Target Practice.

Started by Ampere, June 28, 2010, 08:42:55 PM

Who here agrees that one should be able to throw/shoot at a dummy?

No: it's unrealistic that someone would practice on an inanimate target.
4 (5.2%)
No: it's not fair that the privileged receive privileges.
2 (2.6%)
Who cares: ?
15 (19.5%)
Yes: it's the right thing to do.
38 (49.4%)
Other: ?
18 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

That's what I thought.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

June 28, 2010, 08:46:02 PM #1 Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:48:12 PM by 1
Just so you know, there is at least one dummy IG that has an intended use for archery practice.

BUT it is in an archery hall, far away, in another room, from the user. Without people sparring all around it.

IF you are talking about a sparring dummy, in a sparring hall, I'd say no... Too dangerous. BUT in principle, you can throw or shoot anything for practice realisticly.

I'd not mind seeing more places get archery halls. For such practice.

Though only in a archery hall. Since in a sparring hall, most dummies are surrounded by virtual NPCs sparring.

WAY TOO DANGEROUS to fire arrows into the area.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

As far as I know, the reason this is not allowed in the large outdoor practice yards is due to a problem with the dummies' script.

But, yeah, it's a huge shame that we don't have cheap, readily-available archery targets.  And that arrows are so expensive.  There's got to be some better way to balance the skill, if that's the issue.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yep, it's the way they work. So I go for Other, because the other two 'no' answers had weird reasons tagged to them.

No: as far as I know, it's against the rules unless in a specific archery area.

Yes you should be able to. But if it's not in a place specifically set aside for it, expect IC consequences.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

There is also an archery field in the game, with a target, that is also away from the user and not surrounded by people sparring.

I know the complaint has come up before but, in most clans where people -would- learn archery, I think it's reasonable to try and get an archery yard/field/indoor ring built, ICly. In the south, probably not so much - maybe the Arena and Tor could put something together for public use..or rental for clan use..

in coded tribal encampments I could definitely see archery practice yards.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think that the Arm of the Dragon and House Tor should have access to archery practice facilities.  Having played a ranger in AoD and the Tor Academy, it was frustrating to have no reasonable way to practice archery (as opposed to using it, untrained, in combat).  I know it's expensive in the south, but at least those two clans have good reason to pour money on combat gadgetry.

There are archery dummies in game.  If you want one, get one IG and don't shoot at the melee dummies.  That is all.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There are plenty of ways to justify doing it IC.

The problem is that it is virtually (if not literally) impossible to hit standard sparring dummies with arrows, due to some artifact of how they are coded as NPCs. Thus, it is a trivial task to completely max out your archery skill (even as a ranger) by doing nothing but shooting at the dummy.

Clearly, the dummies are not intended to be -that- useful in terms of skill gain, because they are virtually (if not literally) useless for training standard melee combat skills.  Thus, I think using them for target practice could easily be construed as bug abuse.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 29, 2010, 06:10:47 AM
The problem is that it is virtually (if not literally) impossible to hit standard sparring dummies with arrows, due to some artifact of how they are coded as NPCs. Thus, it is a trivial task to completely max out your archery skill (even as a ranger) by doing nothing but shooting at the dummy.

The one "dummy" target that I have encountered in game and that was intended for archery/throwing practice operated in precisely this way.  I was given strict OOC rules about its use.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

The only thing that bothers me is the not being able to practice backstab. I apologize in advance for the ensuing derail I may have just unleashed.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: spawnloser on June 28, 2010, 11:25:27 PM
There are archery dummies in game.  If you want one, get one IG and don't shoot at the melee dummies.  That is all.

If I walk up to an agent of the appropriate merchant house with enough sid to buy a tent, you think I can get one?  Or are there structural barriers to this ever actually happening?

Yes please! I nearly always roll a ranger, but have never used the archery skill because of this.  This thread has stirred a deep seated not-so tiny Want.The one time I was getting close to that archery range, my PC stuffed things up.
Even if you could aim at a stone with your stone.

Quote from: Barzalene on June 29, 2010, 09:14:14 AM
The only thing that bothers me is the not being able to practice backstab. I apologize in advance for the ensuing derail I may have just unleashed.

How could an inanimate sparring dummy in anyway help learn proper stealth and technique to backstab.

It makes perfect sense not to allow it to be practiced on the dummys.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

June 29, 2010, 03:25:25 PM #15 Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:31:31 PM by jhunter
Quote from: Durant on June 29, 2010, 03:19:45 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on June 29, 2010, 09:14:14 AM

How could an inanimate sparring dummy in anyway help learn proper stealth and technique to backstab.

It makes perfect sense not to allow it to be practiced on the dummys.

Actually I could see it helping in a minor way with specialized dummies. Dummies with vital locations marked out on them and the use of a paint tipped dagger to practice striking the vital locations in single strikes. Back on track, I think it would be awesome if there were archery targets that one could purchase to set out and practice shooting. You could have beginner (large) targets, set to a certain defense against missles. Intermediate (medium) targets, a bit more difficult to hit. Advanced (small) targets, a bit tougher. And up to expert (tiny), the most difficult stationary targets.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

For the love of god, let's not have the backstab discussion.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

There's already plenty of purchasable archery/melee/backstab targets in Arm - they're called half-elves. And if you're lucky, you can get your money back.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

There are target dummies that are different from sparring dummies, but they don't appear widely IG, and there really should be an easier way to practice archery.

I would personally like to see code from the dartboard game transferred onto some sort of round, dartboard-like archery target object that can be shot with a bow and arrow. Shots that hit the center would count as an archery 'success'. Shots that hit off-center or miss the target completely should count as an archery 'failure'. Ideally, these archery targets would be easier to set up than the current target dummies, and hopefully make a little more sense to use.

pull quiver
shoot target
You shoot a round archery target with a pink-fletched, steel-headed arrow.
It hits the center! You get 5 points!

I voted other because I believe the current slew of dummies in various training halls across the Known just aren't designed to be perforated. They're sacks of rock and sand and are apparently difficult to come by, it'd make sense they don't want people putting (unneeded) holes in them by shooting at them willy nilly.

I think that specially designed targets would be a completely different kettle of weezer larvae, one of balance, for example.

I also think especially adapted ammunition (blunt-ended) or lower-pull bows used on dummies would be another kettle, albeit a more finicky and over-complicated one.

Quote from: Thorg on June 29, 2010, 05:11:53 PM
I voted other because I believe the current slew of dummies in various training halls across the Known just aren't designed to be perforated. They're sacks of rock and sand and are apparently difficult to come by, it'd make sense they don't want people putting (unneeded) holes in them by shooting at them willy nilly.

I think that specially designed targets would be a completely different kettle of weezer larvae, one of balance, for example.

I also think especially adapted ammunition (blunt-ended) or lower-pull bows used on dummies would be another kettle, albeit a more finicky and over-complicated one.

What happened to a bail of plant matter and red paint?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
put all bag
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
get rock
put all bag
close bag
drop bag
s
s
s
shoot bag n

I wish....

:'(

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 29, 2010, 05:55:05 PM

What happened to a bail of plant matter and red paint?

Defilers.

That's what.

I think templar's don't use their punishments enough to give their men target practice.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

June 29, 2010, 06:34:54 PM #24 Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:20:21 PM by Salt Merchant
It should be possible to throw or shoot all you want.

Just so long as it's nearly impossible to miss if you have any skill at all. Unless the dummy is somehow reasonably distant.
Lunch makes me happy.