Wholesale meat vendor

Started by janeshephard, December 14, 2009, 02:17:55 PM

December 14, 2009, 02:17:55 PM Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:24:13 PM by janeshephard
Hi,

So I love the jobs that are around Zalanthas. They really help non-clanned players get into a pattern and earn a daily wage.

Here's an idea. We have mineral wholesale vendors, cotton wholesale vendors, wood(?), and salt. I don't know how dung is sold but I guess I can find out in game sometime.

I realize there are food vendors who buy meat but they seem few and usually too full to buy anymore. A meat vendor paying 1 sid a piece would be a nice addition in the major areas. A bag or a basket to fill with meat and hand in just like the Jal salt buyer in 'Nak.

EDIT: This is already in game isn't it and I just don't know about it? :\
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

December 14, 2009, 02:35:48 PM #1 Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:38:47 PM by Gunnerblaster
Actually, there are places that buy meat. Prices range from 1-20, depending on the type of meat and it's rarity to the area.

There is a stall in Luirs that sells/buys food. Unsure about Allanak and Tuluk since both areas went through a massive "make-over".

Edited to add:
Oh - I see what your saying. Hm, I don't think there is a way to sell large quantities of meat, like you specified. To be honest, it makes sense why a food merchant would only buy a limited amount of meat. Meat goes bad, after awhile. Why buy 200 slabs of red-streaked meat when you know only about 20 of them will actually be bought and consumed before they go "bad". Limiting himself to 5 per type keeps his stall from overflowing (Remember, some of these are just small-time food vendors) while keeping room for other meats.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 14, 2009, 02:35:48 PM
Actually, there are places that buy meat. Prices range from 1-20, depending on the type of meat and it's rarity to the area.

There is a stall in Luirs that sells/buys food. Unsure about Allanak and Tuluk since both areas went through a massive "make-over".

Yeah I was thinking of none-vendors. Vendors take up to a limit of is it five of ten items?

In any case I *think* this is already implemented and will take a gander at a place I think has it that's not too far away from my PC right now. Heh.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

December 14, 2009, 03:15:11 PM #3 Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:17:42 PM by Ender
I'd be against providing more ways to make coin right now due to in game circumstances where resources and coin should be tight all around to help enforce the desperate nature of the current in game economic climate.

I think if anything vendors should be shorter on coin than they normally are and various jobs (obsidian/salt/dung/cotton) should have either the amount of coin they dole out reduced or halted.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

I think the butcher in Nak should start offering a lot more coin for mounts. Now that would fit the current in game nature.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

Quote from: Ender on December 14, 2009, 03:15:11 PM
I'd be against providing more ways to make coin right now due to in game circumstances where resources and coin should be tight all around to help enforce the desperate nature of the current in game economic climate.

I think if anything vendors should be shorter on coin than they normally are and various jobs (obsidian/salt/dung/cotton) should have either the amount of coin they dole out reduced or halted.

I'd like to see the amount of coin they will -pay- for anything lowered; as opposed to being unable to sell anything anywhere. The first option keeps things playable but for less profit. If they aren't buying then you just end up with this surplus of crap you can't get rid of.

Quote from: netflix on December 14, 2009, 03:32:08 PM
I think the butcher in Nak should start offering a lot more coin for mounts. Now that would fit the current in game nature.

Eh.. I know that you can sell a certain beast that is easily found for nearly 600 'sids each, at the butcher.

I used to make a fortune off of them, and that was -before- the current IC events.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

What I would love to see is the ability to offer a corpse to the butcher for coin. You get paid (at about half as much as you would for the sum of the parts if you skinned it perfectly yourself), they cut it up, the remains get put up for sale in the shop. Including the meat.

Quote from: a strange shadow on December 14, 2009, 04:02:15 PM
What I would love to see is the ability to offer a corpse to the butcher for coin. You get paid (at about half as much as you would for the sum of the parts if you skinned it perfectly yourself), they cut it up, the remains get put up for sale in the shop. Including the meat.

That would be a cool idea.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

So it's not a cool idea yet? But... but... I...

(I kid, I kid!)

I had a short email exchange with Nyr. He seemed to be interested in why I felt it was needed. Maybe the staff will action something like this soon. I hope so since it makes sense.

BTW, meat can be smoked or salted and it will last a while without refrigeration.

Quote from: netflix on December 14, 2009, 03:32:08 PM

I think instead of receiving coins, you should have the option or reciving part of the resulting materials/food.
I've had PCs before that could kill anything, but couldn't butcher the damn things when it was done.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'd love to see a wholesale food/meat vendor in game.  In fact, shouldn't there be an entire House dedicated to just that?  Who feeds the armies?  Who provides food for slaves and the Noble houses?  Where does it come from?  It ought to come from a trusted source.  Sure, every clan has a cook, but they can't all be hunting their own stuff.  It just doesn't make sense.

I find it silly how a meal in this game costs as much, or more in some cases, than many weapons and tools.  If food was that scarce on Zalanthas there wouldn't be large cities.

If there weren't any NPC vendors to sell swords, shields, armor, shirts, rings, etc. to, I'd be willing to bet that the most commonly sold and profitable items would be foodstuffs and water.