Prompt Command - Idea for expansion

Started by Desert Wanderer, July 05, 2003, 11:07:02 AM

Prompt Help File:
QuotePROMPT  (Control)  

This command, when supplied with variable parameters, will display information about your character every time any command (including a 'null' command when you press RETURN) is issued.

The available parameters for prompt are:

%h  current health                        %H  maximum health  
%m  current mana                        %M  maximum mana  
%v  current stamina                      %V  maximum stamina  
%t  current stun                            %T  maximum stun  
%l  long description status             %L  your long description  
%n  your name                             %i  your invisibility status  
%s  your current position               %f  your flying status  
%o  the language you're speaking  %k  what you're riding  
%w  how fast you're walking  

These parameters can be mixed with any normal text that you wish. For instance, the command "prompt %hhp> " would produce a prompt such as "14hp> ". You can also use "\n" to skip to a new line.

Syntax:

prompt <message and parameters>

Example:

> prompt %h/%H;%v/%V>
101/112;149/151>

Note:

If you want a space between the last character of your prompt and the
first space in which you will be typing a command, you need to insert
the space in your prompt command. In other words, "prompt > " and
"prompt >" will not give exactly the same prompt.

Just thought I'd bounce the idea around on the GDB of adding the status of LISTEN and SCAN to the prompt.  I would assume that my character would be aware when they were actively engaging in either activity.

Thoughts?

-DW

It seems like a good idea but I dont like my screen cluttered so personally prefer the allready present

' listen status ' command, which tells you right away.

I dont use scan much so I dont know if there is a command like that for it. Anyways, I think inserting a scan status command would be easier but then again Ive been drinking all night....  :?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I think all the things that -can- be toggled on and off should have inclusion in the prompt as an option. Things like barrier, sneak, scan, listen, etc. No one ever -has- to use the option of seeing them in the prompt, but it would be a great idea for the option to exist.

Just for the record, my prompt looks like this:

10/10hp 10/10stu 10/10mv walking

The first three are explanatory, the last is to make sure I'm not accidentally still running after fleeing from sparring or sneaking from two hours ago, whatever. So to take care of that 'toggle sneak', just put in a thing like mine for walking spead.

As for barrier, you can just check your stat. Even easier is that your STU will be about 5 points less than its max. As for listen and scan, well, I'm not sure if either of them turned up in stat, but they should if they don't.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I could be wrong but I think scan checks against the skill level of other people's hide and sneak and whatever.

So while your 'scan' might be active, it might even catch hiding people.

And on another note, putting these in a prompt would just encourage people to spam them. Like "oh, my scan's off." stand;scan. Etc.

QuoteI would assume that my character would be aware when they were actively engaging in either activity.

Actually when your listening sometimes you arn't aware. You could just be sitting down and get into a conversation with someone else and not realize that you arnt eavesdropping on an entire tavern.

Anyways I think they shouldnt be in prompt, as they are strange skills.

I'm going to have to agree with Jenred.  So, you're listening to those people 20' away...then you stop hearing them.  Either they stopped talking or your skill shut down.  You don't know until you check.  You don't automatically know.  The same goes for scan.  Anything perception related, you don't know if there isn't something there or you just can't see it.  Figure it out without automatically knowing when it shuts down.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.