The "steal" command....

Started by Qzzrbl, May 08, 2010, 12:03:54 PM

Should work 100% when the target is unconscious.

....Rather than stealing 5-20 'sids at a time from that 500 'sid pile in the target's inventory.

I agree on that particular part. What I don't agree with is being able to steal worn items off someone perfectly because they are sleeping. There should be a chance of failure and if it occurs, you wake them up trying to pull their clothes off. I had someone steal the cloak off a hg pc of mine while he was sleeping. For multiple reasons, I felt this was very unrealistic.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Something I was wondering about.  Can you take stuff from unconscious/dying bods without using the steal command?

Quote from: jhunter on May 08, 2010, 12:19:57 PM
I agree on that particular part. What I don't agree with is being able to steal worn items off someone perfectly because they are sleeping. There should be a chance of failure and if it occurs, you wake them up trying to pull their clothes off. I had someone steal the cloak off a hg pc of mine while he was sleeping. For multiple reasons, I felt this was very unrealistic.

Well, there'd be a difference between being knocked unconscious and sleeping.

I'd imagine it would be hard to steal an entire pile of 500 'sid from someone without waking them up, or armor, or clothing.

But with a target that's been soundly knocked out, I don't see why taking money is so hard.

Consider each steal attempt a handful of coins? Sure you could hold them all at once, but a steal attempt on an unconcious target is still furtive. That's my 5-20 sids, anyway... You should still be able get them all with a few attempts, which works well ICly as a few handfuls.

How do you take a pack off a guy who's -asleep-?

Depends really, but I would cut the straps and run.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Seems like an oversight. You don't get the "faint tugging" echo when you're unconscious, indicating the code already recognizes a difference between the two. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to steal the entire pile of coins if they're unconscious.

Quote from: Spoon on May 08, 2010, 05:54:28 PM
Consider each steal attempt a handful of coins? Sure you could hold them all at once, but a steal attempt on an unconcious target is still furtive. That's my 5-20 sids, anyway... You should still be able get them all with a few attempts, which works well ICly as a few handfuls.

In which case, I'd say it'd be nice to just use the "take" command on unconscious marks.

Because we're not always trying to be sneaky and furtive. ;)

Quote from: Saellyn on May 08, 2010, 06:04:37 PM

How many people do you know who sleep with their pack on their back?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 08, 2010, 09:52:11 PM

Too many.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

My preferred method is emoting pointing my spear mere inches from their face and kicking them roughly in the gut...then the robbery begins.

unconcious targets are different.
Free your hate.

Quote from: Nile on May 08, 2010, 11:25:05 PM
My preferred method is emoting pointing my spear mere inches from their face and kicking them roughly in the gut...then the robbery begins.

unconcious targets are different.

What does that have to do with the current discussion?

Take a walk in Portland Oregon during the spring summer and look at all the street kids, let will sleep with in on or under their heads.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Stealing coins should be a lot easier than it currently is.
> forage artifacts

Meh, I had a pickpocket who had 30,000 'sid in the bank after about 10 days...nothing but stealing things and finding dead newbs.  If you think it's hard, your character probably isn't any good at it.

Stealing from everything that you can doesn't sound much fun to me. I wasn't even able to steal coins until about 3 days in ebcause every attempt was a fail or near fail. I enjoy the climb more than the completing. As a strugglign pickpocket, stealing coins is much too hard.
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Delstro on May 09, 2010, 10:36:50 PM
Stealing from everything that you can doesn't sound much fun to me. I wasn't even able to steal coins until about 3 days in ebcause every attempt was a fail or near fail. I enjoy the climb more than the completing. As a strugglign pickpocket, stealing coins is much too hard.

but if you make it easier, then the climb (that you say you enjoy) is even shorter.

I'd prefer a lot more targets that you can steal coin from.
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Delstro on May 13, 2010, 02:03:20 PM
I'd prefer a lot more targets that you can steal coin from.

Try Tuluk.

(Is there anything that isn't easier in Tuluk?)

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 08, 2010, 11:06:12 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on May 08, 2010, 06:04:37 PMHow do you take a pack off a guy who's -asleep-?
Too many.
I don't think the question is, "How many characters sleep with their pack codedly worn?" like you've apparently mistaken it for.

The problem with stealing from sleeping people is that they don't get the message until the theft is complete.  If they're sleeping, the rifling through their pockets should come first, then the taking, so they should get some warning.

The problem with stealing from unconscious people is that you, yes, don't get everything when maybe you should (in the case of coins).

The problem with stealing from paralyzed people is that they are still awake, not sleeping or unconscious, so you have to mug them unless you also have the 'steal' skill.

That's what I think is wrong with the 'steal' skill/command.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Have I ever mentioned how much I want to be able to steal from subdued people?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.