City Elves in the South

Started by Spider, March 02, 2010, 03:30:07 PM

Are city elves being phased out in the South?

I find it strange that the number one difference between Elves and the other races has absolutely no coded backing in the largest city in the Known World. The entire racial identity is focused around the tribal mentality, and it is non-existent outside the virtual world. For a race, one that follows closely to humans as the largest populous, not to have any coded support clan wise is a horrible representation of the game world, in my opinion.

How many coded Nakki born human(or dwarf) clans are available for play? And elves have zero? Of course there are minor exceptions, but these do not necessarily follow the tribal mentality.

If the reason for this is to transition to Arm 2, since it has been said that elves will have no place in the new incarnation(thus shouldn't have an effect on it), then I would like to know, so I stop wasting my time on concepts that revolve around tribes, hoping to play an elf that has other PC's to play with as a tribe.

Will the no tribe rule be lifted any time before Arm 2? I can only hope. If I found Tuluk to be more fun to play I would go there(just personal taste, the documentation, culture, and history are fantastic in my opinion).

I as well find it odd, as I have an email from Bhagharva in 2006 or so that names and details 5 or so City Elf tribes in the Labyrinth.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

There are coded elf tribes in Allanak. They are simply not opened. The reason why there is a currently supported elf tribe in Tuluk and none in Nak could be many, but I suppose only Imms have a full picture. Right now, the entire gameworld is in a state of turmoil, Tuluk doesnt even have its own version of the 'Rinth, as far as I'm aware.

This does not preclude you from starting an elf in allanak and have him a virtual tribe. Nor does it preclude you from slowly, gradually, painfully create a tribe of your own. But you'd be starting from scratch, there "were" attempts before.

Quote from: Dar on March 02, 2010, 03:46:34 PM
This does not preclude you from starting an elf in allanak and have him a virtual tribe. Nor does it preclude you from slowly, gradually, painfully create a tribe of your own. But you'd be starting from scratch, there "were" attempts before.

I'm aware of this. I've actually been one that made an attempt, the concept of course failed. Elven loyalty tests are tough, and take a long time. How long? Two years? Five years? How long does it take to make a member of a race, that naturally is distrustful of all(especially other elves), and make them fully trust you, as well as the other way around?

This is a major problem with establishing a new elven tribe. Banking on other PC's to be there for many IG years despite the limitations placed on them is an exercise in futility. I find it hard to keep a PC around for that long.

Elven Loyalty tests are great, and should be followed closely.

The no new clan policy is also a major road block in this.

Quote from: Spider on March 02, 2010, 03:30:07 PM

Nope.

Will the no tribe rule be lifted any time before Arm 2?

There's not a "no tribe" rule.  There are just no coded city-elf tribes open to players in Allanak/'Rinth at this time.  It's not anything new, and it's not anything permanent.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 02, 2010, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: Spider on March 02, 2010, 03:30:07 PM

Nope.

Will the no tribe rule be lifted any time before Arm 2?

There's not a "no tribe" rule.  There are just no coded city-elf tribes open to players in Allanak/'Rinth at this time.  It's not anything new, and it's not anything permanent.

Ah, good to know. Thanks Nyr.

That doesn't mean anything's going to happen any time soon.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah, considering it's been two years and I've not seen southern coded elf tribe.

And the one that has been there in the past was by application, rather than an "open" tribe like the Desert Elves have.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

One?  Actually Reiloth is right.  A couple/few years ago there were at least 3 open at once.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Twilight on March 02, 2010, 06:27:56 PM
And the one that has been there in the past was by application, rather than an "open" tribe like the Desert Elves have.

The tribe you are referring to is the Haruch Kemad, which is closed for play. The tribes i'm referring to i'd rather not say without Staff Permission (c), but it's safe to say that even the little paragraphs Bhagharva wrote up about them brought so much damn flavor to city-elves in the Labyrinth.

EDIT::

Along these lines, i'm petitioning the staff to make these tribes available to put in your background, and supply the same 'one paragraph blurbs' to account for it. I think it would allow city elves a lot more depth compared to 'Oh, Tribe? Yeah. They been murdered.'
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Good points. Playing a tribeless elf is like an entirely different role altogether. Why can't there be unsupported city elf tribes, similar to how some of the open human tribes work (like the Benjari did)? Just requires a few docs for background and you're off.

Seems Armers always have to have -something- to complain about. ::)

That being said, it would be nice to see a coded city elf tribe in the south too.

Just write up your own damn tribe, for crying out loud. I've done so myself, in preparation for the Celf I'll someday play. No, it's not very streamlined, and no, it's not as easy to get other players into, but thems the breaks.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

How about you writing up your merchant house? Coming up with a V-tribe can be fun, but you're not allowed to use it for more than one PC, and that can be a problem for some. Also, by the time elven tests of loyalty end, arm 2 will come. Opening some of the less powerful, non coded tribes will do wonders for elven PCs in the rinth.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 03, 2010, 10:37:46 AM
How about you writing up your merchant house? Coming up with a V-tribe can be fun, but you're not allowed to use it for more than one PC

This contradiction is one of the chief reason c-elves are so unpopular (at least in my opinion).
Elves MUST have a tribe but you can't have other PCs from that same tribe.

Unless staff plans to open up a tribe in Nak or the Rinth, I believe allowing two to four players to bring out a virtual tribe should seriously be reconsidered.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 03, 2010, 10:46:27 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on March 03, 2010, 10:37:46 AM
How about you writing up your merchant house? Coming up with a V-tribe can be fun, but you're not allowed to use it for more than one PC

This contradiction is one of the chief reason c-elves are so unpopular (at least in my opinion).
Elves MUST have a tribe but you can't have other PCs from that same tribe.

Unless staff plans to open up a tribe in Nak or the Rinth, I believe allowing two to four players to bring out a virtual tribe should seriously be reconsidered.

You don't need tribes in the rinth. You already have gangs and such. As far as I know they are pretty active as is. It's just a tough place to start a character.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Nyr on January 05, 2010, 11:36:45 AM
Quote from: Nyr
I try to leave a clan better than it was when I found it.  Gives me something to do.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'm guessing the reason the current city-elf tribes in the 'rinth aren't open is the same reason we can't play PC gith, and the same reason they put the kibosh on the Red Fangs for a brief period and got rid of/closed down the Dune Stalkers for good.

If a city-elf tribe does open in the south, I can pretty much guarantee it won't be 'rinth-based, and it will be crafting and trading oriented (superficially, at least) like the Akai S'jirr in the north.  The problem with this is that there aren't any Happy Hunting Grounds resource-rich and resource-dense zones around Allanak...which is why PC merchants around 'nak who aren't life-sworn to a GMH or serving as an aide to a Noble House are extremely rare. 

If you created a crafting-oriented city-elf tribe in Allanak, nobody would play in it after the novelty factor wore off, because there ain't shit for materials around Allanak.  Three fairly large branches of the merchant skill tree are nigh-impossible to access around Allanak, because the raw materials you need to practice on are literally rarer than flashpowder and lockpicks.  Not to mention that the zones around 'nak present a tremendous drain on stamina, and the regen rates even in clear weather are abysmal, and 90% of the time they're even worse because there is some level of storm out.  In other words, if a city-elf sets foot outside the gate without some kind of magick to make up for the stamina factor, they are seriously boned.

Meanwhile, in Tuluk, you can walk 4 rooms out the gate and you have an infinite supply for two, and the third is always available thanks to indie hunters constantly bringing in raw materials, and you can regen your entire stamina pool from 0 to max in just about less time than it took to read this post, if you need to go out and forage for something on your own.

Why do you think it will be crafting/trading oriented tribe then?

March 03, 2010, 11:32:44 AM #20 Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:34:16 AM by Synthesis
Quote from: spicemustflow on March 03, 2010, 11:29:01 AM

Because there are only three* basic things that most players enjoy:  killing shit, stealing shit, and crafting shit.  If you create a city-elf tribe around the first two, it will either be hunted to extermination by overzealous Templars and militiamen, or it will devolve into merciless griefing, or some combination of the two.

Also, there already exist tribes that are focused on stealing shit and killing motherfuckers who get in the way of them stealing shit...and those tribes are closed.  So that pretty much only leaves the crafting option.*

*Well, there's also mudsex too, I guess.   ::)

In the case of codedly unsupported tribes, I think the players themselves would quickly learn to keep their activities under the authorities' radar. We have HK, for example, that managed to do it for centuries. It's leaders are competent NPCs, though.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2010, 11:32:44 AM

Because there are only three* basic things that most players enjoy:  killing shit, stealing shit, and crafting shit.  If you create a city-elf tribe around the first two, it will either be hunted to extermination by overzealous Templars and militiamen, or it will devolve into merciless griefing, or some combination of the two.

I really think you're wrong. I also think your other post about the Red Fangs is somewhat wrong. Red Fangs went from being boogiemen to being a very nicely RP'd clan right now that fit in well with the world.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 03, 2010, 11:37:20 AM
In the case of codedly unsupported tribes, I think the players themselves would quickly learn to keep their activities under the authorities' radar. We have HK, for example, that managed to do it for centuries. It's leaders are competent NPCs, though.

The problem is:  PCs don't go ballistic when NPCs steal shit from their persons/apartments, because NPCs never do it.  However, it doesn't take long for most folks to figure out who the PC burglar or pickpocket is, and as soon as that happens, anyone who has ever had anything to do with that burglar or pickpocket has now forfeited their life, as far as the apartment-based community in the city is concerned.

It's currently impossible to be a competent PC leader of something like a city-elf tribe in the 'rinth without having to spamkill endless droves of newbs who can't understand what's going on, and without eventually being entirely confined to the 'rinth because every PC on the southside wants your head on a pike.

I suppose it could work if you retconned a bit and wrote something like a connection between the tribe and some powerful (red-robe or above) templar...something like "Great Lord Jal and his minions maintain contacts within NewCityElfTribe in order to counterbalance the influence of the Guild and to gain reliable monthly reports on the state of the sewers beneath the city."  Then, if shit got out of hand, you could have a staff-run NPC come down and say, "look, little templar, if you keep messing with these guys and fucking up my family's business, I'll send -your- ass down into the sewers next time, and you won't be coming back."

Quote from: janeshephard on March 03, 2010, 11:43:35 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2010, 11:32:44 AM

I really think you're wrong. I also think your other post about the Red Fangs is somewhat wrong. Red Fangs went from being boogiemen to being a very nicely RP'd clan right now that fit in well with the world.

I'm pretty sure the reason they went to "nicely RP'ed" is because Shalooonsh descended from the heavens and said, "If you keep this shit up, I will force-store you all. Have a nice day."  I'm also pretty sure that the only reason he gave them the option of self-correcting their behavior is because the key players are long-time vets who could understand when enough was enough.