On topic petition

Started by spawnloser, February 11, 2010, 04:53:17 PM

Quote from: Morgenes on February 11, 2010, 12:57:34 PM
Please either contribute to the conversation or take it to the Out of Character forums.  It's hard to keep up with these as it is, if you would like staff to contribute, please consider that when posting trivial posts.
This is the biggest reason all of you annoy me.  You all couldn't keep on topic if your genitals were in a vice that tightened each time you went off-topic.

Let's make this a petition.  Let's make the signal-to-noise ratio improve so that the this turns into less of a monkey-cage and more of a productive forum for a game that we all love.  Sign below.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Gimf beat me to it.  That's one that you really need to look into, spawnloser.

In the United States, it's generally spelled "vise."  The other thing is something that I'm fairly certain we can gradually eliminate through the criminalization of activities that don't hurt nobody else.

Oh, oh, on topic...
If you want to spout random silliness related to a thread's topic:
(1) Hit "reply" to the post you're going to reply to.
(2) Copy the contents of the reply text box.
(3) Go to the Random Thoughts or Random Armageddon Thoughts thread.
(4) Hit reply there and paste the start of your reply from the other thread.
(5) Do not reply in the original thread.

Your silliness is thereby indulged without derailing the discussion.  And serious GDBers play the GDB as a whole, anyway.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

approach code

intraroom grid
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 11, 2010, 06:57:02 PM
approach code

intraroom grid

Well Synthesis you never answered my question.  How significantly would an approach code/intra room grid impact the current syntax we play with?  Will it yield longer delays on average?

February 11, 2010, 08:26:50 PM #8 Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:39:46 PM by jcarter
edit: nm

I didn't take the last one of these seriously.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 11, 2010, 07:43:58 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 11, 2010, 06:57:02 PM
approach code

intraroom grid

Well Synthesis you never answered my question.  How significantly would an approach code/intra room grid impact the current syntax we play with?  Will it yield longer delays on average?

Yes, it will yield longer delays...that's the entire point:  it takes time to move from point A to point B.  Which allows the person at point B to say, run away or equip his shield when a person at point A starts sprinting toward him with a giant axe.  Unlike now, where the person at point A simply command stacks an emote with the kill command, and magickally teleports across the room with it to hack you in the face.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Actually, that thread is different than that one.  That is mostly a request for people to stop being d.bags.  This thread is a request for people to be constructive and stay on topic.  Two different things...

Oh, and it is so heartening to see people nearly instantly derail a thread asking people to stop derailing threads and stay on topic.  Good job.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 11, 2010, 06:19:53 PM
Oh, oh, on topic...
If you want to spout random silliness related to a thread's topic:
(1) Hit "reply" to the post you're going to reply to.
(2) Copy the contents of the reply text box.
(3) Go to the Random Thoughts or Random Armageddon Thoughts thread.
(4) Hit reply there and paste the start of your reply from the other thread.
(5) Do not reply in the original thread.

Your silliness is thereby indulged without derailing the discussion.  And serious GDBers play the GDB as a whole, anyway.

This is what I took out of this thread. It's good sound advice. Plus it makes my precious random thoughts thread GROW! GROW!

Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

February 12, 2010, 07:31:26 AM #13 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:34:59 AM by Cutthroat
Quote from: spawnloser on February 12, 2010, 06:16:15 AM
That [thread] is mostly a request for people to stop being d.bags. This thread is a request for people to be constructive and stay on topic.

Mainly, yes. This phrasing like "collaborative" and "constructive" in Olgaris' thread explanation tends to imply an effort to stay on-topic.

Within the pledge itself, I'd argue "positive comments, ideas, and suggestions" and "express in a helpful and collaborative way" tends to imply an effort to stay on-topic.

The phrase "If I think someone, or some idea is stupid, I will keep it to myself and suggest improvements rather than make snide remarks in an attempt to make myself somehow look better" tends to imply to do more of what Morgenes did and you quoted, and less of what you did.

Quote from: spawnloser on February 12, 2010, 06:16:15 AM
Oh, and it is so heartening to see people nearly instantly derail a thread asking people to stop derailing threads and stay on topic.

It helps to be able to tune out the noise, as well.

February 12, 2010, 07:46:13 AM #14 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:47:45 AM by Lizzie
I think we should just keep on how we've been doing, giggle at Spawnloser's annoyance, and let the staff decide if and when the forum has had enough derailments.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah, and what I'm trying to do is get you all to understand that your derailing threads gets them closed.  I'm sure staff doesn't like to have to do that.  Debate and discussion should be allowed to continue... but then people that can't put a stopper in their gob fuck it up for the rest of us.

Quote from: spawnloser on February 12, 2010, 07:53:00 AM
Yeah, and what I'm trying to do is get you all to understand that your derailing threads gets them closed.  I'm sure staff doesn't like to have to do that.  Debate and discussion should be allowed to continue

Of course. So we've seen when your off-topic arguments have gotten threads locked, among other people. Phrasing matters a great deal, though, don't you agree? You can tell a child who is throwing a tantrum to "stop being a fucking retard" or tell him "be quiet". Which do you think he'll actually listen to and benefit from?

Quote...but then people that can't put a stopper in their gob fuck it up for the rest of us.

Pot, meet kettle. Do you really think a lot of people here will actually take your request seriously, given your tendency on the forums to be argumentative and nitpicky? I think they would listen to a staff member far more easily.

Keep in mind that I agree with your general premise. The GDB, as a whole, is better when people keep their random thoughts in the random thoughts threads. But there is the request tool, there is e-mailing mud@armageddon.org, there is the Report to moderator function. Leave the moderation to staff, it's a lot better and more certain.

Spawnloser practice what you preach.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

This thread is now about staying on topic.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 12, 2010, 09:40:15 AM
This thread is now about staying on topic.

I disagree with the basic premise and as such, I must cast my vote as "nay."

Furthermore, I favor purple notepads over plain yellow ones. The green ink of my pen shows up more clearly with the purple background.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If I post a request for three brothers and a sister who are either primary guild rangers or Elkrosians so that we can be called the Power Rangers (zing!), is it still inappropriate to dictate another character's guild? 
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

This thread is now about getting spawnloser's on-topic petition thread locked for straying off-topic.

Seriously, OP couldn't maintain a calm, respectful tone if his genitals were placed in a vise and that infernal device ratcheted tighter each time he drove a normally sane GDBer into maddened countertroll violence.  But he is, in all essentials, correct.  Moreover, it's something the staff have complained about several times recently...that's unusual and perhaps we should take note.

I think one of the major causes of going off topic...

Is that a lot of people on the GDB have social issues that prevent them from actually following a conversation.   We're all geeks and nerds, right?  We all have trouble following conversations in real life.  We pick up cues in conversations that aren't supposed to be there, and then talk at length about it.

It's a problem that we naturally have, in real life and in an online forum.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

But I think in this case we're all just trying to provoke spawnloser.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: mansa on February 12, 2010, 11:59:12 AM
Is that a lot of people on the GDB have social issues that prevent them from actually following a conversation.   We're all geeks and nerds, right?  We all have trouble following conversations in real life.  We pick up cues in conversations that aren't supposed to be there, and then talk at length about it.

It's a problem that we naturally have, in real life and in an online forum.

This does not describe me in any way, shape, or form. Nor, actually, does it describe any of the very intelligent and very geeky people I know IRL.

Quote from: LauraMars on February 12, 2010, 12:00:21 PM
But I think in this case we're all just trying to provoke spawnloser.

This. Though, my first post in this thread was not off-topic. I just wasn't interested in signing his extremely rude, thinly-veiled-insult "petition," especially when we just went through doing a GDB pledge thing a couple months ago.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.