Message Boards?

Started by BlackMagic0, April 08, 2010, 02:02:40 PM

Should the message boards be changed so it shows new to oldest, not oldest to new post?

I like it this way...
8 (44.4%)
I like the change idea...
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

So. I always thought it was funny.

Why do message boards go form the oldest posts to the newest.

So would be:
2010. boobs

And gotta go through ALL those old posts to get to the new shit.
I think it should be changed so it would be newest to oldest, opposite.

2010. boobs

What you all think?
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

April 08, 2010, 02:35:52 PM #1 Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:40:22 PM by brytta.leofa
Edit: I totally misunderstood.

I think it would be an excellent idea for in-game message boards to sort newest-to-oldest...possible with one or two staff-designated stickies at the top.

B. The Elementalists' Quarter (sticky)
1. Someone set us up the bard
2. A Falish Festival
3. tall muscular man looking for work
4. Darn gickers
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I like it as it is now, simply because it's so rare to get a board empty enough that you don't have a screen break. And when you have two screens of messages, it's helpful to have the newer ones on the bottom half of the screen, because then they're the ones you're looking at, once you've hit enter to continue.

*shrug*
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Limit boards to 20 posts (so you never have to scroll off-screen). When a new post is added, the oldest one disappears. Only allow one board posting per board per account per day.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 08, 2010, 02:54:26 PM
Limit boards to 20 posts (so you never have to scroll off-screen). When a new post is added, the oldest one disappears. Only allow one board posting per board per account per day.

With some added function for sticky posts containing the city rules, etc.?  The only advantage to the current system is that hopefully newbies will start reading at post #1 to learn what they'll get arrested for doing.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I would so love the idea that oldest posts fall off when the limit was hit. I've seen boards with posts from 2k5 that don't have any rules or anything and are just mentioning some event or something.

I don't like either idea, here's why:

As someone posted already, the screen scrolls UP. The most recent thing, should be the most recent. The less I have to scroll back, the more likely I am to not miss something that's going on now. So if the last lines I see on the "look board" list are the most recent posts, then I will probably not need to scroll back to see their subject headings, and thus, not have to miss what's going on "now" just to see if they're posts I actually want to read.

As for older posts being dropped, a lot of posts I've seen dating back awhile, have been important, and worth keeping. But not rules. Events, such as: THERE IS A HUGE HOLE JUST OUTSIDE ALLANAK AND IT IS FILLED WITH MOLTEN LAVA. No, not rules of the city. Not even information about the city. But it is world-altering, and worth keeping. If older posts are automatically dropped when new posts are posted, there will be no way to prevent "important" things from being arbitrarily deleted. You can sticky posts 3 and 4, but what about post 27? What if post 27 is one of those types of posts, and an IMM just hasn't gotten around to stickying it yet, and it ends up being "next on the list to be auto-removed" during a busy week of posts?

Rather than simply say I don't like either and here's why, I'm also offering a suggestion:

What I would -much- prefer, is for the staff to respond more promptly to requests to have "unimportant" posts deleted. It would make their part of this easier, if maybe a couple more of them were authorized to delete "junk posts" (such as blank-text typos). Or maybe if any staffer would be authorized to delete any post that hadn't been saved, and it would automatically archive the post into a datafile so if it -should've- been saved, but was deleted in error and wasn't saved, it can be returned. And then maybe the data file would purge itself on a rolling 30-day basis.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

As a player, oocly, I like to see a post perhaps a year old and wonder about that character and that situation.  I guess I just mourn the days when IG clan boards were hot.  I miss that.
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

I think this would blow by mind quite frankly.

Seems like a good idea, but in effect isn't it kind of like reading right to left? That's how I'm conceptualising it at least.
Stop reading people's signatures and get a job, you loafer.