object and the description become part of the room.
Save the description in case of reboot.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

God I would love to run around obliterating all of those with kicks.

Cool stuff, but why use such a frail medium for such beautiful art? I suppose it takes a lot of skill to not screw one up, that might be the appeal.

Some of them looked HUGE it might take you some time if you tried.