The break command, as in plants

Started by Cuusardo, July 01, 2003, 12:54:11 PM

At the risk of giving too much IC info, I'm playing a ranger and have yet to successfully break anything off of any kind of plants in the wilderness.  I've come across all kinds of shrubs and grasses that I've tried to break, but to no avail.  Am I doing something wrong?  Am I missing a skill that I should have in order to be able to get something from these plants I find?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

The break functionality is a script, that originally was attached to a couple of specific plant objects. Most plant objects in the game don't have this script on them, but can be interacted with in other ways (often "look in <plant>" may yield a hint).

I beleive it's only certain plants that you can break from. I've seen it done successfully and with non-rangers so I don't know anything of the specifics behind it. Sorry for that. But do know they don't seem grandly common.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

See I've tried looking into the plants that I find, but the majority of the ones I find give me the message saying they aren't containers.  Does that mean that they're just there for show and I'm a dufus for trying?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

This comes up periodically; someone (*poke John*) should probably archive some mini-doc.  Meanwhile, see this.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

BTW... Rindan may give lots of good advice but is really the secretive powerful sorcerer in charge of the Smurf village and keeping it hidden so noone finds Myrdryn's lair and such so they can't get the full body kank suit for me.

Ooh... And I was right... AGAIN.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Try these:

examine <plant>
get <plant>
get all <plant>
break <plant>
get all

Substitute an actual keyword of the plant for <plant> and you may have to make several attempts to find the actual keyword, because sometimes objects have ldescs that don't contain their sdesc, so the keyword is hard to find.  You might find something like "a patch of weedy foilage spreds accross the ground here" but "patch" and "foilage" aren't keywords, while "ferns" is a keyword.  If "examine <keyword>" works you've got an actual working keyword.

If you are able to look at or examine the object, but get all, get all plant and break plant bring you no joy, then the object is likely just decorative.  There are plants and shrubs around that don't seem to provide anything useful code-wise, but simply represent that there are plants in the area.

Quote from: "creeper386"BTW... Rindan may give lots of good advice but is really the secretive powerful sorcerer in charge of the Smurf village and keeping it hidden so noone finds Myrdryn's lair and such so they can't get the full body kank suit for me.

Ooh... And I was right... AGAIN.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.  ;)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

It's only right for a second. And when I'm right, I'm RIGHT.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Lazloth"Someone (*poke John*) should probably archive some mini-doc.
If you want to start a thread for people to say what the commonly asked questions are then I could put something together a lot more easily :) *looks at the other work he hasn't done in a while because of other school work.... makes a note to stop being such a lazy ass*

Quote from: "AC"Try these:
examine <plant>
get <plant>
get all <plant>
break <plant>
get all
There are some plants up north that don't seem to respond to any of these (I also tried look in <plant> and a few other things). So maybe you came across one of those ;) Which is caused by people already getting stuff from the plant but it yielding no visible description change (that I know of).

Then again I'm not the most successful of rangers  :roll:

Yes, there are some plant objects that are just for show... but then again, if you look at those objects, they look pretty, you know... useless.