Arrows being pointless to bother crafting

Started by Nobodyknows, July 02, 2003, 04:25:04 AM

I say we make crafting arrows a bit easier, its impossible for even a ranger/archer to craft enough arrows to keep himself stocked, so theres no point in making arrows, it takes long enough to get better, then you dont even make much I say we make arrows easier to craft its not that hard to make an arrow, the way it is now a elf ranger/archer crafts arrows like a half-giant warrior/thug.

Fletchery has been tweaked enough IMO...Fletchery should be hard, because it takes a lot of skill to craft a perfect missle that is actually accurate.

It's fine,  leave it be, period end of story.

P.S. Don't change the code AGAIN Mrs. Savean! You've had to do that too much already! Just leave it be and ignore everyone else! :P

Personally, I wish it were harder. People can pump out a lot more arrows now and seriously, given the value of arrows in a world deprived of wood, let it be hard to make. How many people would be able to gain the expertise of perfect arrow-makers afterall.
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

Considering in the North, the widely available, cheaply gathered/bought materials, I think people should just leave it be. If your talking about how difficult and expensive it is in the South, then... good. It should be. There is a reason that the trillions of militia guards dont take up the bow. There is a reason why there is one bow shop in the south and maybe 5+ places in the North.

Then also consider that 10 arrows in a useful ranger's hands is a possible slaughter on their victum, and that even one or two could take down large prey. So you collect twenty branches in a day, make 5 of them into shafts, fit chunks of rock into them (dont even need to cut the rocks into arrowheads anymore) and fletch them with feathers that are also cheap and easy to acquire. Lets say 3 of those succeed. Now that would be a good day/two-days work.

And of course the craft has a high learning curve, as most do. But with some nice tools, and a modest investment of time, you could manage an arrow or two. It shouldnt be something thats easily picked up, otherwise everyone and their mother would be a ranger, raining death upon the masses.

On another note, if there isnt... there should be a sling craft.
craft leatherstrip into a leather sling
craft bonefork leatherstrip into a two-tonged leather sling
craft (whateverelse you can make slings out of) into (whatever) sling

and then also... with some of the neat clay available I hear:
craft clay into a round clay marble
Maybe have it be hardened in a fire or something. ^_^

Quote from: "Jenred"So you collect twenty branches in a day, make 5 of them into shafts, fit chunks of rock into them (dont even need to cut the rocks into arrowheads anymore) and fletch them with feathers that are also cheap and easy to acquire. Lets say 3 of those succeed. Now that would be a good day/two-days work.

Versus the furniture-maker who can whip out fifteen chests instantly or go for the big stuff?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

It only took me about 15 minutes per arrow to make 'em IRL.  Then again, I was using hollow aluminum shafts and had tools for everything from sizing the shaft to placing the vanes at exactly 120 degrees apart.

I'm sure it takes longer to fiddle with wooden shafts and feathers.  And if you didn't have the specialized tools... I could easily see it taking an hour just to make a single arrow, even for an experienced fletcher.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I think it should be possible to make bone-shafted arrows in the south.  Excuse me while I go submit some.
Back from a long retirement

Bah, it's obvious that the complaints about fletchery are never going to end.  I say we bring back arrowheads.  Arrowheads were cool.  (And in the south crafting arrowhead gave you something to do when you couldn't afford bones for the shafts.) ;)  Crafting arrows is a RP tool, if you don't like crafting them go to one of the places that sells 12-14 sid arrows and buy your arrows.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteI think it should be possible to make bone-shafted arrows in the south. Excuse me while I go submit some.

There are some in the game, but bone is much more expensive, brittle, and hard to come by then branches in a forest.

Like imagine trying to shape your own forearm into a narrow bone arrowshaft.

Quote from: "Jenred"

I think the lack of an arm would be the major handicap there.  :wink:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

QuoteVersus the furniture-maker who can whip out fifteen chests instantly or go for the big stuff?

I've noticed wood crafting is easier then fletchery... But it also has a big delay even when you get good... Also even being a buff character skilled at hacking up logs.. It's hard to get enough planks in a day to whip out fifteen chests. If your being given the materials, you most likely have the money for the cheap tools that help alot... And you'd be all set, sitting out someplace cozy and dedicating your time to chests... I know with basic tools, and the wood I could crank out fifteen chests with a MUCH better success rating then in armageddon... maybe that code should be changed too..

I personally am still REALLY pissed that arrow heads were taken out. Think for all the pussies that were complaining, could have made it so the current arrows still worked and crafting arrow heads still works... And just copy the arrows to make them for just shards... Would have just been as much work and wouldn't have tooken away something some people who weren't whining and complaining something to do... I had one southern person who made his own arrows... He was poor, and sucked at making arrow heads so slowly worked up a supply untill he had enough money to afford shafts... Can't do it no more... *sigh* Such a waste and it's all because of *you*.

Oh, still appreciate all the work Sanvean put in, even if it was for a bunch of whiny babies who don't know a good thing when they have it.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Yeah, I had a character that was hired specifically for chipping out millions of arrowheads a day in a dank pit of a workshop. (Well the Gaj, but its pretty much the same). And I met alot of interesting people and thieves while sitting at that table, chipping out arrowheads for my wealthy merchant master that I eventually learned had died in the sands... but not before making an endless supply of arrowheads from the easily procured flint.

Oh woe is me who can no longer make arrowheads :(

Quote from: "crymerci"
Quote from: "Jenred"

I think the lack of an arm would be the major handicap there.  :wink:

*groans* Oh man, now how am I supposed to use my bow?   :lol:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".