City-elf playability changes?

Started by creepyguy, June 15, 2010, 01:45:35 PM

August 11, 2010, 12:35:12 PM #75 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:37:42 PM by Nyr
Quote from: spicemustflow on August 11, 2010, 12:22:47 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on August 11, 2010, 10:28:54 AM
Not sure why it is sad.

I found the part with the animal collapsing sad.  To know you're going to die but you can't do a damn thing about it.

Nothing wrong at all with empathizing with your prey. The hunter in the video did.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClub on August 11, 2010, 03:22:09 PM
I present to you...Salarr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8&feature=related

Ok ... some of THAT hunting made me rather sad, especially the elephant.  Nonetheless ... holly hells, some of that hunting was dangerous.  Buffalo, elephants, and hippo can really rearrange someone's life if they don't get away from the animal fast enough.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Wow. That elephant was just standing there ripping the spears out of itself.

Watching that elephant sucked dog balls.

I'd rather watch a human get stuffed chock-full o' spears.

Now what the hell am I going to do with all this anger...
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 11, 2010, 04:39:03 PM

Malifaxis has arrived from the east.

You look at Malifaxis.
                                _______                                ___
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~   
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~     
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~       
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_   
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_ 
You may:                    ~-       __--~`_    /   _-~         ~.     ~_
(C) Disconnect from character      -~        \     _~       ___,  \ ~-_  \
(V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode       ,~ _-,       ~  _~         \   \  | , \ \ 
(B) Toggle 'brief' menus        / /~/      -~   /            ~  /  /  \~  \
(D) Documentation menu          | | \     _~    |        __-~  / _/  \~  '\
(M) Mail menu                   \ ~-_~   -   |  _      ~-____-~ .~  \~    |
(S) Stats of your character     /`.  __~~   ~   `_          __-~   \~    \~
(E) Enter Zalanthas             \_ ~~   .  |  .   ~-____--~~   \ \_~   _/~ 

Adding to the derail.

City-elves and desert elves should have a tribe that does this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGDv0KCJl8
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

August 11, 2010, 09:50:17 PM #82 Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:53:37 PM by FightClub
Quote from: Malifaxis on August 11, 2010, 04:39:03 PM

Think about that, next time you volunteer for a mekillot, bahamet, silt horror hunt, it's like that, x1000

---

Oh and back on topic. Complain about city elves all you want, and all you need to hear is one name -- SHARAK. The most badass elf ever, destroyed everything, and everyone, delf, celf, human, mul, half-giant, halfling babies -- everything. Think they're underpowered, just say it SHARAK, SHARAK, SHARAK. End story.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

You do realize that Sharak had a bunch of crazy shit going on that kind of makes him an apple to a normal city-elf's oranges, right?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I would say Rahnel, but you'd just blame it on defense nerfs.  The dude did still kill a Gaj on his own, though.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If you folks think city-elf warriors are so awesome, go ahead and roll one up and prove yourself wrong.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I use to dream of a glorious Kija vs Sharak showdown..
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 11, 2010, 10:41:08 PM
If you folks think city-elf warriors are so awesome, go ahead and roll one up and prove yourself wrong.

Done it.  Recently.  It kicked ass.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on August 11, 2010, 10:45:07 PM

Sorry, Kija would've got eaten alive -- in a very glorious way, however.

Quote from: FightClub on August 12, 2010, 12:28:49 AM

Probably eaten alive in a literal sense too. Sharak and all.

Quote from: Thunkkin on August 11, 2010, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on August 11, 2010, 10:41:08 PM

Done it.  Recently.  It kicked ass.

You aint alone.
-Reiloth

Rahnel wow.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: FightClub on August 12, 2010, 12:28:49 AM

I think it would have come down to player skill at this point.
-Reiloth

pof Sharak lived down the street from me when we were playing these characters at their height..

Kija was a pre-defense nerf character and his iso clanning versus Sharak's Allanak clanning, post-defense nerf creation..
A pre-defense nerf character + isolation and a no skilled combat practice partners? Kija was definitely more bark than bite.

It's not proper to go into much detail but there was definitely a Chosen One versus the Great Evil thing brewing that
simply never kicked off. It almost happened during that fateful Luirsfest, atleast one PC was aware of the other's nature.

Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on August 14, 2010, 06:39:35 PM
pof Sharak lived down the street from me when we were playing these characters at their height..

Kija was a pre-defense nerf character and his iso clanning versus Sharak's Allanak clanning, post-defense nerf creation..
A pre-defense nerf character + isolation and a no skilled combat practice partners? Kija was definitely more bark than bite.

It's not proper to go into much detail but there was definitely a Chosen One versus the Great Evil thing brewing that
simply never kicked off. It almost happened during that fateful Luirsfest, atleast one PC was aware of the other's nature.

I'd think Kija would have had longevity in his favor though, compared to Sharak. A fight between the two would have been great to see. Too bad it didn't come down to that.

While I never played a c-elf warrior, I can see how it's not that easy to pull off. But impossible and a waste of time? Not by far. I would consider any c-elf role an interesting challenge, especially with functional tribes in both city-states these days. Actually, I would consider a c-elf merchant in Allanak harder to play than a warrior, while it might be more feasible in the Tuluki tribe.

August 15, 2010, 02:58:16 AM #96 Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:01:26 AM by Timetwister
Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 11, 2010, 05:52:17 AM
There are some African tribes who hunt by running an chasing after their prey until it collapses to the ground out of sheer fucking exhaustion.

You can take your best Olympic endurance runner, and he'll fall behind like the city slicker he is.

There was a video on youtube documenting one of those tribal hunts.... And if I can find it, I'll post it up here.

I hope you're joking. Olympic endurance runners could easily keep pace with any of the hunters shown in the video you posted, and would probably outpace them. I understand there are subtle differences to trail running opposed to track running, but a runner is a runner is a runner. If you love running you'd do it anywhere and the best runners in the world can hold a 5 minute mile for 26 miles or more. Check out this marathon running link for records: http://www.marathonguide.com/history/records/alltimelist.cfm?Gen=M&Sort=Time

I don't think there's anything special about the other video you posted. It wouldn't be that hard at all for a good runner to run down animals. The tracking/hunting part would have to be learned by them but the running part would easily be covered. To think that other people have developed "natural" running abilities is kind of stupid. Hard work and dedication make you a great runner, not being born with good genes.

There is no group of people who are simply born better runners then others. There are groups of people who are raised into societies that value running and are therefore better than others at it. The same reason there are all sorts of sports that have societies that raise them into it and make the best of their generation. Just look at the Russians and tennis.

i wish I knew more of Sharak's story.  i just got in at the very end, and often wondered.

City elf warriors, the most deadly city elf warrior are the ones who hide like ghosts and move like the wind. One moment you're standing on the streets, then a second later, backstabdeath/sapknockoutdeath. Honestly, just hiding and sapping someone, elves seem good at this, and it's horribly dangerous. Dying by it sucks though.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Timetwister on August 15, 2010, 02:58:16 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 11, 2010, 05:52:17 AM
There are some African tribes who hunt by running an chasing after their prey until it collapses to the ground out of sheer fucking exhaustion.

You can take your best Olympic endurance runner, and he'll fall behind like the city slicker he is.

There was a video on youtube documenting one of those tribal hunts.... And if I can find it, I'll post it up here.

I hope you're joking. Olympic endurance runners could easily keep pace with any of the hunters shown in the video you posted, and would probably outpace them. I understand there are subtle differences to trail running opposed to track running, but a runner is a runner is a runner. If you love running you'd do it anywhere and the best runners in the world can hold a 5 minute mile for 26 miles or more. Check out this marathon running link for records: http://www.marathonguide.com/history/records/alltimelist.cfm?Gen=M&Sort=Time

I don't think there's anything special about the other video you posted. It wouldn't be that hard at all for a good runner to run down animals. The tracking/hunting part would have to be learned by them but the running part would easily be covered. To think that other people have developed "natural" running abilities is kind of stupid. Hard work and dedication make you a great runner, not being born with good genes.

There is no group of people who are simply born better runners then others. There are groups of people who are raised into societies that value running and are therefore better than others at it. The same reason there are all sorts of sports that have societies that raise them into it and make the best of their generation. Just look at the Russians and tennis.

Agreed.

Good marathon runners can sustain a pace of less than six minutes per mile. That's silly.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."