Should we age so fast?

Started by Satansfish, June 27, 2003, 06:02:14 AM

Should time be slowed, thus extending the lives of our characters?

Yes
6 (14.6%)
No
31 (75.6%)
Mommy, where's my sneaker?
4 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: June 27, 2003, 06:02:14 AM

I decided to put this poll up after noticing that my character has aged fourteen years or so in what seems to be the blink of an eye...
Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.
- Arthur Golden

I am sure the number of characters who have actually reached old age (and started young) could be counted on ones hands.  Maybe I am wrong and you'd have to take off your shoes too, but regardless, it is hardly a major issue.  If time was slowed down IC events would never move forward.  No need to slow time down at all.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I like the fast aging feel. It lets people have a meaningful IC life without spending their entire OOC life doing it  :P

Live fast and die young.

After all, the average lifespan during the dark ages was about 35 years.  Less for women, but only because so many died in childbirth.  While Zalanthas doesn't seem as inclined towards the massive outbreaks of disease that were responsible for lowering the average livespan, it is a harsh environment.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"While Zalanthas doesn't seem as inclined towards the massive outbreaks of disease that were responsible for lowering the average livespan, it is a harsh environment.
Well in ancient Egypt there were a few diseases that were quite common north of Egypt, yet despite the fact Egyptians had a fair bit of contact with them, they never suffered from some of the diseases.  Elaphantitis was common in Africa, yet wasn't found at all in Egypt.

Of course they had their own slew of diseases to worry about :P Just pointing out that uselss tidbit of info  :wink:

I highly doubt it matters, since I'd be -very- suprised if somebody has actually died of old age.
Back from a long retirement

I think it's fine the way it is. 3 weeks at this point seems like roughly a year in game time... Thats a pretty good set up for progression (though sometimes it does seem a bit inflexible). Not to mention if you sped up time itd take two days to have a decent conversation with someone. It already takes a good chunk of time as it is, lets not make things even worse  8)

Quote from: "Pungee"Not to mention if you sped up time itd take two days to have a decent conversation with someone. It already takes a good chunk of time as it is, lets not make things even worse  8)

I think the idea was to slow down time, not speed it up.

I like it the way it is now, too.  Also, I like how converting game time to Earth time is fairly intuitive.  A Zalanthan week is an Earth day, a Zalanthan month is an Earth week, and so on.  Any tweaks to the progression of time in the game now would only throw that off.