Bleeding

Started by Van, January 28, 2010, 06:16:36 PM

I think the stock Bleeding lightly,heavily, profusely need to be changed to what you get when you assess someone. So it says the short, fat man is here, in moderate condition.

There are lots of instances where people get hurt, but wouldn't be bleeding, and having everyone say "Oh gosh, you're bleeding everywhere!" when you just fell off your mount, or sparred for a bit, is dumb.

I agree. To go along with it I think there should be an example guide for ideas of what sorts of conditions these levels can mean in the documentation.

Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Agree with both posters so far. Particularly, I hate it when I'm sparring, then all of a sudden everyone acts like I'm pouring buckets just because I took a couple solids. At MOST I'll emote a bloodied welt forming, or a super-nasty bruise. None of which bleed profusely.

To add onto this, when I was helping Delerak alpha his Dark Sun MUD, he had code put in where you could look at PC/dead body and it would show a list of wounds right after the mdesc. So you could see what killed someone.

Example:
l body
You look down at the body of the pale thin man.
This man is pale. He is also thin. This makes him rather thin and pale. Oh, he's a human too. He has a few signs of what could possibly be elven heritage, but they're only subtle enough to make you wonder, not make you full-blown suspicious. Can I describe his endowment here? I want him to get laid a lot. Especially by other species. No? Okay, then that's pretty much all there is about him.
The pale thin man is dead.
He has a large bruise on his head. He has a brutal chop mark in his neck. He has a deep slash across his chest. He was probably molested at some point. He has three small bruises on his leg. He has a grazed stab on his foot.

And it basically lists off every wound they received in the fight before they died, or before the counter wore off on a living PC. It was still being tweaked at the time. While I don't agree with being able to see that he took 5 grazes, 3 lights, 2 solids, and 2 horrendous's, I do think it would be awesome to see the last 3 good shots that a player took, so that when the templar asks the rinthi why he's bleeding, he can't say he fell off a roof, because he would have a gouge in his neck that fit a half-giant soldier's greatsword PERFECTLY.

Food for thought. I think it's been discussed before.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I agree with the OP... And! This doesn't seem all that hard to implement. But what do I know.

Seems to be more of a design issue though. Either a simple fix or an overhaul.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

For some reason I am thinking it's as simple: >replace all "bleeds profusely" with "in poor condition"

Chopping, slashing,peircing-> Bleeding lightly, profusely, etc.

Bludgeoning, falling, etc -> Bruised, bruised and battered, etc.

Poisoined -> looking unwell

The bad luck dude is here, looking unwell, bruised and bleeding lightly.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Let's try not to over complicate a *simple solution.

*I've no idea if it's really simple.

Quote from: Twilight on January 29, 2010, 02:53:17 PM

It's a good idea in theory, until the code has to decide what to tack onto the tall, muscular man, who was shot with a poisonous arrow then smacked in the face with a maul.

I agree with the OP, too. We have tdesc to describe exactly how our characters are doing so we can do away with the bleeding thing.

We could just make the actual condition have precedence. You would notice someone is bleeding before you would notice they are sick and you would notice they are sick before you notice bruising.

Then, if you want the whole plethora of bruises and cuts, you can assess -v them.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Changing the message from 'bleeding lightly' to 'moderate condition' is a matter of minutes.  Anything beyond that gets a little more complex, from an implementation standpoint.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 29, 2010, 07:53:02 PM
Changing the message from 'bleeding lightly' to 'moderate condition' is a matter of minutes.  Anything beyond that gets a little more complex, from an implementation standpoint.

Precisely. This seems to me something that's a small fix, and would go a long ways toward immersion.

Quote from: Twilight on January 29, 2010, 02:53:17 PM

Just stating the obvious: but this is an overhaul rather than a simple text change. I personally think this should be handled in game via etiquette. You see someone in bad condition you don't assume until they emote their wounds to you.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Hardly anyone one does that, janeshephard. In my experience.

Something about seeing the words "bleeding profusely" seems to make people think you were backstabbing npc's in the 'rinth, instead of dying of dehydration.

While we're on the subject:

I wish people would stop assuming that because someone's gear is bloodied that a) it happened recently and b) that it's their blood.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I say let them assume.

It's codedly possibly to get the other's guy blood on your equipment if you hit him hard enough so there isn't any OOC metagame knowledge assuring players that a bloodied object on another PC was caused by that PC being hit. Let them assume, they could very well be wrong. This seems to happen IRL as well, or at least in cinema. I've seen lots of movies were people freak out when they see someone all bloodied up, only to learn a few moments later that it isn't their blood.

As for the dried bit, it -would- be cool if the code had two seperate tags for equipment, one for fresh blood and one for dried and crusty blood ... till we get that though I usually just wait for the other person to explain via emotes if the blood is fresh or not; and if anyone ever tried to point out to my PC that their equipment was freshly bloodied but I knew it was old dry blood, I'd just correct them with an emote or something.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It is fine if they assume, but if you emote/say that it isn't yours/fresh then it would be real annoying/powergaming for them to say it is yours/fresh. I would also avoid/kill that player in the future.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

This comes up a lot. Most players agree. We've wanted it for a long time. I guess if the idea were going to inspire on of the Arm1 coders it would have happened by now. Maybe they'll implement something that makes sense for Arm2.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.