Elves and Accents.

Started by musashi, February 11, 2010, 02:46:52 PM

Make it "hillbilly-accented" allundean.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

superiority-accented allundean
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Updated accents to provide a coded default for all starting locations -- Tiernan

oOOOooooOoOooOOO
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 03, 2010, 11:03:41 PM
Updated accents to provide a coded default for all starting locations -- Tiernan

oOOOooooOoOooOOO

KABOOM! AWESOME! T(iernan)-Pain Strikes! I'M ON A BOAT!
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Niiiiiice :-)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

If I haven't made it clear in the past, I <3 the coders for this game.  D.elf accent is live.  :)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Bleh
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I can dig it.
Free your hate.

Tiernan [3]> sing (using autotune) I'm on a boat!
Using autotune, you sing, in tatlum:
     "I'm on a boat!"

In case you hadn't noticed, the new desert accent shows up to others as "staccato-accented".  We had a pretty lengthy discussion on the staff forum about the adjective as well.  Since I just caught some d-elves chatting about the new accent suddenly appearing using OOC, I figured it ought to be mentioned on the GDB.

I'm glad this went in. It saved me the trouble of tying up the big propisition to staff like I was planning on doing  ;D

Thanks staff.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Hah. I stopped paying attention to this forum. Seen this IG for the first time today and almost shit myself. I was like, "What the fuck is staccato?!?" I wiki'd it. Then, finally, I looked here.
Haha.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I also didn't know what staccato meant. I think that is a flaw. Words should be easily understandable in a game like arm. Now this might just be me being ignorant, but I'd never heard the term until recently.

I always thought of it as fluid and graceful. Like Tennessee-twanged. Total let-down to learn that d-elves talk like they're from northern Jersey.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah, I always heard it like creole.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 11, 2010, 07:39:58 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on March 11, 2010, 07:03:23 PM
fluid and graceful.
Quote from: Lizzie on March 11, 2010, 07:03:23 PM
Tennessee-twanged.

What parts of Tennessee have you been to? o-O

ur missin teh point

DELVES R FROM JERSEY
>:(
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

First of all, I think its really cool how quickly this went through and got sorted. However, I'm going to be a nitpicking git but I guess this is what discussion boards are for. I don't think it fits in with the other accents. For one thing, it's Italian (I'm fine with foreign words that are commonly used in English, some people aren't though) but the main issue I see is that other accents are location based, whereas staccato is purely descriptive. I know D-elves are from all over the place, but it just doesn't fit in neatly with the others in my opinion (which leave the sound of the accent to the imagination).

I'll have to try hard not to imagine them chirping.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on March 11, 2010, 06:00:56 PM
Hah. I stopped paying attention to this forum. Seen this IG for the first time today and almost shit myself. I was like, "What the fuck is staccato?!?" I wiki'd it. Then, finally, I looked here.
Haha.
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 11, 2010, 06:15:59 PM
I also didn't know what staccato meant. I think that is a flaw. Words should be easily understandable in a game like arm. Now this might just be me being ignorant, but I'd never heard the term until recently.

We did spend time on developing this, and not once did a staffer not know what staccato meant (granted, they could have just Googled it to not appear ignorant).  I would say it is not a very obscure word, but I have had a background in music, so it may just seem that way to me.  One of the initial discussion points about this by staff was that Allundean seemed to have similarities to languages like Japanese or Korean.  For instance, perhaps the difference between "honored one" and "deadly enemy" is a matter of accenting the same word in a different way.  Staccato is the best descriptor I can think of; all of its synonyms kind of suck for tossing in front of -accented (clipped-accented, abrupt-accented/abruptly-accented, disconnected-accented, etc.)  

Quote from: Spoon on March 12, 2010, 05:53:20 AM
First of all, I think its really cool how quickly this went through and got sorted. However, I'm going to be a nitpicking git but I guess this is what discussion boards are for. I don't think it fits in with the other accents. For one thing, it's Italian (I'm fine with foreign words that are commonly used in English, some people aren't though) but the main issue I see is that other accents are location based, whereas staccato is purely descriptive. I know D-elves are from all over the place, but it just doesn't fit in neatly with the others in my opinion (which leave the sound of the accent to the imagination).

I thought the same thing initially, but the accent for one tribe of people is actually described as "melodiously accented."  This directly describes the sound of the accent.  Armageddon's accents are split between location/cultural based (rinthi/southern/northern), cultural/race based (tribal--humans), and sound-based (melodiously-accented would be one example--there are several others and actually more accents that describe the sound of the language than not).  Some consistency would be nice but that would probably be a target for Armageddon Reborn.  I wouldn't say the way it is described now is actually set in stone, but any improvement on the situation is better than nothing done at all.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 12, 2010, 09:53:55 AMI thought the same thing initially, but the accent for one tribe of people is actually described as "melodiously accented."  This directly describes the sound of the accent.  Armageddon's accents are split between location/cultural based (rinthi/southern/northern), cultural/race based (tribal--humans), and sound-based (melodiously-accented would be one example--there are several others and actually more accents that describe the sound of the language than not).  Some consistency would be nice but that would probably be a target for Armageddon Reborn.  I wouldn't say the way it is described now is actually set in stone, but any improvement on the situation is better than nothing done at all.

Personally I'd rather see more descriptive adjectives for accents that you can then infer the location from. If I've never heard of a southern accent or heard anyone speak it how do I suddenly realize that that is what it is?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Actually, Nyr, in another thread (I can't remember which one) I suggested 'staccato' be replaced with 'clipped' and other players did seem to like it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I like staccato.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

The problem with clipped is the awkwardness of how it will show. "clipped-accented". To me, any modifier that ends in -ed will look awkward. It doesn't quite fit, and besides that, "clipped" and "staccato" essentially mean the same thing - quick, short sounds.

I like it, and actually thought of East Asian languages when I first saw it too. I think it fits very well presently.

I like staccato, but I can see where it may be confusing for people that don't know their musical terms.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: daedroug on March 12, 2010, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: Nyr on March 12, 2010, 09:53:55 AMI thought the same thing initially, but the accent for one tribe of people is actually described as "melodiously accented."  This directly describes the sound of the accent.  Armageddon's accents are split between location/cultural based (rinthi/southern/northern), cultural/race based (tribal--humans), and sound-based (melodiously-accented would be one example--there are several others and actually more accents that describe the sound of the language than not).  Some consistency would be nice but that would probably be a target for Armageddon Reborn.  I wouldn't say the way it is described now is actually set in stone, but any improvement on the situation is better than nothing done at all.

Personally I'd rather see more descriptive adjectives for accents that you can then infer the location from. If I've never heard of a southern accent or heard anyone speak it how do I suddenly realize that that is what it is?

Yep.  As mentioned, this would be better to present for Armageddon Reborn, but it is a good thing to consider.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 12, 2010, 11:47:02 AM
Actually, Nyr, in another thread (I can't remember which one) I suggested 'staccato' be replaced with 'clipped' and other players did seem to like it.

I understand it was suggested and some other players seemed to like it.  That doesn't detract from it having some issues like the one Cutthroat brought up.  The reason I said those synonyms "kind of suck" is the way they'd be employed in front of "-accented."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.