What sayest thou?

Roustabouts
4 (11.1%)
Hitchin' posts
13 (36.1%)
Bacon
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

January 30, 2010, 04:17:58 AM Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:19:37 AM by Synthesis
Option 1
So suppose I'm an enterprising NPC.

And suppose I notice folks often have to leave their mounts unattended in the bazaar while they attend to their business.

And suppose I notice that, well, that's just not a very bright idea.

And suppose I go about to start a hitchin' post service in a central location in a bazaar, such that, for a fraction of the price of a regular stabling fee, I'd look after folks' mounts for a little while.

In the Middle of a Teeming Bazaar [NESW]
    This is a bazaar.  There are people milling about, hustling to and fro, and haggling over the price of various bits of this, that, or the other.  The sun beats down, and every footstep kicks up a small cloud of dust, because it's dusty.  It's also hot.  Because of the sun.
A small stand is here.
A lean, half-elven roustabout is standing here, looking over some mounts.
-He is watching a black war beetle.
-He is watching an inix.
-He is watching a yellow sunback lizard.

> dismount
You hop off of a chalk-shelled gaj.

> rent fluffy
A lean, half-elven roustabout accepts the reins of a chalk-shelled gaj.
A lean, half-elven roustabout says, in sirihish:
    "Here's your ticket.  The charge is 5 'sid an hour.  If you're not back in two hours, you'll have to retrieve your mount at the city stable."
A lean, half-elven roustabout gives you a strip of braided, tattered cloth.

> look

This is a bazaar.  There are people milling about, hustling to and fro, and haggling over the price of various bits of this, that, or the other.  The sun beats down, and every footstep kicks up a small cloud of dust, because it's dusty.  It's also hot.  Because of the sun.
A small stand is here.
A lean, half-elven roustabout is standing here, looking over some mounts.
-He is watching a black war beetle.
-He is watching an inix.
-He is watching a yellow sunback lizard.
-He is watching a chalk-shelled gaj

> enter stand
You enter a small stand...

Option 2

A small stand is here.
A lonesome hitchin' post is here, waiting to be used.

> dismount
You hop down from a chalk-shelled gaj.

> hitch fluffy post
You hitch a chalk-shelled gaj to a lonesome hitchin' post.

> You notice: a thievin' gaj-rustler attempts to unhitch a chalk-shelled gaj from a lonesome hitchin' post.
Someone in the crowd shouts, in sirihish:
    "Hey, that's not your mount! Thief! Thief!"
A thievin' gaj-rustler is now wanted!

> smirk
You smirk.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I voted bacon before ever reading the post ... because I <3 bacon.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Everyone loves bacon.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I really wish we could vote twice. But, bacon got my clickie.

I do like the idea of a hitchin' post :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like both ideas combined. Some posts could be watched, others would be Park At Your Own Risk posts.

+1

Can bacon be for both? 'Cause I'm with Cutthroat on this. I like 'em both. :-D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I see this as something that would be very nice in more distant outposts and tribal areas. I don't see it as valid in Tuluk and 'Nak unless we're talking the tribal market in Tuluk.

It's less civilized than stabling.

I like it though, and five sid should be all you pay for stabling anyway! Stables get so much business.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Some posts could be watched, others would be Park At Your Own Risk posts.

"park at your own risk posts" sound exactly like

dismount
emote ties his inix to a hitching post here.
leave

to me.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

My concern with hitching posts and roustabouts is that people may favor them over stables due to the lesser fee, despite the fact that they are just a temporary, short-term solution.  Stables do more than just shelter your mount; they feed, water, and otherwise care for it, hence the steep fee.

On the code side of things, save rooms currently only account for items, not NPCs, so this change might require a little more code than one might think at first glance...  Unless, of course, you're willing to risk losing your mount in a crash.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I like these ideas very much.

Idea: hitching fee is proportional to time yer critter's left there.  One whole IC day = 20 'sid.
Idea: when it's dark out, you can unhitch and take anybody's critter without you get a-flagged.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 30, 2010, 04:25:59 PM
I like these ideas very much.

Idea: hitching fee is proportional to time yer critter's left there.  One whole IC day = 20 'sid.
Idea: when it's dark out, you can unhitch and take anybody's critter without you get a-flagged.

Those ideas would certainly assuage my fears of people abusing the system.  :)  Way to be solution-oriented, brytta!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 30, 2010, 03:03:23 PM
On the code side of things, save rooms currently only account for items, not NPCs, so this change might require a little more code than one might think at first glance...  Unless, of course, you're willing to risk losing your mount in a crash.

If I remember right, [SAVE] rooms save mounts. At least a merchant house must have a stable room where you simply leave the mount and it saves between reboots. Though my memory is fuzzy right now.

The idea? Eh.. Putting someone that looks after the mounts while you're shopping may be interesting. But my final decision is, of course, bacon.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

My concern with hitching posts and roustabouts is that people may favor them over stables due to the lesser fee, despite the fact that they are just a temporary, short-term solution.  Stables do more than just shelter your mount; they feed, water, and otherwise care for it, hence the steep fee.

I agree - but depending on the character I'm playing, I may not want, need, or choose to pay someone else to feed, water, or otherwise care for my mount.

Quote from: zanthalandreams on February 02, 2010, 06:56:46 AM

I agree - but depending on the character I'm playing, I may not want, need, or choose to pay someone else to feed, water, or otherwise care for my mount.

Heeeeey, I remember you.

More relevant to the discussion at hand: save rooms do save mounts, so there's no need to worry about that.

This is a fantastic idea, especially if there would be some way for an inspiring scoundrel to sneak off with a critter. After dark sounds good to me.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Just so that it is said, I'm pretty sure that save rooms do save NPCs.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

New character concept: the half-elven hitching post

Quote from: Cavaticus on February 02, 2010, 12:23:17 PM

Make it karma restricted or everyone's mount will go missing.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on February 02, 2010, 03:14:26 PM
Quote from: Cavaticus on February 02, 2010, 12:23:17 PM

Make it karma restricted or everyone's mount will go missing.

With those half-elves, I'd be more worried about consent...