Skills (yet again)...

Started by JollyGreenGiant, July 08, 2003, 04:21:42 PM

I haven't been playing all that long, and I find myself curious about a few skill-related questions that have come to mind from some other topics I've read on the board.  So obviously, every character has some sort of starting skillset.  From that point on...

1. As your skills improve, at some point they "branch", and you get new skills?  Is there anything that indicates when this happens, or do you just have to periodically check your skill list to see if anything new has shown up?

2. You can be taught skills... will they then show up on your skill list?  Are there some skills that cannot be taught?  

3. You practice a skill that you don't have... what happens there? I don't have bandaging, for example.  If I practice bandaging, will I improve at it?  Will it ever appear on my skill list?  Are there some skills that will never appear on your skill list no matter how much you practice them?

Any answers would be appreciated, along with any level of detail you can provide, although "yes" and "no" will suffice, if giving more information would be too in-depth.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"
1. As your skills improve, at some point they "branch", and you get new skills?  Is there anything that indicates when this happens, or do you just have to periodically check your skill list to see if anything new has shown up?

2. You can be taught skills... will they then show up on your skill list?  Are there some skills that cannot be taught?  

3. You practice a skill that you don't have... what happens there? I don't have bandaging, for example.  If I practice bandaging, will I improve at it?  Will it ever appear on my skill list?  Are there some skills that will never appear on your skill list no matter how much you practice them?

Any answers would be appreciated, along with any level of detail you can provide, although "yes" and "no" will suffice, if giving more information would be too in-depth.

1)  There is no indication when you get a new skill.  It just shows up on your list.  Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.  For most things, it takes a very long time.

2)  If you are taught a skill not on your list, nothing happens.  You can only be taught skills you have, and only if the teacher is much better then you.

3)  If you practice a skill you don't have, you will never improve on it and it will never show up on your skill list.

Basically, what you have on your skill list is what you have.  Nothing gets added unless it is branched or an imm puts it there.  That said, you can certainly learn new things, it just has to be done through RP and with imm intervention.

Wow, easy questions,

Not all skills branch, no, you need to check now and again

You cannot be taught a skill you do not have.

The final question is a no, code wise.

Not to say it is not possible to get a skill your class would not normaly get, but the few times I know of it happening, it took a very long time and much intense RP and a staff member noticing...actually, I only know of one case.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Regarding question #3-

Yes, but only with two skills that I know of: ride and pilot. Even if ride is not on your skills list, you can still hop up onto a kank and ride. It -will- show up onto your list. Don't think you'll be able to be like a ranger, though. The same goes for pilot from what I understand.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Regarding question #1

A bright-eyed skill-fairy arrives from the east.

The air crackles as the bright-eyed skill-fairy waves her diamond-tipped wand.  

A jolt runs through your body, as you sense you have been granted a new skill!
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

#3 Im not positive but I believe skinning works in the same manner... someone please correct me if I am wrong.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Thanks for the info, everyone :)
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I thought just everyone has skinning. Like forage, and cooking.

Not everyone has foraging. And not everyone has skinning.

Also just to add to whoever mentioned that you could hop on a kank and ride even if you don't have the skill...

It's not a simple matter of hopping up on a kank and off you go.

If your skillset doesn't come with riding, you can mount the kank, but you won't go anywhere for awhile. You'll get a message saying you don't have that skill. Keep trying. Over and over again...emote the attempts so it doesn't get spammy...eventually it'll show up on your list and you'll be able to TRY to ride.

As far as I know the same goes for piloting.

#3)  I -think- that if you practise skills you don't have, you can get ever-so-slightly better at them (you can go from 0% to 2%, maybe).  For instance, I once had a fighting assassin in the Byn.  He managed to successfully kick someone once.

Ooh.  Forgot one.  I assume languages eventually show up in your skill list as you learn them?

Correct.  It takes a long time to get the skill on your list, but after that you can learn the language fairly quickly.
Languages, like psionics, cannot be taught with the command, you can only learn them by listening to others use them.

I had a ranger once who never landed a kick, but towards the end of his quite long life, he could successfully disarm assassins, burglers and pickpockets around 5-10% of the time...boy, I was definitly amazed the first time though.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I once got mad when my warrior got disarmed by a newb ranger....

Hmm.  Something else I thought of.  Is there an absolute maximum level that skills can reach?

Yes, and for each class it's different.
For instance, a warrior/tailor would never be an expert at clothworking, but a merchant would be able to train the skill to near 100%.