dyeing

Started by Anonymous, June 27, 2003, 08:30:03 AM

Can you use dye on white linen/sandcloth?
I looked in the helpful but all it was was dyeing feathers,
so can you dye white linen/cloth? or just fethers?
This should be general OOC info, i would think.

Yes you can. The syntax is the same...

craft dye linen (to get the list of things you can make with it)

craft dye linen into length of green linen (to actually begin the attempt)

Bear in mind that it takes a LONG time and many failures before you succeed, and even then, you'll fail often after that until you've gotten enough skill to succeed with any regularity.

You will loose both the linen and the dye if you fail to dye it?

Thats a little unfair/unrealistic, sure you will get a crap dye job,
but why throw away the linen?

tie-dye isn't fashionable?
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Well this is stretching it a bit...

But remember dyes are alkalynes, and concentrated amounts of them applied to fabric -can- ruin the fabric. Realistically though (real life realistically, not fantasy realistically) - you'd have to dump the entire pile of dye into a very small part of the fabric and drip scalding hot water by the dropful in ordered to burn a hole in the linen. And even then, only that one tiny part of the HUGE length of fabric would be ruined, so you would be able to salvage the remains and probably make a dozen pairs of gloves, or 6 scarves. or 2 skirts with whatever is left over.

This, however, is Zanthalas, and subject to computer code rather than actual fabric, so it's probably not likely to change in the near future - much to the disappointment of clothworker PCs.

You know, this topic has been brought up at least once before...I know this because I was the person saying, "What?  You lose it all?  That doesn't seem right!" the last time.  True enough...my suggestion, if you want to dye cloth, dye feathers until you get good enough at it.  Either find a jeweler to sell the feathers to or keep them for when/if you get featherworking.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

- - I personally think that a failed dyeing attempt should leave you with a piece of craftable cloth. However, the sdesc and mdesc should be brutally insulting as to the skill of the person that dyed it. Why? So Kadius can have a discount bin! Hell, you can buy lots of top-name clothes at 90% off because of dyeing mistakes and warped logos. Arm ought to be the same.

Designer Spice,
Sancho
quote]>rant status
You are currently ranting.

>rant off
You shut your damn mouth.[/quote]

"Always remember: An elf in need is a thief indeed."

~His Divine Sancho

That's what I suggested then too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.