Unhitch all

Started by SailorMars, July 02, 2003, 03:07:21 PM

I'd like to suggest an 'unhitch all' command that would unhitch everyone hitched to you. Very helpful for leading large groups of people to an area, then being able to leave yourself without having to unhitch each name or keyword manually.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I like this idea as long as anyone who was shadowing you remained hitched.  Otherwise I foresee people typing:

unhitch all;unlock door;open door;n;close door;lock door  ...or...
unhitch all;e;withdraw xxx;open bag;put xxx coins bag;close bag

Yeah, that's a cynical view, but you know it would happen.  :shock:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I agree with Crymerci, but I think shadowing someone through a door leading into a room empty of people (like into someone's house) is very bad form.  Of course, it wouldn't always be your fault since you can't control where they go, but if something like that happened, the shadower should reveal themselves immediately.  Emote something like sticks his foot in the door and forces his way in.

I don't care how sneaky you are, unless you're invisible, there's no way you can follow someone into their home without them noticing.

Not at all true.  Ive been able to sneak in behind people before.  They enter, I slip in, find a handy shadow to duck into, the close the door, and we continue on into the house.  It can be done, its just not easy, just like sneaking.  If you manage to shadow someone, then youre by cracky good enough for them to not notice when you slip in.

5DL
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Um, 5DL, I'm sure they weren't saying that it was impossible code-wise, but that it's unrealistic.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Hmm, damn expression problems...
 What I meant was that I RL have done this. Surprising a friend.  Honest.  It isnt as unrealistic as you might think, people do stupid things when they think theyre alone.  They dont look behind them (unless theyre paranoid) they swing doors without looking, thinking theyll close themselves...  All kinds of things.  It happens.

5DL
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

QuoteI'd say it's pretty low fantasy.

Not to be pedantic, but I'd say Arm is low-magic, not low-fantasy. It's no less fanastic than any other setting, really. For example, if we take the high-magic D&D world of Forgotten Realms and compare it to Dark Sun, yes FR has more mages and magic weapons out in the open, but then again in Dark Sun, every single person has wild psionic talent (represented in Arm by the Way).

As for the original idea of 'unhitch all', having not played a sneaky yet, I missed the shadowing aspect. So, I'd append to the original idea: Unhitch all would unhitch all the people your character knew (as in could see on stat, or score, wherever it's noted) were hitched to them. This would leave the assassin stalking you to go about their business uncheesed.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I was the 'guest' poster, I was on a different computer then.

Is it really acceptable to shadow someone into their home?  This would be extremely difficult, and downright impossible if the person being shadowed as taking the slightest precautions.   I maintain that under most conditions, it would be impossible.   If the person is closing the door right behind them...think about it, how could anyone possibly sneak in?  The time you did it in real life, they must have waited a while to close it..

Anyway, I'd be angry if someone pulled that on me, I guess is all I'm saying.
Maybe in certain circumstances it would be okay, but more than often not.  The stealth skill doesn't really apply here, it would be mostly luck if you succeeded or not.

FLEE                                                               (Combat)

This command will cause your character to run in a random direction,
with the intention of escaping a combat he/she is already engaged in. In
many instances it is the only way to escape a fighting situation. Note
that the use of this command does cause your character to begin running,
and thus will cause extra movement loss.
  Alert persons might be able to quickly determine which direction they
have fled in, and the practiced few may be able to retreat in an organized
manner such that they can flee in a direction they choose.
  Using the 'flee self' option will force your character to flee, even if
they are not involved in combat. This can be a useful way to escape from
someone who insists on following your character.

Syntax:
  flee
  flee self
  flee west
  flee w

See also:
  run, walk
Vendyra

I like the idea of "unhitch all" which would unhitch anyone who is -knowingly- hitched to your group. Flee is useful, but only if you're trying to "escape" something. If you're just out with a bunch of friends and they're all following you, and it's time to return to your barracks, or your apartment, or you want to drop them off at the local bar so you can go to market and buy whatever..

It would make no sense to "flee" and run, because you're not in a hurry. You are simply dropping your group off at one location and moving on alone to another. Alone - assuming no one is shadowing you of course. Hidden or invisible entities would be exempt from an "unhitch all" since you can't unhitch someone you don't know exists.

Like 5 day lifespan said, sneaking through a doorway after someone is hard but not impossible.
I've done it myself a few times...great way to scare the hell out of someone :twisted: ...just make sure they don't have a gun.
I like the idea of an unhitch all command, as long as it didn't unhitch shadowing people.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D