Mounts will go on without you if you fall off

Started by MarshallDFX, February 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

It works fine if you have enough skill for it to be relavent - just like any other skill you can teach.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Jmordetsky, I have inspected your character, and with his stats it's a wonder you stay on as much as you do.  Really, if you are knowingly clumsy, do you really think that not using both your hands to hold on is smart?  Drop the shield and pick a better off-road mount and you'll find that you won't even pause.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on February 12, 2010, 03:07:40 PM
Jmordetsky, I have inspected your character, and with his stats it's a wonder you stay on as much as you do.  Really, if you are knowingly clumsy, do you really think that not using both your hands to hold on is smart?  Drop the shield and pick a better off-road mount and you'll find that you won't even pause.

Hahaha.   Joe's a noob.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: jstorrie on February 12, 2010, 03:07:07 AM
Well, they're just gloves. How much better at riding could gloves actually make you?

Not a lot, but I can say it does make a difference.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I thought I should contribute.

I noticed the fall part, but it is relatively infrequent for me (as non ranger) that it does not matter too much. One hand wielded, warbeetle.

Riding gloves - I notice a very big different.

Before ride code overhaul, when I am non ranger, I can wear the riding gloves or riding whatever gear and ride dual wielded on a warbeetle with no problem whatsoever. (maxed ride)

Now, I cannot even attempt to ride while dual wielding. Same guild, a difference in agility stat. Is this effect intentonal?
Cinnamon, Sugar, And Softly Spoken Lies.

ha we all know jmordetsky is playing a half-giant now
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

February 12, 2010, 05:08:37 PM #56 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:10:35 PM by jmordetsky
Jmordetsky, I have inspected your character, and with his stats it's a wonder you stay on as much as you do.  Really, if you are knowingly clumsy, do you really think that not using both your hands to hold on is smart?  Drop the shield and pick a better off-road mount and you'll find that you won't even pause.

Actually - that makes sense. Cool. I didn't take my AMAZINGLY crappy stats into account.

So from that point of view if you're not a total spas (like my char) a fall per day is excessive?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Synthesis on February 12, 2010, 04:14:10 PM
ha we all know jmordetsky is playing a half-giant now

Trust me, I wish I was an HG.... :(

www.j03m.com

Hah. That definitely delivered.

Oh! Play elves. Then you won't need to worry about ride, sillies.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: jmordetsky on February 12, 2010, 05:08:37 PM

So from that point of view if you're not a total spas (like my char) a fall per day is excessive?

If you are not on a mount that is not well-suited to off-road travel, if you are not trying to maneuver in hostile weather conditions, if you are not in treacherous terrain (like shifting dune sand, broken landscape, an area crowded with obstacles, etc.), if you are not trying to steer with just your knees and curse words, and if you are not a spas (like Jmodetsky's PC) a fall a day for a skilled rider is probably a unlikely.
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Quote from: Tzurahro on February 12, 2010, 06:07:11 PM

If you are not on a mount that is not well-suited to off-road travel, if you are not trying to maneuver in hostile weather conditions, if you are not in treacherous terrain (like shifting dune sand, broken landscape, an area crowded with obstacles, etc.), if you are not trying to steer with just your knees and curse words, and if you are not a spas (like Jmodetsky's PC) a fall a day for a skilled rider is probably a unlikely.

Bad ass. Gracias.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Little_Cacophony on February 12, 2010, 03:40:22 PM
Before ride code overhaul, when I am non ranger, I can wear the riding gloves or riding whatever gear and ride dual wielded on a warbeetle with no problem whatsoever. (maxed ride)

Now, I cannot even attempt to ride while dual wielding. Same guild, a difference in agility stat. Is this effect intentonal?
yes, this is intentional, attributes play a role in skills
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Also - how does one know if a mount is suited for off road travel? That is actually new variable/concept for me, I always considered mounts simply varying in str vs stam. I flipped through the help desk quickly and there are some notes about maneuverability but nothing that specifically states mounts being better or worse suited to on/off road travel. Or is it just things one should pick up ICly?

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on February 12, 2010, 06:21:35 PM

Also - how does one know if a mount is suited for off road travel? That is actually new variable/concept for me, I always considered mounts simply varying in str vs stam. I flipped through the help desk quickly and there are some notes about maneuverability but nothing that specifically states mounts being better or worse suited to on/off road travel. Or is it just things one should pick up ICly?
it is in the help files
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?ride

Skill Ride    (Movement)
In order to cross the vast wastes of Zalanthas it is often useful to ride certain beasts of burden. This skill represents one's familiarity with all pack and riding animals, and also one's proficiency in fighting while mounted. A certain level of skill must be attained to ride expertly in non- combat situations, and a greater degree still to perform well in combat. Rangers and half-elves have a greater rapport with animals than do others. To use the ride skill, all one has to do is mount an animal, and then enter a directional command (e.g., north).

Notes:
One hand must always be free for holding the reins, until you reach
high levels of skill.
The more hands you have free to use on the reins, the easier it is to
control your mount.
The speed you are riding can have an impact on your ability to control
your mount.
The terrain as well as type of mount can have an impact on your ability
to control your mount.

Low skill levels will result in being thrown from your mount during
combat and being injured in the process. It is possible to be knocked
unconscious by being thrown from one's mount (in which case, one will
then find oneself at the tender mercies of any hostile character in the
vicinity).
See also:
combat, dismount, hitch, mount, rent, rest, title, unhitch
Delay:
none (except for the normal movement delay)

Bolded for you, Joe.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on February 12, 2010, 08:20:08 PM
Bolded for you, Joe.

Thanks Mansa. How about which mounts are good at which terrain you douche.

And I mean douche in the most loving way possible :) cuz I heart you.

www.j03m.com

I'd probably say a MOUNTAIN ERDLU is good in the MOUNTAINS

I'd probably say a DESERT LIZARD is good for the DESERT.

Quote from: mansa on February 12, 2010, 09:53:42 PM

we're not friends now.

www.j03m.com

This all reminds me of a quote from Shal about merchants, I think. Something about "You were Mario, he was Joe the Plumber".

Even as a well seasoned warrior, you will never be the Mario of riding. Not without a cybernetic suit and/or virtual reality in Zalanthas.

I had a warrior who had to have max ride. I still could not ride with two hands full, and rarely rode with one full. I never fell, and this one time the mount didn't move. I think I was running, up a hill, in a level 4 sandstorm, at night, while being attacked by Cthulu himself.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

February 12, 2010, 10:01:30 PM #69 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:04:33 PM by mansa
Quote from: jmordetsky on February 12, 2010, 09:54:54 PM
Quote from: mansa on February 12, 2010, 09:53:42 PM

we're not friends now.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/beasts.html

http://www.armageddon.org/general/beasts.html#ratlon
Ratlon : These rare pack-beasts are only occasionally seen in recent generations, apparently being very difficult to breed. While not well-suited for long desert journeys, their tough hides and strong, steady legs make them excellent mounts for rough terrain, and some mounted military units have preferentially utilized them.

I can do this all day, Joe.  And all night.  Just ask S.  :nudge nudge:

Quote from: mansa on February 12, 2010, 10:01:30 PM
I can do this all day, Joe.  And all night.  Just ask S.  :nudge nudge:

wAiT wHAt do U MEAN?!!?!?!

Thanks for the link. We're friends again.

www.j03m.com

The helpfiles appear to be clear but honestly, IC? Most peopel ride two kinds of mounts and tell you if you're smart you'll stick to them.

Yes, it's due to the height of the mount not the TYPE of mount it is. Maybe this change in the code will finally bring things in line. I'm 100% for it (despite riding a mount I know in the description appears to be absurdly hard to ride).
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

This isn't from personal experience, but when I was playing a ranger, my mate, who I assumed to be a warrior with his badsass fighting skillz and ability to disarm/bash/kick, could ride around etwoing a weapon, and never lagged behind, and the only place he would ever fall off was in a certain rocky area. After riding around in there for a while, he almost never fell off there either. While etwoing still.

So..... You guys just suck, and need more practice. ;-)
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I had a human warrior who could ride etwoing/dual-wielding, without any ride-boosting subclass, so it's possible.  It's probably agility-based...so, hey yet another reason why prioritizing agility isn't such a bad idea.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.