Spam Walking

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 17, 2009, 02:07:35 PM

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 17, 2009, 03:08:25 PM
But if I type stop, I'll get lost!  I only know my way around because I have a million aliases set up to spamwalk across the known.

Then what happens when you come across a critter and flee?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: Lizzie on November 17, 2009, 05:24:17 PM
The closest thing I get to spam walking is to type e e e from the Gaj to the next intersection. Or n n n from the first room east of the sanctuary to the entrance to the marketplace.

Other than those types of -very short- distances of 3-4 directionals in a row, I type it all out "live."

same i have a few short distances i spam walk. other then that, unless i HAVE to get somewhere quickly, i go live.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

This thread has become pretentious, it's losing it's original point. Let me get it back on track.

I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF YOU SPAMWALK.

Just stop and interact, okay?

I usually spamwalk everywhere. If I am spamwalking and you want to backstab me, I'd have no problem if I received a letter from my imm telling me to slow down on the 23rd of November, or if you OOCly say, "Hey, don't spamwalk today."

I have no problem slowing down, but I'm not going to go slow all the time. If I do see someone, I usually stop in their room for about ten seconds.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

November 22, 2009, 04:37:38 AM #29 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:40:21 AM by hyzhenhok
I'm not going to randomly stop on the street to interact with someone just because they're a PC. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people using these city roads at once, most of whom are minding their own business. I don't think it's realistic to expect passersby to give you interaction on busy city streets. Give me a reason to interact with you, give my PC a reason to stop, and I'll stop.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 22, 2009, 04:37:38 AM
I'm not going to randomly stop on the street to interact with someone just because they're a PC. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people using these city roads at once, most of whom are minding their own business. I don't think it's realistic to expect passersby to give you interaction on busy city streets. Give me a reason to interact with you, give my PC a reason to stop, and I'll stop.

You said it, Ultros.

November 22, 2009, 10:44:18 AM #31 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:52:37 AM by RogueGunslinger

Sigh.

Giving you a reason to interact? That's what I want to do! I can't do that if you don't stop spam-walking for a second! Short of ">change ldesc IS NOT AN NPC". I don't know what else to do. I'll give you a million fucking reasons to stop, you just have to stop to see them.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 17, 2009, 02:07:35 PM
It's pretty depressing when you >who and only see 5 people.

And by the way, it's these instance's that I'm referring to, not when there's tons of people online. If you seriously need some reason why to play with someone else, when you and that person is the only player you can find to play with, then you're not playing for the same reasons I am, which is almost exclusively to play with other people.

November 22, 2009, 10:58:39 AM #33 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:05:40 AM by Chettaman

Yeah. Like gunslinger's saying. You could miss the woman who needs help saving her baby who she accidentally locked into her apartment, that she somehow has the key to.
Or the gicker on the side of the road just about to cast a spell.
> n; n; n; n; n; n; n;
-three seconds prior to spam walking- The tall muscular man begins uttering an incantation.
> n;...
The tall muscular man is here.
You move north.
The tall muscular man shoots money from his fingertips!

> n; n; n; n; n; n; n;
The tall muscular man is standing here, looking lonely. )
> stop
> emote casually, @me makes ^me way through the street.
> n (casually)
> n; n; n; n; n; n; n;

That's what I do, anyhow. Because I'll sometimes have characters on the street trying to sell things, or... have a conversation where no guards are around. You don't have to have a conversation. We just want to know you care.  :'( Please. Come roleplay with us.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

November 22, 2009, 11:33:28 AM #34 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:36:38 AM by X-D
See now, I always have a problem with these...um, complaints.

I'm a destination type guy IRL and I think about half of my PCs are as well.

Even on vacation I decide where I want to go and I go there. I do not stop in between, there is no sight seeing between Phoenix and San Diego, I've driven it more then 20 times now and the only things I know are between them is some gas stations.

Even if I'm walking to the local store, I ignore most things and people, I'm not interested, I do not care. You would have to make a real effort to get my attention and then, if you are not a hot chick you will not like gaining my attention.

What many of you call spam walking, I call travel with a purpose.

When my PC wants to walk for the sake of walking, rare, but it does happen, then he will mosey along giving plenty of time for interaction in route. Of course that almost never happens, if my PC is acting like that he is normaly trolling for marks.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Spam walking doesn't annoy me unless the spam walker is leading other PCs. The follow lag is just the worst.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

X-D is Korgoth  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on November 22, 2009, 03:05:10 PM
X-D is Korgoth  ;D

But X-D didn't play Gage Gritshaw. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I can spam walk faster than you.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

I'm not a fan of spam walking, unofficial opinion.

Sometimes I've seen where spam walking gets you in trouble.

I can't tell you how many players I watched fall off a new edition of terrain because they were happily spam walking away without a care in the world.

Maybe you have a purpose when you're making progress towards a destination.  Maybe you are incredibly focused.  Maybe you're not paying close attention to people or some things.  All seems fine and realistic.

But while you are focused, would you walk off a distinct and noticeable cliff in front of you?  Would you drive your car into a new and deadly ravine that recently opened up, just because it happened to be along the path you always take?  Really?  Maybe sometimes.  But probably not.

But don't please don't pay any real mind to me.  You were probably spamwalking by too fast to read this anyway.  ;)
Never run from anything immortal; it only attracts their attention.

Quote from: Uruz on November 22, 2009, 07:47:53 PM
I'm not a fan of spam walking, unofficial opinion.

Sometimes I've seen where spam walking gets you in trouble.

I can't tell you how many players I watched fall off a new edition of terrain because they were happily spam walking away without a care in the world.

Maybe you have a purpose when you're making progress towards a destination.  Maybe you are incredibly focused.  Maybe you're not paying close attention to people or some things.  All seems fine and realistic.

But while you are focused, would you walk off a distinct and noticeable cliff in front of you?  Would you drive your car into a new and deadly ravine that recently opened up, just because it happened to be along the path you always take?  Really?  Maybe sometimes.  But probably not.

But don't please don't pay any real mind to me.  You were probably spamwalking by too fast to read this anyway.  ;)

Or maybe the builder who built the new terrain was careless and didn't put any kind of "danger ahead" warning in the friggin' room description.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 22, 2009, 08:01:12 PM
Or maybe the builder who built the new terrain was careless and didn't put any kind of "danger ahead" warning in the friggin' room description.

If you had time to read that then you wouldn't be spam-walking in the string of directions separated by a semi-colon that I believe most are referring to Syn.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Not all holes are going to have huge, flashing "danger here" signs, though I believe most of them do. This is probably why I always send a single peon ahead of the main group when traveling with large numbers.

It's a role playing game.  There isn't oodles of us running around and sometimes you can actually interact without even talking.  There is many times where I've done this.

N
Look figure (as he slows a bit)
<Seeing them have a gem on their neck>
emote grimaces and roughly shoulders ~figure out of the way, glaring at %figure gem the whole time.
n

Quote from: Cerelum on November 22, 2009, 10:04:47 PM

It's a role playing game.  There isn't oodles of us running around and sometimes you can actually interact without even talking.  There is many times where I've done this.

N
Look figure (as he slows a bit)
<Seeing them have a gem on their neck>
emote grimaces and roughly shoulders ~figure out of the way, glaring at %figure gem the whole time.
n

:ignores ~you just like he's ignoring every other person on the street.

or

:doesn't see ~you at all. Sorry. (Please don't arrest me if you're a noble or templar)

Do I have to emote it? I thought it was obvious.

QuoteGive me a reason to interact with you, give my PC a reason to stop, and I'll stop.

OOC reason? Well you may be the only PC I see all week!!!! >:(
A real reason? Give me a chance to type something and I will.

I queue up walks if I'm on deserted stretches of roads.

I'll try to stop and do something if I see someone, even if it's just emoting strolling on by. But if I don't and just quickwalk on past don't get too angry.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: solera on November 23, 2009, 01:54:04 AM
QuoteGive me a reason to interact with you, give my PC a reason to stop, and I'll stop.

OOC reason? Well you may be the only PC I see all week!!!! >:(
A real reason? Give me a chance to type something and I will.

Very well. Next time I'm playing in a horribly off-peak period and I pass someone on the street, I will stop, wait for you to emote something, and then >:ignores ~you as #me hurries down the street.

But this issue is different than "spamwalking." I can ignore other PCs I see regardless of whether or not I have a bunch of directional commands queued up. Ignoring people can very easily be an IC action; it's not always borne out of OOC laziness or sloppiness. I dislike the idea of being expected to entertain other players, regardless of whether or not it makes sense to do so ICly.

Man, you guys will go on and on about anything..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: jcljules on November 17, 2009, 03:43:43 PM
Even if there isn't anyone visible in the room, stop every five rooms or so just to pause or better yet, drop an emote. You never know when there's someone shadowing you who wants to roleplay with you, but might get frustrated into just backstabbing.

I hate posts like these. I don't give a fuck about invisible watchers, I'm not there to entertain someone with itchy trigger fingers. Sometimes I feel like smelling the flowers trough the caravan road. Sometimes I don't. And you don't have the right to backstab out of character just because you're bored. Now, if you're actively prowling for a mark, I don't mind being beeped without ceremony, but that's another thing.