Paralyzing Poison and Others.

Started by Sephiroto, December 13, 2009, 03:51:23 PM

Unlike magick, poisons don't act instantly, though they can act very fast.  I would like a short delay (possibly based on endurance) on the time between infliction and full paralysis for the sake of roleplay.  Having a few echos about everything going numb and then putting the character in a slowed status before complete "lock up" would be pretty sweet.  I'd like to have a few seconds to attempt to act at a penalty, to emote, crawl to cover, or prepare myself for the drop before actually going down.

Say, for instance, you get shot in the neck by a blow gun that has a poisoned dart.  Instead of dropping like a fly, you start to feel very light headed and your senses numb within seconds.  Knowing something bad is coming you try to use those few seconds to scramble into an argosy.  Or, in the case of a magicker, you try to cast one last spell.

The insta-drop kind of reminds me of Diku insta-death rooms and the way certain NPC's in this game used to act before we tried to make things more real.  Although I think most deadly poisons should work very fast, they shouldn't work instantly.

Quote from: Sephiroto on December 13, 2009, 03:51:23 PM
Unlike magick, poisons don't act instantly, though they can act very fast.  I would like a short delay (possibly based on endurance) on
The insta-drop kind of reminds me of Diku insta-death rooms and the way certain NPC's in this game used to act before we tried to make things more real.  Although I think most deadly poisons should work very fast, they shouldn't work instantly.

Agreed.

Word.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I think that if you're boned, you're boned, and no amount of you being able to emote will help make it better.

Also: there is one poison that is peraine-like, but has such a delay.  What do most people use that delay for? Running away 1-2 rooms before they drop.  I've never seen anyone actually emote during that period.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 13, 2009, 06:27:03 PM
I think that if you're boned, you're boned, and no amount of you being able to emote will help make it better.

Also: there is one poison that is peraine-like, but has such a delay.  What do most people use that delay for? Running away 1-2 rooms before they drop.  I've never seen anyone actually emote during that period.

Agreed. The real life equivalent of peraine is curare (of most flavors) and it generally works within minutes. Little would be added by a delay to debilitating poisons.

Agreed.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

It would add the ability to have an antidote.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on December 13, 2009, 10:43:59 PM
It would add the ability to have an antidote.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a "force feed command" I think I've seen something on that.
Or force wear... that would just make my day.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

We need a "pour vial <target>" for use on incapacitated persons.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

This thread is about poisons.  If you want to talk about mudsex, dresses, and Nazis, I kindly direct you here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/board,4.0.html

Thank you,

-The GDB Prick

I think poisons should work equally well on mudsexxors, guys in dresses, and nazi elf-haters.

On topic, I like the poison code as it is. Peraine as-coded balances out against the effects of heramide in certain specific ways... making a poisoner's choice situational and/or supply-dependant... and the rest of the poisons give you plenty of coded options.

Zalanthas is deadly, man. I would hate to see poisons pussified.

- the GDB bitch

I think that if you're boned, you're boned.

True, but you can fight the posions Synthesis! With science!

That being said, I wouldn't mind a short delay before some poisons take effect perhaps determined by endurance.

Yeah, I'd like AI Endurance to be somewhat useful...
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 15, 2009, 01:57:05 AM
Yeah, I'd like AI Endurance to be somewhat useful...

Hey, I lasted 5 ticks against a certain nasty poison with a dwarf with egood endurance.  I actually made it about 10 rooms before I died!

December 15, 2009, 03:00:51 AM #16 Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:25:01 AM by Salt Merchant
Perraine is the PKer's wet dream. One-shot effective PKs.

And people complain about magickers being too powerful.  ::)
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 15, 2009, 03:00:51 AM

Well, it's an extremely rare poison for a reason. =P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 15, 2009, 03:57:36 AM

lol extremely rare lol

Quote from: Synthesis on December 15, 2009, 04:01:55 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 15, 2009, 03:57:36 AM

lol extremely rare lol

Also peraine often breaks its effects once combat starts allowing the person to get away so ... not quite as deadly as you might think.

Heramide however ... jesus christ.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Too much information.

I will agree that endurance and dwarfyness ought to have a more noticeable effect on poison effects and duration.

More, if dwarves got any more they would just be immune.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on December 15, 2009, 08:32:49 AM

We'd have to call them halflings then.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: X-D on December 15, 2009, 08:32:49 AM

Quote from: The DocumentationSome composition of their bodies and minds tends to make dwarves highly resistant to magick of all kinds, and their high endurance usually renders them virtually (or literally) immune to poisons.

Yup.

An arrow has arrived from the east.

An arrow strikes the short dwarf hard!

The short dwarf laughs heartily.

The short dwarf says in sirish around burst of laughter: "The...the fecker tried ta hit me with a poisoned arrow!"
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein