Imagine

Started by Dahomey, December 10, 2009, 03:33:38 PM

Quite simple, but thought I'd share it, since I have these kinds of moments quite rarely... (not sure if this has been brought up before)

imagine
im

>imagine him in a sparkling wedding dress

You imagine him in a sparkling wedding dress.

>im walking up to the merchant and stealing the bag at her side

You imagine walking up to the merchant and stealing the bag at her side.

[when sleeping]

>im a black moon covering Suk-Krath, steadily growing larger and more menacing

You dream a black moon covering Suk-Krath, steadily growing larger and more menacing.

Like emotes for your brain! O:
I can dig it.

I like this and would like to see it implemented.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Indeed.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Probably just more redundant commands. Though I can see it being implemented with current feels/thinks. Or, work around, be creative with current feels/thinks. Think about what you would look like in that dress, rather than picturing yourself in one.

December 10, 2009, 05:25:02 PM #5 Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:18:53 PM by Chettaman
> think (amused) Of him in a sparkling wedding dress.
Feeling amused, you think:
of him in a sparkling wedding dress.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

That's not how think works...

December 10, 2009, 05:27:52 PM #7 Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:30:53 PM by Dahomey
Quote from: nihilist on December 10, 2009, 04:47:43 PM
Probably just more redundant commands. Though I can see it being implemented with current feels/thinks. Or, work around, be creative with current feels/thinks. Think about what you would look like in that dress, rather than picturing yourself in one.

True, but I think there's a difference even between "thinking" and "feeling", let alone letting you "imagine" things.

think Imagine him wearing a wedding dress...hah!

You think:
  "Imagine him wearing a wedding dress...hah!"

im the very obese, shaggy-haired man in a slim white wedding dress

You imagine the very obese, shaggy-haired man in a slim white wedding dress.

feel a sudden sense of regret

You feel a sudden sense of regret.

thi Ohhh...did -not- just think that...

You think:
  "Ohhh...did -not- just think that...

[edited to add] Just an example, not intended to offend or anything. Apologies if it may have.

I would certainly never be opposed to more flexibility in feel/think/dream, but my current workaround is to just use feel for things that are below the level of expressed thought.

feel herself imagining the taste of that ginka fruit after an extra-hot day in the Flats

feel an idle daydream of Amos' pert round buttocks interrupting her work

feel her mind drifting into pleasant thoughts of vengeance

feel the memory of two torrid nights in the Luir's spice den and a pair of cute breed boys lingering in her mind

I think all of those work pretty well to get across the idea that I'm imagining.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

as long as they're targetable
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on December 10, 2009, 05:42:05 PM
as long as they're targetable

That would be nice, actually...echoed only to yourself...

feel an intense hatred toward ~man

You fell an intense hatred toward the tall, muscular man.

I've wanted to be able to use targets in think/feel FOREVER.

feel like #me should really be able to do that, amirite?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I would like to be able to imagine.  I would also like dreams to work on the 'imagine' level if it went in, rather than as part of the 'think' command.  I tried to make my character dream recently, and the tenses and stuff was a nightmare.  And maybe I'm just the word police, but for some reason the thought of thinking dreams just makes me scratch my head, because think implies some kind of level of conscious control that most people just don't have in dreams.  Imagine would make a lot more sense for that, as well.

I was really sad when I realized that thinks and feels can't be targeted.  I'm too lazy to type out sdescs, so I either try to avoid using them, or end up using a lot of confusing, non-specific pronouns.  If you could target for something like imagine, I would almost be in love.  If it was expanded to thinks and feels as well, I'd be a very happy girl.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I'd rather have a few versatile commands than 1000 page thick document manual worth of them.
We do not need a think command, a feel command, a dream command, and an imagine command. We need a single versatile command to handle conscious and unconscious thoughts.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

ID

Internal Dialogue.

It echoes only to you, and it would be something akin to a room echo which only you see. You see 'exactly' what you type, minus the ID at the beginning.

ID the distinct sensation of burning emanates from your peehole.

The distinct sensation of burning emanates from your peehole.

ID You think "I really wish I could rustle up the coins for a thal-knot of tho."

You think "I really wish I could rustle up the coins for a thal-knot of tho."

ID As you look at ~man, you imagine him doing naughty things to you.

As you look at the buff, hard-bunned man, you imagine him doing naughty things to you.

ID Feeling the sensation of burning magma eating away at the flesh of your hand, you dream of boiling alive in a volcano.

Feeling the sensation of burning magma eating away at the flesh of your hand, you dream of boiling alive in a volcano.

Then you could think, feel, dream, imagine, debate, suppose, and so much more, and without 'you' being forced to the beginning of it, it becomes even 'more' flexible.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

The only thing I don't like about the single command example (with the having to put quotes in it) is that I also would really like it your conscious thoughts should be in whatever language you're speaking in, if you're fluent enough in that language.  Someone who doesn't speak the language you're thinking in should be able to get the general impressions (feels, daydreams/imagines/whatever) but shouldn't be able to pluck your exact wording out of your head.

Honestly if they just got rid of the 'you feel' aspect to feels to make it more versatile, and modified the clunky grammar of command emote thinks, I don't think another command would be desired or necessary.  But the way think/feel works now, especially with dreams, I just find very frustrating.  Targeting aside, it just doesn't let you convey every impression it should let you convey.

I love the idea, but I suggest it be implemented as a separate command rather than an extension of an existing one.  The reason:

I think it is better to add another command to learn (with similar syntax to other commands) than to increase the complexity of an existing command, making it less accessible to newbies.  Which hurts a new player more, not knowing about the 'imagine' command, or not being able to get their 'think's straight because of the -e (example) you might need to put before the text argument.  In general, commands should be made as intuitive and easily accessible as possible.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

If thinks and feels functioned like emote and talk, it wouldn't be counter-intuitive at all.  Because it would already involve commands that the new player has to learn to function.  It would just be a logical, personal/internal extension of those commands.  I mean, when you use 'emote' it doesn't automatically tack on a verb for you.  You get to pick from a hundred different actions you could do.  Why should your internal feelings be any different?

For example - updated, less restrictive feel (I'll use AG's suggestion of the word internal, so feeling a 'feeling' wouldn't require you to > feel feeling)

> internal imagine the sun rising over the ruined city, and feel a wrench deep in her gut.
You imagine the sun rising over the ruined city, and feel a wrench deep in her gut.

> internal feel a strong sense of nausea as ~body falls at her feet.
You feel a strong sense of nausea as the body of the tall, muscular man falls at her feet.

> internal dream the sky goes black, and a bunch of crazy stuff happens!
You dream the sky goes black, and a bunch of crazy stuff happens!

Updated command emote think (to work like say or talk) -

> think (imagining the sword plunge through ~amos eye) I should just do it.
Imagining the sword plunge through the tall, muscular man's eye, you think, "I should just do it."

> think (wanting to dance around like a little kid) Pay day!
Wanting to dance around like a little kid, you think, "Pay day!"

> think Wait, what's that in the sky?!
You think, "Wait, what's that in the sky?!"

I think that between feels and thinks, the entire spectrum of human emotion can be covered. Albeit, at times, with grammatical awkwardness.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 10, 2009, 08:31:00 PM
I think that between feels and thinks, the entire spectrum of human emotion can be covered. Albeit, at times, with grammatical awkwardness.

Yeah. It works well as it is. Targeting (for those in the same room) would be great, though, for a few reasons.

Quote from: a strange shadow on December 10, 2009, 08:38:20 PM

Yeah. It works well as it is. Targeting (for those in the same room) would be great, though, for a few reasons.

That, I could get behind. I find myself sometimes typing out people's sdesc when I feel it's awkward to mention their name.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

My gut reaction:

I don't want one does-all command.  I like think and feel as it is.
I have enough trouble just using think and feel, so I don't really feel like I need another command.
Yes please to targeting.

The internal emote is something I've wanted for a long, long time.
There's a lot of shit you don't know about me, Mom.

I would love the internal rp commands to be a lot more flexible, either through using imagine or being better able to target thoughts and so on. I really liked that imagine idea, though.

But then

You might say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I do that now, but sort of like Gimf pointed out. I normally just put my character's feeling first, and then the imagining bit afterwards. Like:

You feel amused as you imagine the large, half-giant in a fancy Kaidan dress.

The dream thing has always bothered me a little though. It just looks ... clunky ... to me in its excution.

You dream: About flowers and daisies and pumpkin pie.

I would rather dream's format be more like feel. So it looked like:

You dream about flowers and daisies and pumpkin pie.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It changes to dream when you think in your sleep right? I think it still has speech marks.

You dream: "About flowers and pumpkin pie."

Eeeew.

Quote from: Spoon on December 11, 2009, 06:15:03 AM
It changes to dream when you think in your sleep right? I think it still has speech marks.

You dream: "About flowers and pumpkin pie."

Eeeew.

Yeah, it makes me cringe a little bit every time.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Rhyden on December 11, 2009, 08:47:08 AM

Agreed, but that what we said about think before feel was released. I think this (if coders had the time) would be a great little piece of low hanging fruit that would add a lot of value to the game.

But this vs arm 2? I'll take arm 2. This vs pretty much anything else...? Anything else. But this vs nada? This is great. :)
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

One of the major differences between Arm and other RPIs is the fact that our coders have taken grammar in the context of emotes and internal dialogues very seriously.

On others, you can work with kludgy emote systems to express what you want to express, sure, but it's fucking ugly and annoying.

If implemented, imagine should look exactly like it should look, not some half-ass workaround.

Quality matters, people.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.