Mounts will go on without you if you fall off

Started by MarshallDFX, February 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

Doesn't seem realistic that your character is still standing after falling...

Tuck and roll?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Related mounty weirdness: thrown weapons can "knock you down" without knocking you off your mount.

A spear flies in from the north and strikes your hand, knocking you to the ground kind of thing.
> mount kank
You're already riding a saffron kank.
> south
Shouldn't you stand up first?
> stand
You stand up.
> south
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Pheonix on February 22, 2010, 11:58:22 PM
Doesn't seem realistic that your character is still standing after falling...
Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 23, 2010, 01:33:59 PM
Related mounty weirdness: thrown weapons can "knock you down" without knocking you off your mount.

A spear flies in from the north and strikes your hand, knocking you to the ground kind of thing.
> mount kank
You're already riding a saffron kank.
> south
Shouldn't you stand up first?
> stand
You stand up.
> south

Next reboot, both of these will be fixed.  You may not like the results of this.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Gosh darn you people.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

LOL, if I this means what I think it means, getting a knockdown from mountback is going to especially suck.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

If you get knocked off your mount, not only should you be lying down and lose HP for the fall, but your mount should get scared and run out of the "room."

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 23, 2010, 09:09:19 PM
If you get knocked off your mount, not only should you be lying down and lose HP for the fall, but your mount should get scared and run out of the "room."

Or if your mount is evil, be all *snickersnicker* you fell, you sucka! Wtf.

On a more serious note, I like this change. It made my RP funny. Thanks guyz. :D
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Morgenes on February 23, 2010, 04:24:09 PM
Next reboot, both of these will be fixed.  You may not like the results of this.

Ruh oh.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Uh, no.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

February 26, 2010, 03:21:50 PM #110 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:24:00 PM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Synthesis on February 24, 2010, 01:35:48 PM

Uh, no.

Why not? If it was dependent on:

1) The type of mount
2) How much combat the mount itself has seen? (do mounts have skills that could be saved and increase over time?)
3) How jarring the blow was?

BOOM AWESOME!

There should have some option for dismounting mounted fighters, which was ++ by long spears or polearms as well. Possibly a skills like "unhorse" or something.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on February 26, 2010, 03:21:50 PM
2) How much combat the mount itself has seen? (do mounts have skills that could be saved and increase over time?)

Mount skills would be tremendous (though they'd probably totally muck up the stabling code).  One skill for every corresponding riding ability: mount (taming), ride, charge, trample.  Store-bought mounts should have good mount and ride skills, while fresh-caught wild critters would be unreliable until properly broken.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 26, 2010, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: jmordetsky on February 26, 2010, 03:21:50 PM

Mount skills would be tremendous (though they'd probably totally muck up the stabling code).  One skill for every corresponding riding ability: mount (taming), ride, charge, trample.  Store-bought mounts should have good mount and ride skills, while fresh-caught wild critters would be unreliable until properly broken.

Yar. All cool. I don't know if the stable save "your mount" or saves "a mount". If you ranger quit with a tired beetle, is he tired when you come back in? That would indicate that it saves "your mount". But I think stables refresh the mount completely "a mount".

www.j03m.com

In five pages, I haven't seen a single person mention this, but...

We have gone through phases of mount failure that included:
-Mount not moving and everyone else moving on without you
-Mount throwing you off and staying in the same room
-Mount throwing you off and leaving without you

Now, as much as I DESPISE being thrown off (and how more often it seems to happen than any of the other penalties I've suffered while learning ride) aren't all three somewhat realistic results of failure?  Why aren't we still seeing mount stalls and the mount throwing you off but not leaving?  Wouldn't it make for a more realistic system to have all three either randomized or an indication of degree of failure?  IE when I sucked, my mount would throw me and run off, throw me and stay close by, or just refuse to move all together.  Now that I'm better, he only throws me off occasionally or stops moving.  Once I was better than that, I would just get occasional stalls.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on March 13, 2010, 05:56:52 PM
In five pages, I haven't seen a single person mention this, but...

We have gone through phases of mount failure that included:
-Mount not moving and everyone else moving on without you
-Mount throwing you off and staying in the same room
-Mount throwing you off and leaving without you

Now, as much as I DESPISE being thrown off (and how more often it seems to happen than any of the other penalties I've suffered while learning ride) aren't all three somewhat realistic results of failure?  Why aren't we still seeing mount stalls and the mount throwing you off but not leaving?  Wouldn't it make for a more realistic system to have all three either randomized or an indication of degree of failure?  IE when I sucked, my mount would throw me and run off, throw me and stay close by, or just refuse to move all together.  Now that I'm better, he only throws me off occasionally or stops moving.  Once I was better than that, I would just get occasional stalls.

You failed your ride check. Your mount is now 10 miles ahead of you, because you are in big outdoor rooms.

This is just a point of amusement for me; I do like the way mounts work now. And I find when I do fall off, it's almost always because I forgot to sheathe a weapon or something.

They still refuse to move sometimes.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Not to add more to hate about the code but...getting a penalty to riding when you're really tired would be another added realism thing.

I'm having no problem with the code currently IG. It's a hassle for the newer riders, but it makes sense that you require some kind of training and risk when trying to ride massive beetles and lizards...
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 14, 2010, 10:55:42 AM

You failed your ride check. Your mount is now 10 miles ahead of you, because you are in big outdoor rooms.

It's not 10 miles ahead of you, you just have to chase it for 10 miles to regain control!

The grizzled, grizzly gorilla shouts in sirihish:
    "Stop!  Stop!  Stop that beetle!"

The grizzled grizzly gorilla clamors over scrub and runs around boulders in his chase for ~beetle who seems to keep just out of his lengthy reach.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Semper on March 14, 2010, 02:54:18 PM
Not to add more to hate about the code but...getting a penalty to riding when you're really tired would be another added realism thing.

I'm having no problem with the code currently IG. It's a hassle for the newer riders, but it makes sense that you require some kind of training and risk when trying to ride massive beetles and lizards...

I think everything possible has been done to make riding hazardous. You don't really need to add anymore.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on March 14, 2010, 08:48:00 PM

I think everything possible has been done to make riding hazardous. You don't really need to add anymore.

Except inadvertantly summoning demons...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on March 15, 2010, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: janeshephard on March 14, 2010, 08:48:00 PM

Except inadvertantly summoning demons...

You haven't had that one happen to you yet?