Prostitution - Expectations?

Started by Praetorian, June 20, 2010, 01:33:09 PM

I would have no issue whatsoever with a prostitute who faded.  Though I'm not going to care much if they ooc 'She was amazing at it.'  Amazing is a matter of taste, and varies too much...so she'll get a tip, but not a huge one, because I really don't know if the character would've been -that- into her or not.

Just kinda one of those weird things.  But I agree with cutthroat.  There are plenty of ways to play a prostitute without playing out all the sex scenes.  They add to the atmosphere of the game, which is more what I'm worried about.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 24, 2010, 06:52:44 PM
Quote from: Preacher on June 24, 2010, 01:52:07 PM
On payment - agree with Cutthroat - it happened, pay for it, treat it as any other ic event.

That's not to say it didn't happen or you shouldn't get paid for it. I'm just saying... I understand why a player might be upset if they hired your character to go out, hunt, and bring them back 10 pelts (so that they could, say, make a jacket, turn a profit, and keep paying indie hunters), and got pissed at you, as a player, if you came back with 10 rped (virtual) pelts, that you hunted in your virtual time, while actually logged off. Sure, you rped it happened. Sure, you rped you have ten pelts. But that's not going to have the same result as you doing it all. Actually going through the motions and doing it. In fact, probably more than a few players would complain.

While I understand that sexual RP is consensual, it would make no sense to make a prostitute character and never expect to act out your characters trade (IMO). Much as you don't have to 'actually' hunt every day you're logged in with your GMH hunter and slacking off altogether will screw over the merchants who depend on the crafts they'd make from the things your hunter brings in, you don't 'have' to play out scenes.

IMO, it's still bullshit to make a prostitute character with the intention of never acting out their trade. Much as it would be bullshit to make a hunter and literally never hunt. Or a merchant who literally never trades, or a sneaky who literally never does sneaky stuff. Once again, just an opinion, but I would think that, on a common sense level, the people who wanted to generally avoid explicit sex RP would avoid making a pc whose trade revolves around the EXACT thing they want to avoid. Much like: I don't like burglars, so I don't play them.

Whatever, those aren't comparable. Being short both 10 hides and 200 'sid is something that affects your character IC-wise. If you get FTB'd after buying a hooker, you character ICly hasn't been robbed of anything.

When it comes to a FTB sex scene, your character codedly has no more or no less benefit than they do with a fully played out sex scene. The only difference is whether or not the player gets to engage in cybersex. Whether or not the player gets to engage in cybersex is an utterly OOC matter which should have no bearing at all on IC matters (like how much the prostitute is paid).

Really there should be no pity for people who exchange IG goods for OOC benefits, or vice versa. I don't think there's anything wrong with people interested in roleplaying prostitues not actually wanting to be actual prostitutes...selling cybersex for IG items. As for the people who get upset when they don't actually get cybersex in exchange for their 'sids...WTF? Do they even exist?

Kevo, I found your post both illuminating and lucid.  Thanks for putting it out there.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Kevo on June 22, 2010, 12:22:07 AM

Remember, wankers, if you want to know how somethings tastes/feels/reacts, offer something analogous in your emote, and it will most likely get returned. Second, if you plan on roleplaying out long sessions, go to a thesaurus website, and get yourself some synonyms, for krath's sake, no one wants to see 'fat cock' typed out sixty different times.

Overweight cock?
Corpulent cock?
Portly cock?
Stout cock?
Big boned cock?
Hefty cock?
Chubby cock?
Morbidly obese cock?

Agree with Bluefae though.  Nice post.  Thanks.
The mottled, tattooed half-elf stops using his dusty long-legged brown cricket.

Think Poor cricket...

Amanda is right - if you play a prostitute, you should be prepared to play the ensuing couplings.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

You shouldn't play a citizen of Allanak, then, if you can't play through torture.  There are templars around, after all and they have the power/privilege to do so whenever they want.

Hey!  You shouldn't play a character at all if you can't play through a rape scene.  I mean, honestly, people get raped just like prostitutes get their nookie on.  I mean, come on.  If you can't play through a rape scene, you shouldn't make a character in this game.

[/sarcasm]

I don't think I need to say much else, but I will anyway, so that this post isn't all catty.  Honestly, people play character they want to play for different reason.  You can play a slut because you think your character should be a slut without being forced to to play that character in a certain way.  Deal with it.  If your character gets nookie and the deal was that your character will pay for it, your character should... and you having your character refuse because YOU didn't get virtual nookie?  That's an OOC decision affecting IC actions.  Poor roleplay.

Now, I understand the argument that if you are playing a warrior that becomes a soldier, you'd better be prepared to roleplay through bashing heads and killing folks.  Understandable that this should be expected.  None of those things require consent, though.  THAT is the big difference.  Anything requiring consent to proceed with the scene, our character should be able to engage in those things without US having to engage in those things.  I think the argument that 'you chose your character's profession so should be prepared to roleplay it' may have a point, but it still doesn't stack up against that 'consent' issue.  It takes things OOC that should be IC.  Let people play their characters and be the better person and a better roleplayer by not letting your OOC wants/desires affect our characterss IC wants/desires/actions, okay?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 26, 2010, 01:01:09 PM
Amanda is right - if you play a prostitute, you should be prepared to play the ensuing couplings.

No one is ever obligated to roleplay out sex.  Ever.  Posts like those can mislead people into believing otherwise.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

My most successful prostitute PC was very prolific, but I was always extremely cautious about consent. Even if it was someone who had RP'd it before, prior to things getting graphic, I would OOCly offer to fade or request consent and verification of 18+ age. You never know when peoples' minds will change, you never know if someone is just there for flavor or if they'd actually like to play things out. If you just assume and go ahead with it, that's a violation of the other player's right to refuse. Yes, the vast majority of my PCs' customers preferred to not fade, but you can never be too careful.

By the same token, it should never be the expectation that the prostitute PC won't fade. Taking the role is not auto-consent for sexual RP. There were times when I just didn't feel like playing it out, so I was the one choosing to fade. Others may just like the idea, but not the sweaty details. Just as my past Templar character always faded when he tortured people (frequently), so too am I not obligated to play out another kind of sensitive topic.

Of course, as others have said, I agree that fading should still be treated as though the service was given. If my PC hadn't been paid, she'd have been calling her "collection agency" for help.

Quote from: spawnloser on June 26, 2010, 02:19:24 PM
You shouldn't play a citizen of Allanak, then, if you can't play through torture.  There are templars around, after all and they have the power/privilege to do so whenever they want.

Hey!  You shouldn't play a character at all if you can't play through a rape scene.  I mean, honestly, people get raped just like prostitutes get their nookie on.  I mean, come on.  If you can't play through a rape scene, you shouldn't make a character in this game.

[/sarcasm]

I want to play a merchant who only sells virtual goods, but you better damn well pay me for them!!!
I want to play a bard who never actually RPs singing songs, but you better damn well pay me for FTBing after I walk up on stage.

Seriously though, as Niamh said, no one is ever obligated to roleplay out sex.
As common sense says, if you don't want to roleplay out a sex scene, pick one of the 20,000 possible professions other than prostitution.  COMMON SENSE.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

To add to my previous post:

Use common sense.  Don't play roles that will put you in positions you will feel uncomfortable with.

If you don't like having strict guidelines and being responsible for other PCs and doing OOC reports, don't apply for leadership roles.
If you don't feel comfortable with racism being directed toward you, don't play a half-elf.
If you don't like being stuck in the wilderness for long periods of time, don't app a non-ranger.
If you don't like the confines of the walls, don't join the Byn.
If you don't like the tediousness of the crafting code, don't play a crafting merchant.
If you don't like roleplaying alone, don't play in Red Storm, the Sewers or Gielgias.
If you don't like the idea of torture, don't app a maniacal serial killer who likes to torture his victims before doing them in.
If you don't like being in virtual sexual situations, don't apply for a virtual sex dealer.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

FW is totally wrong about Gielgias. It's a great place to hang out, lots of company.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 26, 2010, 09:46:15 PM
FW is totally wrong about Gielgias. It's a great place to hang out, lots of company.

SHHHH!!! I like it being my own little hangout!
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Fantasy Writer
As common sense says, if you don't want to roleplay out a sex scene, pick one of the 20,000 possible professions other than prostitution.  COMMON SENSE.

If you don't like being in virtual sexual situations, don't apply for a virtual sex dealer.

I agreed with you on your other examples, but common sense doesn't say this.

Common sense says if you don't want to roleplay a prostitute, don't play a prostitute.

Roleplaying a prostitute does not necessarily require roleplaying sex, because we are not forced to roleplay sex scenes for any reason. Roleplaying a prostitute involves, IMO, adding flavor to the game in the form of being a salesperson and a socialite in the world. It does not require any willingness to roleplay a sex scene.

When you are playing a prostitute, you are playing a PC that is selling his or her own body. You are not selling mudsex. There can be a situation where a player is perfectly fine with playing out the other aspects of prostitution but not the virtual sex. Think about what a prostitute has to do to get someone to have sex with him/her before any sex actually takes place.

Um, depends. A concubine's main job isn't sex..however a prostitute's is, pretty much by definition. And sex can vary from a night in someone's apartment, totally naked, exposed, avialable for easy backstabbing during the throbbing whatevers of sweaty lust, or as quick and easy as a blow-job in a back alley, which would leave the prostitute vulnerable, because she'd be the one on her knees (or he).

But yes, that IS the main function of a prostitute. To provide sexual services for his/her customers. That's what makes him/her a prostitute, and not a hunter, or an armor merchant, or a noble, or a bartender, or a clothier. A prostitute might make pretty silk clothing as a hobby, or on the side. And a hunter might sell sexual favors. But a hunter's primary job, is being a hunter. And a prostitute's primary job, is selling sex.

I don't disagree with that Lizzie. Again, a prostitute sells sex, but doesn't sell mudsex. That is my point. A prostitute can RP his/her trade without going into mudsex. It can be all about RPing the other aspects of being a prostitute, and fading through the sex. The sex is still there; it's just not roleplayed, because it doesn't have to be roleplayed, ever.

I think the original posters question has been more than answered... on the first page.

This is one of those subjects where everyone has their own opinion and isn't going to budge very far with it.
Probably best to let this one fade away.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So if my serial whore-killer only stabs his victim during the 9th thrust..
how do I fade it?

Exchange of coins and brief 2-line foreplay ensues.
The prostitute oocs, "ok let's fade"
ooc Okay we have to actually get undressed though.
The prostitute oocs, "we just do it virtually, saves time. so I'm undressed, and so are you, and I sit on you and we go at it awhile."
ooc uh..sorry but that can't happen that way, because your character needs to actually BE undressed.
The prostitute oocs, "really - just fade and we're done now and I was good but not great, and we're sweaty."
ooc No can do, because I need to be able to kill you.
The prostitute has just left Armageddon.
You are now locked in the prostitute's apartment, and she logged out with your sids.

If someone wants to play a whore who fades it doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. If they get less repeat business than the whore who doesn't fade, that may just be a reality. It hardly seems like a big deal to me. As for the serial killer. ooc On the ninth thrust my guy pulls out a knife. let's take it from here, or figure out what happens.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Hey as long as she has a script that has her spam-remove all that chitinous plate armor she bought to protect herself when she goes scrab hunting as a side job, it's all good. But if shes gonna "virtually" take off her clothes, then I'm gonna "virtually" pay her and find some other way of killing her another time.

Well, you go ahead and do what you have to do.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

To me:

Virtually: Happened when I'm not online. So when the prostitute is working when I'm not making decisions, and yes, they will take virtual coin, and buy virtual food, and do virtual things.

Fade: Something that happened while online, and is a result of decsions made by the PC's involved.

Man, it's kind of funny to see people worked up about spending 100 sids on a fade.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 26, 2010, 11:35:02 PM
Man, it's kind of funny to see people worked up about spending 100 sids on a fade.

Most hookers I've seen have gone anywhere from 300 to 1000.

Average seems to be 300-400.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 26, 2010, 11:37:09 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on June 26, 2010, 11:35:02 PM

Most hookers I've seen have gone anywhere from 300 to 1000.

Average seems to be 300-400.

... what... the fuck... are people doing charging over a month's wages for decently ranked employees in well-paid organizations?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

June 26, 2010, 11:49:07 PM #99 Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:51:29 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 26, 2010, 09:42:55 PM
To add to my previous post:

Use common sense.  Don't play roles that will put you in positions you will feel uncomfortable with.

If you don't like having strict guidelines and being responsible for other PCs and doing OOC reports, don't apply for leadership roles.
If you don't feel comfortable with racism being directed toward you, don't play a half-elf.
If you don't like being stuck in the wilderness for long periods of time, don't app a non-ranger.
If you don't like the confines of the walls, don't join the Byn.
If you don't like the tediousness of the crafting code, don't play a crafting merchant.
If you don't like roleplaying alone, don't play in Red Storm, the Sewers or Gielgias.
If you don't like the idea of torture, don't app a maniacal serial killer who likes to torture his victims before doing them in.

Why? You're acting like you can't find enjoyment in a role as a prostitute, while fading. You're acting like there will be consequences if you do this. There should be none. If people think they will enjoy playing a prostitute that fades then let them, and don't tell them they lack common sense for doing it. Like cutthroat said. There's more to a prostitutes life than just sex.

As for hooker prices. You'd have to be insane to pay over 200 coins. Then again I'd never buy a hooker in real life, so...