Shop Code

Started by Synthesis, February 21, 2010, 01:24:07 PM

The new shop code that only lists one of each item type, even if the merchant has five of them in stock is great, in that it reduces spam, but it's kind of annoying for a couple of reasons.

1.  If I'm a grebber, I don't know whether I should spend time foraging for X, Y, or Z, because I have no idea how much demand there is for any of them (unless there isn't a single one in stock).

2. If I want to buy a matched pair of something like bracers, swords, or knives, I don't know if once I blow 200 'sid on one, whether there will be another like it in stock.

Proposal:

> list <merchant> <item> stock
<merchant> says to you, in <accent><language>:
     "I have <n> of those in stock."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I really like this. Please "idea" it in game for staff!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 21, 2010, 01:24:07 PM
The new shop code that only lists one of each item type, even if the merchant has five of them in stock is great, in that it reduces spam, but it's kind of annoying for a couple of reasons.

1.  If I'm a grebber, I don't know whether I should spend time foraging for X, Y, or Z, because I have no idea how much demand there is for any of them (unless there isn't a single one in stock).

2. If I want to buy a matched pair of something like bracers, swords, or knives, I don't know if once I blow 200 'sid on one, whether there will be another like it in stock.

Proposal:

What about just adding it to view?

view #23

It is a sword
It appears remarkable for solving your problems.
There are 3 of them in stock.

No need to add in an extra command.

Even better!

I have a suggestion that is, in my opinion, the easiest for the player. Typing a command for every item in stock seems a reliable solution, until you need to track, say, five items a lot. Now, seeing that I am a new player in Armageddon, I have no idea whether it ever happens, but in either case, I think having an extra colomn when LISTing that shows the number of items in stock would be the easiest. To give more of an explanation, what I mean is to have an extra column when typing  list which would give you a stock for the item in question.

Quote from: jcarter on February 21, 2010, 01:44:05 PM

Proposal:

view #23

It is a sword

I think this is an excellent idea.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jcarter on February 21, 2010, 01:44:05 PM

Proposal:

view #23

It is a sword

I vote 'yes'.
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

Why not just have the item display how many are in stock beside the name, if there are more than one?

1) A pair of chalton hide boots [938493]

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 21, 2010, 07:08:34 PM
Why not just have the item display how many are in stock beside the name, if there are more than one?

Because that would be ugly...same reason we don't see

In room:

Many pairs of chalton hide boots (x12).

Why not just make it viewable with "list?"

>List

1. A couple blue sandcloth shirts
2. Many black furred, quirri thongs.
3. A few cases of "muscular man" powder.
4. Several bone swords.
5. Innumerable newbie boots.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The descriptor thing looks nice, but "few" goes from 3-5, so it wouldn't really help all that much.

Or even (to amend your idea, which is good, but would deal with exact numbers in mine, except where the stock is essentially limitless, where it would instead simply say 'many'.)

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 21, 2010, 09:59:26 PM

>List

1. Two blue sandcloth shirts
2. Eight black furred, quirri thongs.
3. Three cases of "muscular man" powder.
4. Five bone swords.
5. Many newbie boots.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 21, 2010, 09:59:26 PM

>List

1. A couple blue sandcloth shirts
2. Many black furred, quirri thongs.
3. A few cases of "muscular man" powder.
4. Several bone swords.
5. Innumerable newbie boots.

Some items in the shop code are "infinite" which means you can buy them until the apocalypse happens or Armageddon 1 closes.  That's just because I guess every shop should have a good supply of basic staples for all those newbies running around buying gear with their starting money.  Anyway, shopkeeper can't realistically have "infinite" items in his inventory, so another item just sort of appears there every time it's purchased.

I'm not really sure how the "numbering" code would handle that sort of thing.  I wouldn't like to see "infinite amounts of obsidian maces" for sale.  But I think it's a good idea.  I hate buying an earring and then finding out there was only one left.  Like, talk about asymmetrical, dude!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

February 21, 2010, 10:16:06 PM #13 Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:19:15 PM by Pale Horse
I should have added that in the back of my mind, I was adding the "Innumerable" descriptor in there to represent an item that was always available.  Less confusion.

Perhaps:

>List

1. A standard supply of bone swords.
2. A standard supply of newbie boots.

As a way of indicating what is always available in that shop?  Or change out "standard supply" for "in stock: etc" or what have you.

Looking at it, though, it strikes me as a bit too wordy, or the potential to be so, with items that have long descriptions.  That could be remedied by never having a shop that has an infinite supply of "Black-fringed, red and white lacy thongs with ginka-vine patterns" and similar long-worded things, I suppose.  Fancy items would always have to be player made, and supplied, or the shops that sell them have a limited supply in stock whenever they are re-stocked.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 21, 2010, 07:29:35 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 21, 2010, 07:08:34 PM

Because that would be ugly...same reason we don't see

In room:

Many pairs of chalton hide boots (x12).

Well, I don't think it's so terrible, given that we're dealing with shop lists and not rooms.  But I also like the idea of adding it to the "view" command, rather than adding a new one.  There are already alot of commands to learn.

This will be in next reboot under the list command,

Here's sample (made-up) output:

1) a leather backpack for 24 obsidian coins, many are available.
2) a chalton-hide wallet for 40 obsidian coins.
3) a pair of newb boots for 36 obsidian coins, many are available.
4) a small stone earring for 12 obsidian coins, a couple are available.
5) a black book for 50 obsidian coins, a few are available.

The rules are, if there's one available, no change is made.  If there's two available it says 'a couple'.  If there's 3-5 available it'll say 'a few'.  If there's more than five, it'll say 'many'. 
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morgenes, have I mentioned lately that you are the man?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on February 22, 2010, 04:09:27 PM
Morgenes, have I mentioned lately that you are the man?

Seconded.  There is some serious awesomesauce here.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Very nice.

Srsly Morgenes ... kudos.  :)

I only read every thread so that I do not miss FANTASTIC things like this.

I love staff.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on February 22, 2010, 11:04:56 PM
I only read every thread so that I do not miss FANTASTIC things like this.

I love staff.

Seriously, HUGE kudos Morg.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.