Sparring NPC's!

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 28, 2009, 11:30:12 AM

I too would like to express my agreement with this idea.

I'll also volunteer to write up sparring npcs, should they ever be called for.  Staff knows I'm good for it.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Stuff like the uselessness of sparring dummies, and other coded features of the world, often feels to me like legacy from when the MUD was much more twinkish and there wasn't such an emphasis on appropriately, accurately, realistically portraying our PCs. Yes, twinkish behavior still happens, and we do constantly get new players who need help with figuring out what should be done and what shouldn't...but for the most part, we are surrounded all the time by veteran players who do know what to do, and why. The playerbase is more trustworthy than 10 years ago, I'm sure of that, and I wish our coded environment reflected it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I... agree with Gimf. Someone call my psychiatrist.

I think a lot of "excuses" for not doing things, are based on behaviors exhibited many years ago before we had the structure and rigidity we have now. Do people still twink? My god, yes. I've even been known to forage 10-10000000000 times without emoting so much as "bends over low, ass wiggling at the watching staff".

Simply put, players want to be trusted. Those that can't be, can be weeded out, but you need to promote SOME sort of positive player atmosphere. Right?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It wouldn't even be possible to "twink out" on a sparring NPC, if  you set it up with the right script.

Make it auto-stop backstab, steal, sap, throw (others?) similar to the way you can't even try to use the 'steal' command in certain shops (even if you're not targeting the shop itself).

Have it show up only during scheduled clan sparring periods.

Make sure it flees before it reaches poor condition.

Make sure it disengages once its target PC reaches 'not well.'

Hell, you could even code other NPCs to come in for "unarmed sparring" days and for "wrestling/subdue/guard/rescue" drill days.  Each with their own nifty little scripts to facilitate training those skills.

Again, impossible to twink because of the skill timer, and the limited availability of the NPC.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I say we try it. If it doesn't work, we get rid of it. It doesn't have be something that will last longer than Arm.1.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 03, 2009, 10:43:22 PM
Make it auto-stop backstab, steal, sap, throw (others?) similar to the way you can't even try to use the 'steal' command in certain shops (even if you're not targeting the shop itself).

No, no, not auto-stop.  You know that thing where every NPC in Luir's Outpost pours out of barracks and cracks and holes in the ground to come kill you?

Imperfect use of backstab, sap, or throw against a training NPC should trigger that thing.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Bump! This is an important issue.
Lunch makes me happy.

December 12, 2009, 10:30:57 AM #157 Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:32:35 AM by Akoto
If there's a lot of concern about this being twinked out on, something similar to the AoD's sparring area could be set up. Their sparring dummy is set up at dawn, and slaves take it away by late morning (I think). It's coded that way.

Yup. The training sergeant comes out at dawn and the slaves prostitutes take him away at high sun.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Akoto on December 12, 2009, 10:30:57 AM
If there's a lot of concern about this being twinked out on, something similar to the AoD's sparring area could be set up. Their sparring dummy is set up at dawn, and slaves take it away by late morning (I think). It's coded that way.

What is AoD?
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Seriously ... I hope staff have been dilberating this.  >:(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 12, 2009, 05:01:08 PM
Seriously ... I hope staff have been dilberating this.  >:(

Dilberating?  Is that that thing where staff walk into cubicles like dilbert comics? lol
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Bump. Being off peak blows.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

i miss hitting dummies enough using bare hands. It's not often but it'll raise general offence.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: jmordetsky on December 17, 2009, 09:22:35 PM
Bump. Being off peak blows.

Even though I don't play any warriorly characters...
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

ARMAGEDDON IS SUPPOSED TO BE AS HARSH OOC AS IT IS IC YOU FUCKING PUSSIES.

I agree with sparring NPCs.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

I wonder what the coders and admins think about this idea?  Has anybody from staff weighed in here yet?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

All we can do is keep bumping the thread till they say something  :P
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Kinda already have.

Quote from: Olgaris on November 28, 2009, 02:43:23 PM
While I think Good Gortok's ideas are both strange and inaccurate, I can agree that you will not see a sparring dummy that is useful to improve your skills.