New Skills code

Started by Chettaman, April 01, 2010, 11:36:21 AM

Nice.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I should say I'm not that impressed this time. It seems to have a chance of failure in determining your skill, like, is my contact 'orgasmic' or 'awful'? I believe you get better in time to determine your skill level, but I have to spam 'skills' for that? Really..

- It must be made clear how you improve your skill in determining your skill levels.
- The skill for that shouldn't improve in the traditional way - failure. It would just lead to people typing up timers to type 'skills' once in X minutes. I already have set one up for myself because I hate to see how awful my character is, possibly because of low wisdom. Maybe age, or playing time should be the determining factor?
- Some of the terms used to describe skill levels should change indeed. Like, is "wtf" good or bad?

But with some changes, it's a good addition. Not necessarily needed, but a good addition nonetheless.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

April 01, 2010, 12:11:15 PM #2 Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:14:24 PM by RogueGunslinger
I'm a bit confused, actually. To use your example, would we see something like... Goes to check in game.

Nevermind... lol

Edited to add: Erdlu what are you talking about?

Edited again: Rofl now I get what you're talking about. <facepalm>

April 01, 2010, 12:31:11 PM #3 Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:34:05 PM by jmordetsky
Oh. Wait.

No.....Is this an april fools joke?

Sadness.

I was really excited.

Edit: Though, BeeKnees and Sux0rs are great :).
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

peachy keen  ;D
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

When I first read this, I thought, "Oh boy! It's like Christmas!"

But then I logged on and saw Pikachu....

Now I'm off to talk people to death and climax with my "Obliterating Sirihish" and my "Orgasmic <redacted> accent" ;D

The descriptors seem to be completely random, because I've got "you suck" for skills I know I've maxed, and "awesome" for skills I've never even used.  Also, they change every time you type > skills.

(Yes, I know it's a joke.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Damn.  I was hoping I had super-demonic skill levels.

Wtf are you guys talking about? I checked it out, all I got are numbers in parenthesis and they seem to be the same each time. My sirihish is 100.

edit: I am disappoint. April fools.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Last years joke was awesome.. Didn't like this one..
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

I'm somewhat surprised no one has ever asked for skill levels to be revealed. Has anyone ever asked for this before?  If not I think we get to pat ourselves on the back.

Quote from: jalden on April 02, 2010, 01:56:56 AMI'm somewhat surprised no one has ever asked for skill levels to be revealed. Has anyone ever asked for this before?  If not I think we get to pat ourselves on the back.
There are people that remember back to when skill levels WERE shown.  It has been asked to be brought back, in a system not unlike this joke... but with less ridiculous and random wackidoo than this joke used.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on April 02, 2010, 02:08:17 AM
Quote from: jalden on April 02, 2010, 01:56:56 AMI'm somewhat surprised no one has ever asked for skill levels to be revealed. Has anyone ever asked for this before?  If not I think we get to pat ourselves on the back.
There are people that remember back to when skill levels WERE shown.  It has been asked to be brought back, in a system not unlike this joke... but with less ridiculous and random wackidoo than this joke used.

Honestly. I'd like a system like this (less wack) as anyone that been doing it for a while, would be able to gauge their skills roughly.
And the ranges could be wide. Though eh.

Still trying to get used to Arm again as is, at least this character isn't 5 minutes in and dead! Haha..
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

April 02, 2010, 07:42:24 AM #14 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:20:42 AM by Oleupata
I liked the joke, but a part of me wants to see it go in for real.

The skill levels shouldn't be too accurate. A scale of poor to AI is more accurate than, say, the (shamelessly stolen from RPI Engine MUDs) scale of Novice - Familiar - Adroit - Master.

I don't think it would foster overtraining if that is the concern. With an inaccurate scale, you will remain a Novice or Familiar for a long time. Additional training in the short term would only change things very slowly and behind the scenes. If you wanted to train just to get from one level to the next out of four levels, you would have to train a lot - and besides that, it's well known that - actually, no it isn't, nevermind.

Consider it in present terms - we really have three levels we can see as it is: New PC Skill, Branched, Mastered (for merchants with crafts). It is just unlabeled. What is the problem, really, with putting out skill levels in the vaguest way possible?

I'll admit, I got excited until I logged in and saw the joke, but it would be a slippery slope to bring skill levels back in any form.

So, it appears to not be a joke after all. I dig it.  ;D

I think it'll be helpful to role-play. I've discovered that I'm presenting some skills as being greater than I have, and others as being less. Good for adjusting that.

April 02, 2010, 12:17:12 PM #17 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:21:25 PM by spawnloser
Yup, apparently not completely a joke.  Novice - Apprentice - Journeyman - Advanced - Master?  Not bad.  I don't feel strongly about this change for or against, so nothing much else to add.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

IT'S REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Meh, it is not new anyway.

I preferred when it was turned off but not a big deal, tells me nothing I did not already know anyway.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: spawnloser on April 02, 2010, 12:17:12 PM
Novice - Apprentice - Journeyman - Advanced - Master?  Not bad.

I'm PKin' the first fool that uses these words in-game, though.  As in:
The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish,
  "I'm advanced at peircing weapons but only journeyman at disarm."

But it's a toothsome change, otherwise.

Quote from: spawnloser on April 02, 2010, 12:17:12 PM
Yup, apparently not completely a joke.  Novice - Apprentice - Journeyman - Advanced - Master?  Not bad.  I don't feel strongly about this change for or against, so nothing much else to add.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel about it. No big deal either way. It's interesting but pretty much confirms what I would have guessed about my approximate skill levels in comparision to each other. I don't really see any negatives coming about from this but about the only use I can see is for merchants and the rp of their crafts.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't like it. It's not the end of the world though. It puts a focus on skill levels that wasn't there before (at least for me). I would like to trade this for a list of the skills associated with each class/subclass.  While present to some extent, you can still end up with skills that don't mesh with the background you wrote. We'll see if I have the willpower to keep brief skills on.

I'm guessing it's pretty vague.

lol @ a dry quiet war
Malifaxis has UBER board skills