Yum, food.

Started by Culinary Critic, December 19, 2009, 12:26:08 PM

As an avid cook (once professional, now recreational), I've always enjoyed food in all its forms.  Recently, my PC has been spending more and more time "tasting" things.  I have come to really enjoy some of the echoes that are returned and now go out of my way to try new things.

One particular item made me pause and appreciate the experience even more.

A succulent roasted tuber.

It wasn't the echo, or the taste or any aspect of the tasting that did it for me.  It was the act of typing that word..."succulent".  It gave a strong impression of the item itself and influenced the enjoyment of eating the tuber, feeling the texture, tasting the earthiness of it, that subtle hint of sweetness from the roasting (not included in the echo, but I know it's there).

So, thanks and kudos to all staff who have been involved in food creation and naming.  A real + to the RP experience.

To quote Synthesis:

Try seasoned food, too.
Make quests to obtain some of the rare ones.
Hire people to obtain them!
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

I've always loved cooking in Armageddon. Sometimes, it's the one crafting skill I get, so I try to have fun with it. :)
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on December 19, 2009, 12:31:23 PM
I've always loved cooking in Armageddon.

Do you exclusively play subguild house servant, or you just a masochist?
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

You can get good at cooking with enough practice to make any number of things. I've had warriors who cooked well, with no house servant subguild who cooked fairly well.

There are also tools in game to make your cooking attempts more successful more often. But you have to find them icly.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Reverend Green on December 19, 2009, 01:16:41 PM
Do you exclusively play subguild house servant, or you just a masochist?

Quote from: deviant storm on December 19, 2009, 01:30:18 PM
You can get good at cooking with enough practice to make any number of things. I've had warriors who cooked well, with no house servant subguild who cooked fairly well.

There are also tools in game to make your cooking attempts more successful more often. But you have to find them icly.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Culinary Critic on December 19, 2009, 12:26:08 PM
So, thanks and kudos to all staff [and players] who have been involved in food creation and naming.  A real + to the RP experience.

I'll echo this particularly for the seasonings. The seasonings all have pretty cool main descs. But the taste messages!!! Wow, they always blow me away. And not only that, there is also a sniff message for seasoned food. I love that.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on December 19, 2009, 12:29:49 PM
To quote Synthesis:

Try seasoned food, too.
Make quests to obtain some of the rare ones.
Hire people to obtain them!

E-P-I-C-!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~