Playing Multiple Characters

Started by RogueGunslinger, April 10, 2010, 02:09:42 PM

Two pcs per account I don't think will work. Too much OOC knowledge of different characters will bleed through even if unintended.

Alternate "gladiator" pcs I would love. You log in, restricted to the slave pens and the arena and once a RL week games are held that you can participate if you are able to log into your gladiator and play during those times.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

They used to do this - I wonder what happened?
PS: I remember back in the day I totally abused my gladiator PC - but I was young and childish back then!
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

April 11, 2010, 01:13:35 AM #27 Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:17:23 AM by Salt Merchant
No thanks.

I was around back when this was permitted and it was no good, except that you could have a character in reserve to play with during a time when character applications could takes weeks.

Even for those who tried to play responsibly:

It made you be less attached to (and therefore involved with) a given character.
It gave too much knowledge of what was going on in the world, ripping away some of the important veil of mystery.
It made individual characters appear less consistently (one day you play one, the next day another).
Lunch makes me happy.

April 11, 2010, 02:45:28 AM #28 Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:59:57 AM by musashi
I vote no. For reasons already expressed by other folk.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

First off, I'm sorry that a combined 545 words in 2 long posts came across as a 'blanket statement.' I hear hooked on phonics is good for that sort of thing.

Starting a thread campaigning for something you knew wasn't going to happen - ever - and then turning on yourself with a very concise argument.... I really don't fucking get you man, but to each their own.

Anyways,

I would like to hear some kind of explanation as to why the gladiator thing had been taken out. I don't envision even the gladiator account getting added except on special occasions (like last year when they called for 5 or 6 glads), but I'm kinda curious.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I'm against it, totally.
I think the more interesting thing is that so many people talk about being bored with their characters. Chances are, someone is bored with your character just as much as you are, so why not work something out with the admin for a spectacular death or something? Why make a noble/agent/templar/whatever and then not bother being around to interact with people? You don't need to make a new character if you get bored or want to do something else, you don't need to suicide, you can just try to involve some other people in your death and end it all, and then move on. Seriously people. It's no fun trying to work with someone who is so bored of their character they can't bother showing up thereby limiting other peoples' play.  >:(
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

I'd love to see plots shaped by people who are easily bored and seek a fantastic death within the higher echelons, where they're supposed to be movers-and-shakers.

Better that the bored individual just takes a break and comes back refreshed then having some newcomer show up to the clan every month or two.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

April 11, 2010, 12:22:40 PM #32 Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:28:04 PM by RogueGunslinger
sent in pm

Let's give Karma players unlimited coins, defilers and 100 day old warrior skills, ALL in one character.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

With my current character, I just learned that my last character's mudsex partner was a [defiler/demon/templar/spy].  Now imagine if I were playing both of these characters simultaneously.  Let's not go here.
Back from a long retirement

I already want to choke players who take minutes to respond from playing multiple games at once, multiple characters in the same?  No.

More than one character? No thanks. I barely have time for the character I have now, and it's just the one. I couldn't imagine immersing myself well with two characters. Too much worry about whether I'm giving the first enough time as I play the second, what about the people depending on me to rp with, etc, ect.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Kryos on April 20, 2010, 09:17:50 PM
I already want to choke players who take minutes to respond from playing multiple games at once, multiple characters in the same?  No.

How do you know?

What makes you think they could ever play them both at the same time?

Multiplaying would benefit the game in some cases.  We have lots of outstanding players, and surely all of us get burned out with a long-running character from time to time.

But the potential for abuse (even unintentional) is so extreme that it probably ain't worth it.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Plan for gladiator PC's:

Allow people to apply for them who have mostly sedentary PC's, in the opposite city state. So northern players could apply for southern gladiators and vice versa. I imagine you might be able to work in travelers or tribals as well.

To stop the problem of playing only the gladiator PC, only allow them to be played during set up RPT's or specific trainings, etc. You could give slight skill boosts each fight the gladiator wins or participates in, thus eliminating the need for people to constantly train their gladiator.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I often experience the long-lived char burnout. I never wanted to play two characters at once, but i'd love to have a way to send my current character on a long ass sabbatical. Pick him back up when my next character dies.

I mean, I do this anyway, but instead of playing arma as another char, I just don't play at all for 6 months. And I constantly wrestle with retiring my character to pursue my latest greatest idea.

I feel like I'm stalking you on the forums, Agent.

You can always bring up the possibility, with your staff, of storing your current character with the option of coming back at a later date. We don't do this often, but the possibility exists - especially if you have a compelling reason for it.

Quote from: Rhyden on April 10, 2010, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: Malken on April 10, 2010, 02:32:06 PM
No.

As much as I want to play a 2nd character sometimes, there's just too much room for abuse.

+1

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 22, 2010, 04:07:34 PM
I often experience the long-lived char burnout. I never wanted to play two characters at once, but i'd love to have a way to send my current character on a long ass sabbatical. Pick him back up when my next character dies.

I mean, I do this anyway, but instead of playing arma as another char, I just don't play at all for 6 months. And I constantly wrestle with retiring my character to pursue my latest greatest idea.

+1
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jhunter on April 11, 2010, 12:19:01 AM
Alternate "gladiator" pcs I would love. You log in, restricted to the slave pens and the arena and once a RL week games are held that you can participate if you are able to log into your gladiator and play during those times.

I wouldn't mind this, or anything encouraging use of the arena. A script to set npc gladiators spawning at random times to battle each other would be wicked, but if there were pc gladiators, they would have to be stuck in the arena.

A gladiator role or a throwaway NPC roll you can jump into every now and then would be fun.

Sure make it karma restricted to avoid abuse.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

My throw away pc is 30 days old. *shrug*

Gladiators hmm maybe.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I once had a..

No I didn't. Anyways, if you allow people to play multiple characters, players can and -will- abuse it. It's a fact of MUDding that when a player has a chance to spawn with fresh cash - let's say he spawns with a merchant and drops that starting coin on his warrior, eh? That guy's going to be loaded. Let's say that warrior is also an amazing grebber of whatever. He just got a major boost to his income, which completely screws everything up for everybody else out there.

It's not fair. If I'm player A, and Other Player A wants to kill me, but his Player B is friends with my char, what are the chances that he's going to use Player B to kill me? Probably pretty good. And I'm going to be left sitting here going 'Wow... so he was never my friend after all!' not realizing that that was his Player B that just ganked me.

See where I'm going? It's a system that allows for abuse on many levels, not just sharing plotlines and learning plotlines. People are going to DIE if this gets implemented.

saellyn, and everyone else who said basically the same thing:
the thread has moved on. No one is suggesting unrestricted and unmitigated multi-play. It will not ever happen due to the reasons you describe.

What has happened before are gladiators. What i think would be helpful would be non-permanent retirements. Both would increase administrative workload, but be useful to the playerbase. What do you think of those options?