Dogs

Started by Sandor, July 02, 2003, 08:38:54 PM

Are there dogs in this world?  I've looked over Beasts doc, and seen Jakhals and Gortoks, but they both look pretty sissy, so wondering if there is anything else, like a mean-ass fucking dog that would bite your head off if you messed with it.

-Sandor
The Hound

Woah! Sissy Gortuks? Well AFIK they are no dogs as such :( Would be cool ta see one though. Escpecialy if they got cool classes! like assasin!

The feral hound has arrived from the west

look hound

you see no one by that name here

You think "what the fuck, whered he go?"

You feel a fang slip in between your ribs

Your vision goes black

Someone licks your face before beginning to chew
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"Well AFIK they are no dogs as such :( Would be cool ta see one though.
Are there any virtual dogs in the towns around Allanak? I thought I might have seen one in a room description.

I have seen at least one dog in-game, but its been some years now. I think Gortoks are generally synonymous with out RL conception of 'dogs' in Zalanthas.
Don't forgive and never forget; Do unto others before they do unto you; and third and most importantly, keep your eye on your friends, because your enemies will take care of themselves.   -J.R. Ewing

My personal theory is that back in the time of the Council of Kings, before the apocolypse, there were canines like wolves, coyotes and even domesticated dogs.  

Then the dragon came, the cities were leveled, the environment was ruined and life sucked mightily.  The only people that survived were small nomadic groups and the servents of the Dragon himself.  It was a bad time to be a lap dog, or any domesticated animal.  For the most part those that were not killed in the appocolypse were either eaten or left to run feral.  The surviving canines joined into loose packs of dangerous feral mutts but without the organization and strict hierarchy of a wolf pack and (more dangrously) without the fear of man possessed by most wild animals.  These unplesant shadowy remnants of dogs are widely known as gortoks.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ever tried to take on a pack of gortoks before?  They are decidedly NOT sissy.  :P
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Gortok's sissy!?  I always imagine them as creatures that would make wolverines seem pathetic.  They're huge hulking canines with razor sharp teeth and claws.  They're not exactly docile as their hides are usually completly covered in scars because they're constantly fighting, if not with their prey or anything that gets in their way for that matter then with each other.

You want mean?  I don't think you can get much meaner than a gortok since it attacks anything including its own kind.  Maybe it could insult your mother and pour salt on your wounds, that'd be meaner.

I kinda think of the G'mork from the Neverending Story as what a gortok might look like.

And Jakhals?  They're actually lizards in Zalanthas as opposed to their mammillian earth counterparts, and they are pretty dang tough if I remember correctly.

I think one thing Armageddon is not short on is mean animals.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

You actually make reference to the Neverending Story?  Oh man, I'll never forget that one.  And as for gortoks being mean, I don't know if they are or not, I'm going by what I read in the docs, which is this, if you havn't read it.

Gortok : A common type of canine in the northlands, the gortok are well-known as wild predatory scavengers with a strong pack mentality. They are not known for particular intelligence or cleanliness, but are quite hardy, capable of loping great distances after their slowly tiring prey before moving in with their vise-like jaws. Their hides often become an all but useless mass of scar tissue due to the constant fighting amongst themselves or the wounds recieved during a hunt.

So what we have here is a stupid canine, that cares not to groom itself, is a wild predatory scavenger, meaning it is wild (what animal isnt?) and scavenges I guess, and is hardy and can lope great distances.  Oh and has vise-like jaws.   Sounds real scary to me...

-Sandor
The Hound

I guess I just don't understand what you're looking for.  You want mean dogs?  Gortoks are mean dogs.  Do you want meaner, bigger dogs?

I've had characters mauled by packs of gortoks, and I tell ya., they can be pretty damn scary then.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Sounds exactly like a hyena, the true king of the jungle, and if a smart pack hunting animal with probly the highest jaw pressure of a mammal does not scare you...shrug, I just don't know what to say, except find somebody IC to tell you where they are and go find them or maybe wish up about them not being scary, odds are that would get you some kind of response....Or if your in nak you could probly talk to a templar about the wussy gortoks used in the arena at times, I've always found they tend to be more then willing to toss somebody into the arena to entertain the masses.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Well just gang up on the new guy..

I still think they are sissy.

-Sandor
The Hound

They are sissy.  And fuzzy and cuddly.  You should go pet one and see if it will follow you home and be your pet.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Crymerci rules! Now if she just wasn't so old!

LOL. JK :-p

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Crymerci rules! Now if she just wasn't so old!

LOL. JK :-p

Creeper

So, Creeper, gonna be at that Seattle Player meeting, eh?  :Hands CryMerci a lamp, pats her on the back:  Have fun you two...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

I must be getting old, if people are calling me old.

Aren't there supposed to be some sort of benefits to getting older?

Oh wait, Creeper thinks I'm too old.  That works.  :P
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

"Then he shows his weakness, that's all mercy is."
-Count Adhemar

You guys are confused. He said he wanted to see a mean ass-fucking dog. Or did I get the inflection wrong?  :twisted:

Your vision goes black.

You feel something climb atop you from behind.

(more graphic details)

*beep*

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

Heh

Heheheheheheh

hehehehehehehehehehehe

thats just wrong  :twisted:
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I refer you to the song:

Gwar - Fucking an animal
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "crymerci"They are sissy.  And fuzzy and cuddly.  You should go pet one and see if it will follow you home and be your pet.

I actually played a character that had a pet gortok.  He was a hick tho.
And kind of a bummer to play because everyone looked at me like a weirdo when they'd see my pet.
f the end of the world is near, remove your fear and shed no tear.   Face life head on.

Quote from: "Sandor"
Well just gang up on the new guy..

Hate to say it, Sandor, but welcome back to High Scool.

:roll:

sigh,

Hade

--------------------
Snip Snip!

Well, if you -really- want to see how sissy they are. Go ahead and make a merchant. Step outside Tuluk, Allanak, Redstorm or Luir's. Go find a Jakhal or a pack of Gortoks.  Hit it with a rock.  :twisted: We'll see if the NPC itself can change your conception of 'sissy'.  :twisted:

Hehe, just kidding. I don't encourage that behavior. Mainly since it results in corpses litering the roads of the world  :P  8)

I encourage it, it's like a free 2000 sid :P

I avoid the term "dog" in the game, because it just sounds too "Lady and the Tramp."  THAT I find sissy (cute, but sissy).  People tend to think of everything from Poodles to Chihuahuas, with the odd scrawny mutt thrown in, and that just lacks the Zalanthan oomph.

What Zalanthas DOES have is massive raunchy canine-like creatures, more like the non-poodle Hulk-dogs (if you've seen the movie) than Lassie.  I don't want people to confuse vaguely similar Zalanthan creatures with Rex, and would rather you form your own vision of them based off of the description and reactions than apply RL bias.  Like we don't want you to confuse an elf with a tall skinny RL human; so we call them something else.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Even though all tall skinny RL humans are thieves
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Sandor, I don't think people mean to gang up on you. I think what they want to get across to you is that gortoks are not sissy dogs. Perhaps the description of them in the help files gives the impression that they are. Perhaps only you got that impression. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that they most certainly are mean, vicious things that will tear you (well they will my character anyway) to bits in a few seconds. Especially when there is more than one of them.

Quote from: "Hade"Hate to say it, Sandor, but welcome back to High Scool.

I'm really starting to like this guy.  

:D
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I've fought them off before with some characters. The problem is that even if you're good enough to take one down by yourself... Chances are you can't take ten.  8)

Gortoks are not.. well.. sissy. By themselves, they might not be the most vicious creatures.. but they're -pack- animals. And they do tend to travel in packs.

I have had qute a few characters injured by toks. It takes a HELL of a character to shake off a tok pack and I've seen battle-hardened warriors thrashed by them. I have only had -one- character ever able to take on more than one of them at a time, and said character had many many many days of playtime under their belt, if you want a more specific example of non-wussiness.

Gortoks are, I repeat, definately not wussy. They are nasty, smelly canines with big pointy teeth and will rend you a new asshole happily.

:shock:

Hope that helps!
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."

Gortoks are described to be vicious predatory animals who are constantly struggling to survive, bonding together in wild packs so that they can overpower or surround their prey while avoiding the dangers of a brutal environment. They have sharp claws, sharp teeth, are generally scarred all over as a result of their violent and harsh lifestyle, and are often far bigger than your average "dog". They snarl, they growl, they have saliva dripping from their maw, what else do you need to make a gortok seem more intimidating than your average dog?

Gortoks could be given wings, or flame-tongues, or glowing eyes that have petrification ability, but then they would probably be classified under something else rather than the traditional "mean dog".

Why is this thread going on? Everyone knows gortoks are tough. Sandor's been deleted. Let it go people.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

(edit)
Cause it's fun, besides, if your tired of this thread, stop clicking on it then.
(end edit)

Well, Though I consider them mean enough, zalanthas does have a huge number of mutations, somebody could always make packleader gortoks

l s

To the south you see:
near: nothing
far: A huge three headed gortok
A couple spotted mangy gortok's
A couple scarred wild gortok's
very far:nothing

A huge red furred drooling gortok arrives from the east
A mangy gortok arrives from the east
A large mangy gortok arrives from the east
A scarred hairless gortok arrives from the east.

Think Just Gortoks

l red

This huge heavily muscled beast has red and white dirty fur,
loops of stringy saliva drip from his large half open maw.
His eyes have a demonic gleam and look at you with near
intelligence.
A huge red furred drooling gortok is in excellent condition.

think Oh krath.

Ok, somebody else gets to do a fenris desc:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job