Ideas for backstab.

Started by Qzzrbl, December 14, 2009, 05:14:26 PM

Y'know, I was thinking the other day, reading over the backstab helpfiles, and I got to thinking....

Since the helpfile says it's more of a critical strike than anything, would it -really- be that hard to do it with other weapon types?

A hammer to the kidneys?

An axe to the neck?

A sword to an artery?

A piercing weapon (not stabbing) used in the same manner as stabbing weapons?

I couldn't find any other threads on this topic using search, and I'm kinda curious as to what everyone else thinks of this.

I would hazard to guess that this limitation exists for balance reasons, i.e. to prevent people from backstabbing with greatswords.

In addition to what Akoto said:

'Backstab is an excellent method of attack if one's presence ought to be unnoticed by soldiers ...'

It's supposed to be subtle, I.E, ganking someone while walking past them, slipping your small dagger in through their armpit midswing, etc. Realistically, you wouldn't be able to pull that sort of maneuver off with a sword/axe/spear/blunt weapon, that sort of thing. Wouldn't make sense for the skill of a sneaky stab to suddenly apply to swords or what have you -- for that, I personally just let the combat code have it's way.

How about only for small weapons, like slashing knives, hatchets, blackjacks and small hammers? Besides, as it is now, there are a few weapons that are several feet long that are coded as backstabbers.

Don't blunt weapons already have that? It's called "sap", right?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on December 14, 2009, 05:52:08 PM
Don't blunt weapons already have that? It's called "sap", right?

Similar idea, different end result. The purpose of sap is to knock someone unconscious. The purpose of backstab is to make them dead.

Ah, let's just say that unconscious can rapidly and easily lead to dead.

Quote from: a strange shadow on December 14, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
Ah, let's just say that unconscious can rapidly and easily lead to dead.

Certainly so, but all else aside, the two are intended for different purposes. ;)

Potential solution: generic 'ambush' attack command which rolls backstab and sap together; weapon type affects damage multiplier and damage type, as well as other potential effects (maybe ambushing someone with a net entangles them, or a whip chokes them, or knives do more damage, or blunt weapons KO, or whatever.)

I agree that any weapon should be usable in an ambush-like-attack, though some should be far more appropriate than others. But then, many potential solutions to the 'backstab problem' are floating around on the GDB, and I'm sure they'll all be reiterated in this thread again.

This wont be change for the same reason that they won't change the generic echo that accompanies the command.

I don't see what the fucking point is, when assassins don't even get any weapon skills that don't already have critical strike commands.

As far as burglars.  Lol, whatever.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2009, 01:08:35 AM
I don't see what the fucking point is, when assassins don't even get any weapon skills that don't already have critical strike commands.

As far as burglars.  Lol, whatever.

I would have to agree.

There is much more to backstab than 'critical strike'. A 'critical strike' can happen in combat with any weapon. Using an axe to accomplish the backstab version seems a bit off.

I see your point in this, but it is unnecessary for this incarnation. Perhaps a topic in the Arm Reborn thread?

Really though, Synthesis summed it up quite well. It just isn't a problem.

~Den

P.S. If it is a concept thing... Some clever emoting and suspension of disbelief is all you really need.

backstab Tek

...output...

em Suddenly appearing out of the shadows, @ runs ~sword through %Tek back. ~sword gently nicks a few hairs off %Tek chin, after it pierces out from ^Tek chest.

...combat...
...other stuff...
*beep* (Worth it!)