Skill Level Apptitude in "skills" Command

Started by Tiernan, April 01, 2010, 10:50:07 AM

April 01, 2010, 10:50:07 AM Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:59:12 AM by Tiernan
I've updated the codebase to show some level of aptitude in the "skills" command, much like the engine currently does for character attributes.   While not the same set of nine levels (poor through absolutely incredible), I believe that this will help players better flesh out their characters.   My hope is that this will be used to enhance the roleplaying experience by allowing players to adapt their character's behavior with their skill aptitude without revealing hard numbers, fostering unwanted skill-maxxing or playing to the mechanics instead of the storyline.

You may also use the "brief skills" option, recently included in the engine, to turn these aptitude levels off if you want to view your skills in the old-school fashion.

Both helpfiles for "skills" and "brief" have been updated to reflect these changes.

It came to our attention that some skills could never get to 'master' level because no guild got that high of a proficiency.  We have changed words you see for skills to now reflect what the 'maximum cap' is for all guilds. 

So, we look at all guilds that get the skill and choose the highest end value.  We then use that to determine our 'master' range.  This should reflect in your skills as an increase on certain skills compared to when this code change went out.  This code originally went live when we crashed last night, but we have discovered that there are some skills that aren't on any guild and so there was a problem with that. 

This latest reboot this afternoon should have all these issues fixed.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff