Spam Walking

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 17, 2009, 02:07:35 PM

Quote from: Malken on November 23, 2009, 03:19:05 AM
Man, you guys will go on and on about anything..

Welcome to Armageddon. ... 's GDB.

Quote from: spicemustflow on November 23, 2009, 05:14:32 AM
Quote from: jcljules on November 17, 2009, 03:43:43 PM
Even if there isn't anyone visible in the room, stop every five rooms or so just to pause or better yet, drop an emote. You never know when there's someone shadowing you who wants to roleplay with you, but might get frustrated into just backstabbing.

I hate posts like these. I don't give a fuck about invisible watchers, I'm not there to entertain someone with itchy trigger fingers. Sometimes I feel like smelling the flowers trough the caravan road. Sometimes I don't. And you don't have the right to backstab out of character just because you're bored. Now, if you're actively prowling for a mark, I don't mind being beeped without ceremony, but that's another thing.

How about not spamwalking all the way into a clan compound or the like, then? If you're not going to account for every possibility, at least pause before the compound gates / tents / etc. to allow the shadower to not get trapped.

How about remembering that sometimes, people are spam-walking back to their compound, because they've just spent the last 3 RL hours being in the wilderness or doing some clan-related RPT-type situation, and their players need to log out? If I need to log out, I am NOT going to pause anywhere. I'm gonna to avoid RP in whatever way I can, until I can get to a quit-safe room.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 23, 2009, 07:55:08 AM
How about remembering that sometimes, people are spam-walking back to their compound, because they've just spent the last 3 RL hours being in the wilderness or doing some clan-related RPT-type situation, and their players need to log out? If I need to log out, I am NOT going to pause anywhere. I'm gonna to avoid RP in whatever way I can, until I can get to a quit-safe room.

Ten seconds max to type "emote walks to the gates, nodding to ~gate.guard politely". If you're in too much of a rush to do that, you can RP with a trapped sneaky fellow in your next roleplay session.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 23, 2009, 07:58:09 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on November 23, 2009, 07:55:08 AM
Ten seconds max to type "emote walks to the gates, nodding to ~gate.guard politely". If you're in too much of a rush to do that, you can RP with a trapped sneaky fellow in your next roleplay session.

Agreed, While I understand that you will need to just GO sometimes, we are not talking about the rare time when that's the case and most of what people have posted isn't about the one time Amos the merchant went wwwwwwwwwwn open gate n close gate n n e s quit.  We are talking about how EVERY time we see Amos the merchant he's doing that.

On sneaky characters before I've been forced to sit for HOURS or get lucky and have an imm have the guard open the gate for some VNPC and let me sneak out, just because I would stalk someone who is in a shop one moment, then BAM, they type in twelve movement directions before my shadow self goes in and I'm stuck in a Salarr compound with no ideda what the fuck I'm going to do.

Consider the context in which I replied. JCJules said he wouldn't think it bad sport to just start backstabbing anyone who refused to pause between 5 rooms.

Spicemustflow expressed disdain for posts like Jules'.

Malken said we should consider it a choice: either account for every possibility, OR pause outside the gates.

My response to this, is that sometimes, I don't have time to pause outside the gates. Sometimes, I really -do- need to just get in and log out. Like, if my cat is throwing up. A 10-second emote could mean that I not only have to clean up the puke, but now I have to wash the carpet. Or if the macaroni is boiling over on the stove, because I was preparing for supper and only logged in long enough to read the tavern board and get my character situated in the estate for when I had time to log in later.

Or maybe the fire department has sent another truck that mistook the apartment building behind me, for my house, which does happen on occasion.

Or maybe my mom's on the phone telling me my dad had to go to the hospital again.

Sometimes, I don't HAVE that extra ten seconds. And JCJules' opinion that it's okay to consider backstabbing a character simply because the player of that character just flat out doesn't have time to roleplay, or even do a 10-second emote, is what I object to.

If you're in a hurry, can't you just use the closest quit-room (likely a tavern or stable) instead of one that's secreted away behind NPC-guarded doors or gates?

I'm not saying that it's impossible that you -really- need to go. I've had to dash away in a hurry plenty of times. I'm saying if you're taking the time to walk all the way to an estate or clan compound, instead of utilizing a closer quit area, then you should be able to spare a single emote or say or -something- that will give a shadower the nudge to "follow self".

I think jcljules' post is one of frustration - I don't think any player would really backstab a character on a whim, he just feels like doing it sometimes because it seems to be the only way to get someone to stop when you really, really need a PC to stop. Spam-walking makes you invulnerable to many coded actions that should be possible in movement, after all.

You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Wow, I'm impressed at how dumb that all was. My threads rock.

Not sure if people realize this because for some reason, most people don't follow the rule. But the general rule, is that if you are playing a "clanned position of rank" that is entitled to or supposed to have an NPC guard following you around all the time, you are -supposed- to return that NPC to its "special place" before you log out.

When I played a role like that, it was one of the worst time-wasters and frustrating things to do. I might need to log out in 10 minutes, and really WANT to finish a scene, but I'd have to just..up and leave, and walk across the entire city to the compound, just because I had to drop off that damned NPC. That was the #1 reason why my character rarely had the NPC with her. I had to roleplay excuses why I didn't have her with me. But there wasn't any IC reason, at all. The reason was purely OOC. It was just too inconvenient to have to bring it back to the compound before I logged out.

But when I did have it with me, no way in hell was I going to risk having to deal with more roleplay, or duck an assassination and NOT stop to actually roleplay being afraid..or dodge a templar who I really did want to talk to, or avoid a noble who had been looking for me for weeks, JUST because I had to bring an NPC back to the compound before logging out. So, I'd spam walk. Sorry if you lost out on some stellar RP but trust me, you wouldn't have gotten any. I would've been WAY too distracted by needing to log out, to participate at all and would've just OOCed "sorry gotta log" and gone on my way anyway.

Ok, I agree. The thread has become stupid.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on November 24, 2009, 12:23:24 PM
Ok, I agree. The thread has become stupid.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"