You fall off your glossy, black-shelled inix...

Started by drunkendwarf, December 31, 2009, 10:24:35 AM

...really? Shouldn't there be some point at which this doesn't happen? Shouldn't every guild every get a high enough ride to overcome this, at least while at a walking pace?
I've got a rather long lived character who spent nearly every waking moment atop a mount for at least 20 days play time...and yet it seems I can't navigate through the scrubs without flat out falling off my mount, while at a walking pace. Does anyone else find this to be a bit ridiculous?
Is ride a skill that can be bumped with some logs? Do I even need the logs at this point, given how many days play time my character has, and what his profession is? It would seem very strange for him to suddenly start "practicing his riding" after nearly 20 years in game.
Nevermind the fact that I've seen other people I know are the same guild as my character ride around with a weapon in each hand...that's probably another post.  ;)

December 31, 2009, 10:30:03 AM #1 Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:33:34 AM by Nyr
QuoteSkill Ride                                                       (Movement)
Notes:
  One hand must always be free for holding the reins, until you reach
high levels of skill.

The more hands you have free to use on the reins, the easier it is to
control your mount.

The speed you are riding can have an impact on your ability to control
your mount.

The terrain as well as type of mount can have an impact on your ability
to control your mount.

Maybe you're just not a rider.

edit to add:  And really, individual issues are best dealt with by a request and not a call to arms on the GDB, but feel free to bring up the topic in general.  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I will answer the gist of the other question though:

Ride is a skill that can be bumped with logs.  Just because you have a long-lived character doesn't mean your long-lived character is an expert at riding without training it, and even if you do train it up to the highest point you can (unless you are a half-elf or a ranger) you're probably not going to be an expert rider.  There are a lot of variables that affect riding, and your assessment of your character's level of skill may just be wrong; the helpfile points at that specifically.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

That's my point though - I think every guild should eventually be able to get decent enough to the point that they don't just flat out fall off a mount while it's walking. Zalanthas is extremely mount oriented - if you want to survive outside the gates you will learn to ride.
I'm not sure how the algorithms work for skill advancement, and I wouldn't care if it takes a long time to achieve this level of skill...I just think everyone should be able to get to the point where they can safely ride a mount over pretty well anything, provided they're walking the mount. Seriously. I used to ride horses in the mountains all the time. It's not that difficult at all when the animal is walking, and you've got a nice saddle to sit in. Even over crappy terrain.
I don't understand why rangers are the only one with a really high ride skill - everyone in Armageddon uses a mount, if they ever leave the gates. (Except you stinky elves).

I don't agree that everyone should be able to ride a mount everywhere ... but for the scope of what you seem to be talking about (the scrublands, grasslands ... areas close to the main settlements basically) I'm inclined to agree that yes, everyone with enough practice should be abe to not fall off the saddle if walking their mount with both hands free to hold the reigns. I had hoped it was this way already.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

People roll ranger to be really good on a mount just like warriors roll warrior to kick butt.

Outside of special requests for skill bumps let's leave as is.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

But rangers are so good at so many other things (most powerful mundane guild in the mud, IMO), and still go above and beyond other guilds while mounted with the charge/trample (or whatever they're called these days) combo.
Do they really need to have a base ride skill higher than everyone else too? Does that actually make sense?

I disagree... rangers get a variety of skills, but IMO, most of them have relatively low caps compared to what dedicated guilds do.

Also, most powerful mundane guild: MERCHANT.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: drunkendwarf on December 31, 2009, 11:26:31 AM
But rangers are so good at so many other things (most powerful mundane guild in the mud, IMO), and still go above and beyond other guilds while mounted with the charge/trample (or whatever they're called these days) combo.
Do they really need to have a base ride skill higher than everyone else too? Does that actually make sense?

I think you should get riding classes from a in-game expert rider, log it, and send it in. Do this instead of modify classes. I personally pick ranger because I know out of everything else traveling will be the least worrisome (outside of combat).

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Don't ride around with a six foot long club in your hand and I think you will be alright. I rarely ever fall off my mount with a non-ranger, unless I start using a weapon in my strong hand.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

This is exactly my point though...
QuoteI rarely ever never fall off my mount with a non-ranger, unless I start using a weapon in my strong hand.
That's how I think it should read. And I don't care if it takes 40 days play time to get there with any other guild, I just think all of them should be able to get there.
It's obvious I'm apparently in the minority on this one, so if I have to go about getting lessons from an expert riding and sending in the logs, that's fine.

I've learned to ride fairly well with a character that didn't have a guild or subguild that was good at riding.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on December 31, 2009, 12:13:01 PM
I've learned to ride fairly well with a character that didn't have a guild or subguild that was good at riding.
QFT

I don't think it's the guild ride cap that's affecting your character's riding. It's more than likely a mixture of a lot of different factors.

I was able to ride pretty much flawlessly with a non-ranger. It's possible.

I think certain factors influence your ride cap. Maybe it can be viewed as a character flaw to RP out instead of an OOC limitation.

My character only falls off the mount anymore at socially inappropriate, random times where it makes the character look horridly trained in riding to the other characters there.
All thanks to the code - no emotes required!

err... Also, arn't inix supposed to be one of the more difficult mounts to ride?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Some people just don't have what it takes to ride effortlessly. I feel it's okay to just accept that.

Like me in real life - I LOVE riding horses. However, I am not, nor will I ever be, particularly good at it. I'm from the burbs, didn't start riding til I was 30, didn't spend my entire life around horses, and I'm a self-trained rider. Even if I had lessons, I'm just not graceful enough or patient enough to command a horse with any measure of expertise.

Now, take my inexpert rank at riding, and put me on a Clydesdale, and set us on the Great Sand Dunes park in Colorado. I can pretty much guarantee you that I won't make it 1/4 mile before I either fall off, or the horse just flat out refuses to move any further. Such is the life of someone who 1) is not cut out to ever be very good at riding, and 2) attempting to do so in a part of the world that is completely out of her element.

Now take the average Tuluki, put him on an inix, and tell him to go riding the Red Desert. It's the same thing. Unless the Tuluki was "born to ride" (ie - a ranger, or someone whose ride skill can actually get very good), it just ain't gonna happen. If you want to be good at riding, pick a class/subclass that is "intended" for riding.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I disagree with the simple fact that riding a horse is most certainly not the primary mode of transportation for our society. Any comparisons you make here I think are going to be irrelevant.

Just try out a different mount and I think you will be fine.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

As has been said, if you're keeping both your hands free, walking, and in a relatively tame patch of wilderness like the grasslands, scrubs, salt flats, ect ... then hopefully you won't fall off your mount more or less ever.

Never say never though ... rangers can still fall off a mount ... no matter how silly and small the chance can be midigated down to be.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: drunkendwarf on December 31, 2009, 01:18:17 PM
I disagree with the simple fact that riding a horse is most certainly not the primary mode of transportation for our society. Any comparisons you make here I think are going to be irrelevant.

While it's considerably more infrequent than IG, seasoned riders fall off their horse once an awhile.  Oh, and really?  No, I mean that.  Everything you think I mean. That's what.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

QuoteOh, and really?  No, I mean that.  Everything you think I mean. That's what.
What the hell are you saying?  :)

January 01, 2010, 11:09:44 AM #21 Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:11:57 AM by brytta.leofa
Quote from: drunkendwarf on December 31, 2009, 01:18:17 PM
I disagree with the simple fact that riding a horse is most certainly not the primary mode of transportation for our society.

Most city-born Zalanthans don't use any transportation beyond their own two feet.  Owning a mount doesn't really make sense unless your profession requires you to leave the walls.

I don't think you would find many expert riders in most pre-automotive real-world cultures, either, whether urban or rural.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

My all characters after the mount rewamp never fell off their mounts after getting experienced. Maybe it's because I don't dual wield weapons during riding and I barely ever go out to very hazardaous terrain, but still...

I don't see a bug with the mount code. It may be the main transportation of Zalanthas, but nearly all people except soldiers, hunters and filthy mages would always ride on roads, which seem to give a very hefty bonus to ride skill. Aide Lila, even Sergeant Steelpants could still fall on a hazardous region because their daily routine doesn't involve crossing hazardaous lands and it feels sensible to me.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

January 01, 2010, 11:39:36 AM #23 Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:53:07 AM by jhunter
I don't think one should fall off their mount beyond the earliest stages of ride. If that's not the case, it should be fixed. At 20 days played and having been a steady rider, this should never happen. Seems like over the last five years there is this trend to try and make things codedly as much of a pain in the butt as possible. It's really killing my enjoyment of the game. Seems like when I play I'm being forced to spend too much of my time concentrating on dealing with coded nuisances instead of just rp'ing. The grey area that we can rp in is rapidly disappearing and I feel the game is becoming overcoded with stuff that adds nothing to enjoyment of the game and only serves to irritate me when I play.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

If you have two weapons out you're riding by your hips alone. You should fall off unless you're an expert rider.

Rangers have this potential. Simple.