Subguild with backstab?

Started by jmordetsky, March 24, 2010, 03:33:54 PM

Should there be a subguild that gets backstab?

Yar!
18 (46.2%)
Nay!
21 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

With appropriate caps of course.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Absolutely not.  There are enough guilds that get it and it is too powerful to put into a subguild, imho.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Give backstab to subguild_rebel.  Very low cap.
Give throw to subguild_mercenary.  Moderate cap.
Give city hide and scan (but not sneak) to subguild_guard.  Moderate cap.

As long as backstab is kept a low cap, meh, shrug. Whatever. Sap is available, why not backstab. One thing I dislike about giving it to rebel, is that they're already a pretty impressive skill selection subguild. I dislike the hide to the guild subguild, that makes NO sense, what so ever. The Bard maybe.

Infact, personally. I think bard should have a whole SLEW of VERY low capped skills. So like, you can be Any guild, but pick 'bard', and pretend to be whatever guild you wanna be. Will you 'ever' succeed? Unlikely, but 'could' you do it? Suureh!

Quote from: Dar on March 24, 2010, 03:56:46 PM
I dislike the hide to the guard subguild, that makes NO sense, what so ever.

The Secret Service agents you noticed are not the only Secret Service agents.  But it should be capped low enough to be defeated by mediocre scan.

At a low cap, would backstab be worth using other than for color and roleplay value?  My guess is it'd miss most of the time.

No, in my opinion backstab is too specialized of a skill to be added to any other skillsets.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

For the record - I think I voted yes on accident but I agree on 'no' so subtract 1 from the results :/
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

March 24, 2010, 05:14:10 PM #8 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:17:12 PM by hyzhenhok
I don't see why not. I'd add a new subguild rather than giving it to current subguilds, though.

Maybe something like "scrapper" that comes with backstab, sleight of hand and flee. Backstab would be capped to where it is reliable but doesn't do too much damage.

Subguild Scrapper                                                    (Character)

Scrappers are experienced in the scuffles of day-to-day life in a rough-and-
tumble society. You'll find them in tavern brawls, sneaking a cheap shot,
(maybe even with a broken bottle!) before high-tailing it when soldiers turn
up, or in a dirty alley scuffling with urchins over a small scrap of food, or
simply snatching up dropped valuables before anyone notices.

See Also:
  guilds, subguild

March 24, 2010, 05:18:10 PM #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:20:00 PM by Thunkkin
Quote from: hyzhenhok link=topic=38265.msg521473#msg521473Subguild Scrapper

Spiffy.  

I'll be surprised if they make new guilds and subguilds before Arm.2, but this is a great idea.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Wouldn't particularly mind, but a low-capped backstab skill would be so useless that using it would literally leave you worse off than not using it.

I could see it added to rebel at a very low cap.  That's about it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It seems reasonable to have this skill added to subclass_rebel and subclass_thug.  Especially if the caps are similar to the other combat skills in those subs.

Subguild capped backstab would not be unbalancingly powerful, but I worry about it getting out of hand on a delf/celf (who might easily get to the point where they can't miss, despite the lower cap) or on a mul/half-giant/Yellow Belly (who might easily get to the point where they OHK, despite the lower cap).

Then again, subguild thug already comes with a pretty powerful set of skill boosts and it has sap, which is comparable. I guess it depends on what skills it's packaged with; you certainly would NOT want stealth (can you imagine all the dual-stealthing backstab-happy rangers?!) nor anything too synergistic, like poison or piercing weapons. Sleight of hand and flee, kick, or subdue, maybe, would leave the subguild comparatively balanced with thug.

I think y'all should keep in mind, however, that non-maxed backstab still has some very effective uses that non-maxed sap does not, making a subguild-level backstab potentially more unbalancing than thug's subguild-level sap.

I say No because Backstab is one of those skills that doesn't truly shine until it's user is higher trained.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

March 24, 2010, 10:37:59 PM #15 Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:19:44 AM by Fnord
Yes, because Pandora's box has been opened with Ranger's unique skills.
Amor Fati

-If- backstab were included in any subguild skillsets, I think that the base percentage for those of assassin guild should be increased. I believe backstab to be a more specialized skill much like disarm is for warriors.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Fnord on March 24, 2010, 10:37:59 PM
Turn Arm into Morrorwind.

Yes! I've used this analogy before.

March 25, 2010, 05:36:20 PM #18 Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:38:54 PM by Jingo
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 25, 2010, 01:13:53 AM
Quote from: Fnord on March 24, 2010, 10:37:59 PM
Turn Arm into Morrorwind.

Yes! I've used this analogy before.

Tank mages. Oh God the tank mages.

Edit: for the on topics: Nah.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.