Question about family roles

Started by Barzalene, May 21, 2010, 07:59:32 AM

Clearly the created family members must have the family background in their background, but does the initial player have to have it as well. Or can you start a pc and later get a craving for kin and then go from there?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The initial player has to have it as well:

Quote from: AdhiraBolded another couple of words  - Initial background

Please note that if you intend to have pc family members show up for your character at some point this should be mentioned before you create the character, not something decided on after months of play.

So, it's something I'd want to have set up before my current pc dies I guess.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 21, 2010, 08:18:59 AM

Not necessarily. You can always put VNPC family in your background and only recruit players for them if you feel the urge later. When I recruited family, it was not even planned when I created my character. I just happened to have several VNPC family members in my background.

Quote from: Akaramu on May 21, 2010, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on May 21, 2010, 08:18:59 AM

Not necessarily. You can always put VNPC family in your background and only recruit players for them if you feel the urge later. When I recruited family, it was not even planned when I created my character. I just happened to have several VNPC family members in my background.

As long as they are all mentioned by name in the initial background, and you have cleared it with staff first.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on May 21, 2010, 08:01:23 PM
As long as they are all mentioned by name in the initial background, and you have cleared it with staff first.

Cleared with staff before recruiting players? Or before writing any sort of background that could involve players (or not) at some point?

Quote from: Akaramu on May 21, 2010, 08:39:45 PM
Quote from: Niamh on May 21, 2010, 08:01:23 PMAs long as they are all mentioned by name in the initial background, and you have cleared it with staff first.
Cleared with staff before recruiting players? Or before writing any sort of background that could involve players (or not) at some point?
Before recruiting.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Don't you also have to tell the staff who's playing each role?

It's all kind of complicated now.  Darn Lanyards.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on May 22, 2010, 03:05:51 PM
Don't you also have to tell the staff who's playing each role?

It's all kind of complicated now.  Darn Lanyards.

I don't think you have to tell staff -in advance- who's playing each role. But the players taking the roles (after the general family setup has been staff approved) need to add a clear note about it to their background when they submit their app.

So it -has- to be the initial background and not a bio entry later on?

I don't see the big deal there.... Every PC's gotta have family -somewhere-....

Unless they were slaughtered by gith when the char was three, and was raised by gortoks.....

I wanna try to put up a family role for a PC gortok now. :'(