Mounts will go on without you if you fall off

Started by MarshallDFX, February 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

All I can say is when I could ride, as a warrior, dual wielding awesome weapons after 4 days played...I thought to myself...Really?

glad code is changing. whatever. fall off your mount a couple times.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on February 13, 2010, 06:55:02 AM
All I can say is when I could ride, as a warrior, dual wielding awesome weapons after 4 days played...I thought to myself...Really?

glad code is changing. whatever. fall off your mount a couple times.

I wouldn't be so hasty to generalize your experience to everyone.  If you have middling agility without a ride-boosting subclass, riding is far more difficult than your comment makes it out to be.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I don't see why it's so important to be able to dual-wield while riding up a dune...

Really...this code is fine.

The only times you see riders with both hands full in real life is when the ground is hard and flat. At least I've never heard of a full cavalry charge in a desert...and even then, it's only for a -very- short distance.

Quote from: Pheonix on February 13, 2010, 09:25:49 AM
I don't see why it's so important to be able to dual-wield while riding up a dune...

The only times you see riders with both hands full in real life is when the ground is hard and flat. At least I've never heard of a full cavalry charge in a desert...and even then, it's only for a -very- short distance.

Mostly, when I play an assassin or burglar, I want to pretend to be rangers successfully without giving away the guild the moment I took one step outside the city gate.
Cinnamon, Sugar, And Softly Spoken Lies.

Quote from: Little_Cacophony on February 13, 2010, 11:30:16 AM

Mostly, when I play an assassin or burglar, I want to pretend to be rangers successfully without giving away the guild the moment I took one step outside the city gate.

And the code should let you on that basis alone?...

In any case, I've yet to see much problem with the code yet. Thanks for new addition, staff.

Quote from: Pheonix on February 13, 2010, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: Little_Cacophony on February 13, 2010, 11:30:16 AM

And the code should let you on that basis alone?...

In any case, I've yet to see much problem with the code yet. Thanks for new addition, staff.

Yes, it would be nice if I am able to do what I want to do icly. I am not complaining. There is no other problem I see with ride, (my rate of falling off is around once an ooc week so far, but it might be my stats) and Morgenes already stated how it is possible to achieve it. (if I read correctly) So I am quite happy.

Honestly, Little Cacaphony, if you want to have your character masquerade as another guild than they are, have the character put in the work to do so.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'd like to see more people travelling on foot. We're too used to being able to ride all over the place, so much so that it is the norm. The recent change does sound pretty annoying, but I like the idea that riding is something that needs to be honed, not something that everyone can do well. Making riding harder might add an interesting dynamic to the game, making riders more desireable and giving the ride skill more worth. Maybe this isn't the best way to make riding harder, maybe it is. I guess we'll see.

Some people do walk. They just don't survive long enough to be seen.

There are plenty of ways to protect yourself while walking. You could hire skilled riders to fend of raiders, for example. I just think that because of the way riding is almost universally used, we assume walking is highly dangerous/stupid and will get you killed, and is basically not an option.

Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
Honestly, Little Cacaphony, if you want to have your character masquerade as another guild than they are, have the character put in the work to do so.

I am just wondering...

Which part of my post suggested I wanted things handed to me for free? I worked for max ride and riding gears and asked a question. Got a satisfied answer to help me to get even better.

Other than that, I do agree completely. Work should put into everything we want to do. I usually fully expect to masquerade as another guild to most newbies at 40 playing days with all my chars.

Some people here mentioned warriors being able to etwo and ride around without failures. Was this before or after the code change in ride? Because I had an assassin being able to do it, worse yet ... I had a 'mage' being able to do it. But both times, it was in 98. I do believe things are a little different now.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2010, 06:19:40 AM
I had a human warrior who could ride etwoing/dual-wielding, without any ride-boosting subclass, so it's possible.  It's probably agility-based...so, hey yet another reason why prioritizing agility isn't such a bad idea.

Try to find a good way to explain ICly why you can only ride hands free while wearing riding gloves.  >.<

Shhh, if ginka hears that she'll crash for sure....

The next thing is to make it necessary to feed your mounts, and/or for you to have to pay extra depending on how long you've stabled your mount (up to a certain limit). Then we'd really have more walkers, and owning a mount (like 5 or 6, for some of you) would be more of a luxury.

;D

Quote from: Pheonix on February 13, 2010, 05:31:24 PM
The next thing is to make it necessary to feed your mounts, and/or for you to have to pay extra depending on how long you've stabled your mount (up to a certain limit). Then we'd really have more walkers, and owning a mount (like 5 or 6, for some of you) would be more of a luxury.

;D

We can dream, can't we?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 13, 2010, 04:19:24 PM
I had a human warrior who could ride etwoing/dual-wielding, without any ride-boosting subclass, so it's possible.  It's probably agility-based...so, hey yet another reason why prioritizing agility isn't such a bad idea.

Try to find a good way to explain ICly why you can only ride hands free while wearing riding gloves.  >.<

Haha, yeah, that was awkward.  Maybe they give you a better grip on your weapon so you don't accidentally drop it while trying to maintain  your balance?

This is why:

> help dual wield
Skill Dual Wield                                                   (Combat)

This automatically-used skill is invoked whenever your character fights
with a weapon in his/her secondary hand (see "help es"). It represents your
character's proficiency in fighting with two weapons.

Notes:
   It is somewhat easier to parry using two weapons.

No shield can be employed when using two weapons, and your character is
thus somewhat easier to hit.

See also:
   skill parry

> help etwo
ETWO                                                            (Equipment)

This command will cause your character to wield a weapon or hold an
object in both hands. It is the default for two-handed weapons.
   Weapons held in both hands are more likely to parry and the added
strength applied will allow your character to hit opponents more often and
cause more damage (this may be a hazard, as excessive damage tends to
break weapons). Also, heavier weapons than your character can use can only
usually be used with etwo. It is inferior, however, to single-handed
wielding in that no other weapon and no shield may be employed.

Syntax:
   etwo <object>

etwo (<message>) <object> [<message>]

Example:
   > etwo sword

> etwo sword (slowly raising it) [and stares long at the blade]

See also:
   command emotes, change hands, es, ep, hold, wield, rs, rp, rtwo, remove,
   draw

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2010, 07:10:28 PM

Haha, yeah, that was awkward.  Maybe they give you a better grip on your weapon so you don't accidentally drop it while trying to maintain  your balance?

Works until a gith disarms you...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on February 13, 2010, 07:14:16 PM

If you're a warrior getting disarmed by a gith, you might want to rethink your training regimen.

February 13, 2010, 07:15:50 PM #95 Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:17:23 PM by Xeran Van Houten
Touche.

Some people also want the shield out too, though, it's not always about the m4d p4rriez.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on February 13, 2010, 07:15:50 PM
Touche.

Some people also want the shield out too, though, it's not always about the m4d p4rriez.

Obviously the same reasoning applies to being able to hold a shield and a weapon.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2010, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on February 13, 2010, 07:14:16 PM

If you're a warrior getting disarmed by a gith, you might want to rethink your training regimen.

Not wanting to give anything away but I think some gith took your advice for warriors.

Quote from: Little_Cacophony on February 13, 2010, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on February 13, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
I am just wondering...

Which part of my post suggested I wanted things handed to me for free? I worked for max ride and riding gears and asked a question. Got a satisfied answer to help me to get even better.

Other than that, I do agree completely. Work should put into everything we want to do. I usually fully expect to masquerade as another guild to most newbies at 40 playing days with all my chars.
The part where you were trash-talking how things work suggested it.  However, I didn't say you wanted something for free.  I made a general comment directed at what you said, not an accusation.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 10, 2010, 02:11:46 PM
Sometimes people wouldn't notice they'd fallen, yes.  I really don't think this is the best solution though.

Notice the Stam going down, or the leading PC should be responsible and stop when they notice no one following them.

I have ridden most of my life, but I am no pro rider so there are rides I won't try. I assume the same will be in arm, you may have ridden your whole life, but if you're not some half-breed ranger, then you have no business taking a hard ride somewhere. Stick to the road.

As a side note, I have not a single time ever fallen off my mount, but I also only ride where IC'ly my character considers it an easy ride, which I am learning the code apparently backs up that sort of thinking. Sand, tight trees, overly rocky terrain, no one should want to ride on these surfaces and a fall should be expected in my newbie opinion.

Basically I am saying that if you don't ride your mount like you are in GTA, and instead stick to the roads, this shouldn't effect you -to- much I think.
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.