Nenyuk

Started by Sinna, April 14, 2010, 09:39:34 PM

What was the reason behind closing this clan?

I remember when the auto apartments went in and it seemed as if that had something to do with it - but being able to rent some nice "unique" apartments was pretty cool - and if they were renting warehouses and stuff - another plus.

I never did get why it was closed.

Anyone without IC-sensitive info?
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

I don't know, but if i were to hazard a guess, it would be nightmare amount of administration involved. Between not knowing if PC renters are still alive (just cause you never run into a PC ig doesn't mean they're not still around and active) to the nightmare of figuring it out if the Nenyuk were to die/retire. Plus always having to get locks changed when a renter vanishes... cause who knows if they were killed and someone didn't walk away with their keys?

I think it might be interesting to be able to "buy" a small home (the building, not the land, which of course belongs to the king). For an extravagant amount of money, with various other qualifiers like having to of been alive for a RL year. Maybe say that they'd have to be a sufficient status within a recognized House, etc etc. With stipulations that it could belong -only- to the PC who bought it, and couldn't be passed on to PC after PC.

Still probably more hassle and work then the staff would want to deal with, but still a fun idea.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

I'd kill for a chance to play a nenyuk, but, I think it would require tremendous amount of staff interaction for it to go right.

Nenyuk would be an awesome role, if people had to pay a Nenyuki in order to get a bank account.   ;)
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Having been the imm for Nenyuk for awhile before closing it, I can definitively answer this question.  

With only one or two exceptions, most of the people who played Nenyuk family members over the years really hated the role.  It had the fastest storage turnover rate of any sponsored role I've ever staffed.  It just wasn't a very enjoyable role - although superficially it was like playing a merchant for one of the other GMH's, people were a lot more demanding about being served *right now* and wanting to see every available apartment before making a decision.  So what with all the traipsing across the city, if a player of a Nenyuk PC only had 2 hours to play per day they could easily spend that attending to the demands of 1 or 2 other players. This led to some Nenyuk PCs never actually getting to explore their characters, but being more like a hooker in a really busy brothel, just servicing one person after another after another.

Automation of the apartments more or less made the role obsolete.  I tried bringing it back once, to have someone who just did political deals and planned new property developments but ironically the role just doesn't have enough to keep someone busy anymore.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I would like to say . . . that confuses me.  If staff appropriately backed the character with the Houses' resources, how in the heck could it *not* be entertaining?

Probably because it sounds exactly like being a Realty agent. And I don't know about y'all, but I don't play this game to do a job I can do in real life.

One of the biggest complaints of merchants in general is that people treat them vending machines.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You'd be Nenyuk.  People can go F themselves and wait for YOU to find them. :)

Rarely works that way, sadly. You make the wrong person wait because you're too OOCly or ICly busy and suddenly you find yourself facing some serious IC consequences. People just don't have patience when it comes get merchants.

A wild MarshalDFX appears!
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Yeah, the Nenyuk system was a mess. I remember the staff announcement saying that it just wasn't a rewarding role, so it was being closed.

I would still like for there to be a way to rent "unique" apartments. You see so many of them around the city abandoned (if you're teh Burg) and think, "It's a shame that no PC can ever live here.

Personally, I would like to be able to set things up via email in "special" circumstances with the staff to do this. What I'm thinking of as special is, when the Hunters Guild existed, they were all crammed into one or two regular apartments they used as a 'barracks.' Many PCs who roll together closely do this. I've seen it with gemmers, and even at one point, members of a clan all had a big frat-house together - in an APARTMENT.

NOTICE: Your apartment is not a warehouse
I'd like to think having the ability to rent anything from a large apartment, to a small compound to suit your PC's IG needs would have eliminated the need for this.

And before this gets taken wrong, when I say "special circumstances" I mean PCs that have a few things;
a) Playtime / plot involvement
b) Financial stability
c) Status
d) Ability to display actual need

So we don't get a lone 3 day tailor holed up behind the walls of a gated compound...
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 15, 2010, 02:09:04 PM
Yeah, the Nenyuk system was a mess. I remember the staff announcement saying that it just wasn't a rewarding role, so it was being closed.

I would still like for there to be a way to rent "unique" apartments. You see so many of them around the city abandoned (if you're teh Burg) and think, "It's a shame that no PC can ever live here.

Personally, I would like to be able to set things up via email in "special" circumstances with the staff to do this. What I'm thinking of as special is, when the Hunters Guild existed, they were all crammed into one or two regular apartments they used as a 'barracks.' Many PCs who roll together closely do this. I've seen it with gemmers, and even at one point, members of a clan all had a big frat-house together - in an APARTMENT.

NOTICE: Your apartment is not a warehouse
I'd like to think having the ability to rent anything from a large apartment, to a small compound to suit your PC's IG needs would have eliminated the need for this.

And before this gets taken wrong, when I say "special circumstances" I mean PCs that have a few things;
a) Playtime / plot involvement
b) Financial stability
c) Status
d) Ability to display actual need

So we don't get a lone 3 day tailor holed up behind the walls of a gated compound...

I support this all.
As a player that loves to play sneaky roles.
Would be awesome to see these unique apartments have more love and PCs in them!

Are a ton of abandoned areas and places. See no light or shine. :'(
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

We often discuss these issues. I don't see any warehouses in anyones near future but other options may be opened up at some point.  Staff announcements will be made should changes occur.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

If having rented warehouses and player-made clans is going to be a focus of some kind in Armageddon 2, why not try it out a little bit in Armageddon 1 to get the bugs out and see how it goes?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 17, 2010, 03:49:26 AM
If having rented warehouses and player-made clans is going to be a focus of some kind in Armageddon 2, why not try it out a little bit in Armageddon 1 to get the bugs out and see how it goes?

Amen.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: LauraMars on April 17, 2010, 03:49:26 AM

I've been pretty "meh" about the whole warehouse thing, but that's actually a good point.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

::EDIT:: Ignore me.

April 17, 2010, 12:21:56 PM #18 Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:23:47 PM by Twilight
I would assume that you could contact the imms to "rent" one of the "old" apartments?  Or even more awesomely, include it as part of a special app?

Edited to add:  With the way that keys changed, you might even be able to create a shopkeeper that could rent out the "old" apartments.  Pretty sure you could tweak the entrance/exit via the one way to support this in a way that worked?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I seem to recall that, years ago, templars were in charge of housing.

I think that made much more sense than Nenyuk.  Sure, the templars that were assigned to housing duty suddenly became monstrously powerful, but... eh, I think the pros out-weigh the cons.

Quote from: Old Kank on April 17, 2010, 01:06:52 PM
I seem to recall that, years ago, templars were in charge of housing.

I think that made much more sense than Nenyuk.  Sure, the templars that were assigned to housing duty suddenly became monstrously powerful, but... eh, I think the pros out-weigh the cons.

Everyone knows that burglars are the ones who are really in charge of housing.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I already asked if I could special app a Nenyuk and Olgaris said no.  I wanted to be an economist who tottered around giving bad advice and fighting for restrictive tariffs.

Olgaris is such a jerk, you'd be awesome at that. :P
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.