Subguild with Warrior Skills?

Started by jmordetsky, March 24, 2010, 03:32:04 PM

Should there be a "gladiator" subguild with disarm and bash?

Yar!
33 (58.9%)
Nay!
23 (41.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Quote from: Conspiracy Theory on March 25, 2010, 09:22:40 AM
I'm all for making the mundane classes less unique, personally. I don't really like the whole class based system thing as a whole in fact.

+1. I've seen someone post something about turning Arm into Morrowind. Say what you want, but the skills/class system on there is actually pretty great. You can do any mundane skill with a small chance of success, and any class skill with a large chance of it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

No need for this, in my opinion.  Sandstorm guidance becoming a skill fixed several glaring omissions in my mind, whereas this could fix only one omission, not so glaring.

Quote from: Conspiracy Theory on March 25, 2010, 09:22:40 AM
I'm all for making the mundane classes less unique, personally. I don't really like the whole class based system thing as a whole in fact.

I think Nessalin once pointed out that with a classless system, everyone would have hide, parry, fireball and backstab.

Classless systems work great for single players games. I suggest not so much in a multi-player game. Enforced specialization is a good thing; it draws players together (rather than everyone being a lone god).
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on March 25, 2010, 05:16:43 PM
I think Nessalin once pointed out that with a classless system, everyone would have hide, parry, fireball and backstab.

Classless systems work great for single players games. I suggest not so much in a multi-player game. Enforced specialization is a good thing; it draws players together (rather than everyone being a lone god).

Agreed.

Heh, off topic, if I got to choose any 4 skils/spells in game, none would be the 4 listed and would very likely surprise you.

On topic, Enforced classes are already fading or at least getting blurred. No reason to not complete the blurring....If only to enhance playability. (mild sarcasm)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

March 25, 2010, 06:26:25 PM #30 Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:39:04 PM by Shalooonsh
Quote from: Synthesis on March 24, 2010, 09:45:05 PM
I would create a "veteran" or "swashbuckler" subguild with low (pickpocket-style) capped parry, slashing weapons, and piercing weapons.

even [REDACTED BY SHALOOONSH.  Really, dude?  Really?  Talking about skill branches now?] would be insanely overpowered if one of the melĂ©e-oriented elementalist classes could take it. nooooo way, dude.

March 25, 2010, 08:01:47 PM #31 Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:01:02 PM by Qzzrbl
Honestly, a melee oriented elementalist guild choosing this for the low-capped weapon skills would more often than not turn out to be a mistake.

With some of the shit magickers can do, I don't think they need or even want weapon skills.....

It's like saying that a nuclear bomb is fine-- but when you attach that machine gun to it, it's overpowered.

That's been my experience, anyway.

___________________________________________ <--- That's my "getting back on track line". :3

I personally wouldn't seen any problem with adding a few more subguilds to flesh out our characters skills a little more.

As it stands, there are a load of merchant subguilds, two or three hunting subguilds, nifty accent and language subguilds, a subguild that gives you like.... a 20% chance to pull off a rescue or subdue, and a few stealth-based subguilds.....

There's a pretty big lack of combat in there, right? Or is it just me?

I'm not quite understanding the reasoning behind arguements that make it look like a few combat subguilds would somehow nerf the warrior class or make magickers more destructive than they already are.....

I think it'd be pretty nice to have a merchant that could actually have a chance fend off that would-be mugger, or a magicker who's whole life didn't apparently revolved around OMGMAGICKANDCRAFTING, or a warrior that doesn't totally suck mek balls upon creation-- without having to waste one of our extremely limited numbers of special apps.

I voted "yes" because I think it would be neat, even though I don't give a rat's ass either way.

If it went in, personally I would prefer to see it split up. Thugs get bash and mercenaries or acrobats get disarm. Something like that. I think guards have enough, personally.

Also, yes, weapon skills would be nice. (Thugs get sap, but no but no bludgeon? Rebels and nomads can craft spears, but not use them?)

HOWEVER, I think this is going to be a SOL type deal, since a lot of revamping ideas have been shot down in the past couple years for the simple reason of the ever present threat of Arm2.0 hanging over our heads.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I am all for the lets all walk in the storm. I mean we'll get to find more bodies and sell the boots like back in the old days. Now days the towns and taverns are full because of weather, so with this we have more folks going on a venture. But as for other skills in the subs, I am not to sure if that will turn out ok but who knows?
craft pain pills  Dr pepper
You make a idled character

Maybe one subguild choice could just be "extra experience".

This would take the form of modest boosts to a guild's core skills.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 25, 2010, 08:01:47 PM
Honestly, a melee oriented elementalist guild choosing this for the low-capped weapon skills would more often than not turn out to be a mistake.

I'm suggesting that with such a subguild they'd be choosing it for parry. Magickers with parry would be bonkers, I think they're a bad idea eh.

Quote from: jstorrie on March 26, 2010, 05:43:23 AM

I'm suggesting that with such a subguild they'd be choosing it for parry. Magickers with parry would be bonkers, I think they're a bad idea eh.

Parry would be an insignificant contribution to the ability of a magicker to wreak havoc.  It would be great for burglars and merchants who also want to do a little bit of fighting.  Not so much for any other class, because they already branch it (unless they just wanted to skip the grinding time).

Weapon skills in a subclass would obviously benefit only merchants and magickers, unless you gave all four basic weapons, which would allow pickpockets/burglars/assassins to use some different weapon types, albeit at probably reduced maximums.  Again, this boost to melee offense would be insignificant in the case of a magicker.

I suppose I should qualify that:  the subclass definitely would benefit -newbie- magickers in combat, but that's just about it.  Any magicker beyond 10 days' played doesn't need parry any more than a warrior needs toolmaking.  I suppose I should qualify that, too:  any of -my- magickers beyond 10 days' played.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

With some of the shit magickers can do, I don't think they need or even want weapon skills.....
It's like saying that a nuclear bomb is fine-- but when you attach that machine gun to it, it's overpowered.

Sig'd
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 26, 2010, 10:25:36 AM
Parry would be an insignificant contribution to the ability of a magicker to wreak havoc.  It would be great for burglars and merchants who also want to do a little bit of fighting.  Not so much for any other class, because they already branch it (unless they just wanted to skip the grinding time).

I can't really get into specifics here for obvious reasons, so you're just going to have to take my word for it, Synthesis. There are some magickers who are pretty terrifying when they go tooth-and-nail on you, and having parry would turn them into basically unstoppable distributors of mass destruction.

It's kind of like yeah, they already had nukes, but now they're also ninjas. People with nukes are trouble enough, I don't think we want a bunch of ninjas with nuclear shuriken.

Quote from: jstorrie on March 26, 2010, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 26, 2010, 10:25:36 AM

I can't really get into specifics here for obvious reasons, so you're just going to have to take my word for it, Synthesis. There are some magickers who are pretty terrifying when they go tooth-and-nail on you, and having parry would turn them into basically unstoppable distributors of mass destruction.

It's kind of like yeah, they already had nukes, but now they're also ninjas. People with nukes are trouble enough, I don't think we want a bunch of ninjas with nuclear shuriken.

Yeah, because subclass parry would totally turn you into a ninja.  ::)

I really wouldn't assume that you know anything more than I do about whatever it is you're mysteriously referring to, either.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

One would imagine that parry in a subguild would have a pretty low cap..... Or at least I would.

I don't think subguild parry would be able to hold a candle to warrior/ranger/assassin parry.

Just as subguild thief steal isn't anywhere near pickpocket steal, and that crafter subguilds aren't anywhere near merchant crafting.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 26, 2010, 06:53:42 PM
I really wouldn't assume that you know anything more than I do about whatever it is you're mysteriously referring to, either.

Well you're suggesting magickers ought to be able to get parry from a subguild! I don't think we can really hash it out on the GDB given that magick isn't to be discussed in that close of a detail, but my vote's definitely against it.

I think you're overestimating the power of subguild skills.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think having signature abilities like disarm, backstab, direction sense ... given with low caps to subguilds is a good idea just for the sake of making guild sniffing more difficult.

I've never seen a subguild skill rise to an overpowering level myself. Subguild skills seem to me to be nearly always laughably low compared to the primary guilds that get them.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.