HRPT

Started by Bogre, November 15, 2009, 10:40:20 PM

Olgaris? Then Tortall wouldn't be scared shitless.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: palomar on December 03, 2009, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: tortall on December 02, 2009, 05:02:07 PM
Wonder if they're gonna bring Halaster back for this one.... Or Bahg. Or..... BOTH!

Talk about scared shitless.

I fully trust our current staff to be more than capable of being really scary... Just imagine (or don't) what Olgaris might cook up for you.

I dunno. Maybe I just get the staff that's not scary.... It's true I haven't worked with Looon or Olgaris yet. :-D

Olgaris, you should make poop cookable.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Scary happens when scary is needed.  Zalanthas isn't a horror game, sometimes things are meant to be scary.

Killing happens often, when it's reasonable. Killing for killing's sake may seem entertaining at first, but it gets old, we can actually kill with discretion and not stupidity.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! I hope to hear that cry in the distance as I'm playing during the HRPT.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: Adhira on December 03, 2009, 11:30:58 AM
Scary happens when scary is needed.  Zalanthas isn't a horror game, sometimes things are meant to be scary.

Killing happens often, when it's reasonable. Killing for killing's sake may seem entertaining at first, but it gets old, we can actually kill with discretion and not stupidity.

Following up on what Adhira said: As much as I do like to joke around about how scary the staff are and how much they like to kill us, the truth is that staff have rules and responsibilities and judgment that guides them in stuff like this. And I, for one, having been involved in many intensely scary things happening in ARM, very much appreciate it.

Sometimes players get kind of paranoid about "what staff might do," and I just think it's not necessary at all. Yes, they will provide realistic IC consequences...but...that's what they're supposed to do, reinforce the "harsh" of the world. But they're not out to get us, and overall I trust that they really want us to have fun. And they know that having fun doesn't always mean losing the PC.

I know if I lose my PC in the HRPT it won't actually be because some staff member targeted me for elimination, or was completely indiscriminate and went wild with killing. If it happens, it will be because the current conditions were just angled that direction, and/or I was stupid.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Same here. Though I've never died in an HRPT, so I'm sort of looking forward to it whatever happens. Though if I survive whatever it is, it would be just as entertaining to me.

Still...

C'mon Imms. You know you want to eat my character's brainz!  :D
Choose thy fate:

This is my first HRPT. Maybe I'll die a good death.  ;D If I survive, well, that's okay too. But I'm open for a good death! *eye shift*

Quote from: FuSoYa on December 02, 2009, 02:39:51 PM
Uhh.. we have any idea on when we should be logged in if we are rather new PCs who are not clanned?  Or should I just plan on waking up at the crack of dawn and staying on until my eyes bleed?

Brandon

I was recruited literally the IG morning of an HRPT once.

"Alright, private, go get some armor."

The reddish clouds obscuring the sky begin roiling, turning a sickly shade of green.

...uh ohs
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on December 03, 2009, 03:43:07 PM
Uhh.. we have any idea on when we should be logged in if we are rather new PCs who are not clanned?  Or should I just plan on waking up at the crack of dawn and staying on until my eyes bleed?

Brandon

The reddish clouds obscuring the sky begin roiling, turning a sickly shade of green.

...uh ohs

And then proceeded to nearly kill me with the bandage skill!
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Any difference if you have a city or a wilderness PC? Clanned or unclanned?
Show me the action!

I didn't see much during the Copper War as an unclanned city PC...
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

From past and current experience with HRPTs, I would highly recommend playing a clanned city PC if you are interested in being involved, and specifically any of the clans that offer organized combat roles (Legions/Tuluki noble houses, AoD/Borsail/Oash/Tor). I think you can't go wrong with that. The merchant houses were also involved in the gith invasion, in an organized manner. However, it is also possible that playing a clanned wilderness role (DEs or human tribals) would work; I really don't know.

Though on the day of the HRPT, there may be lots of opportunity to just throw yourself into whatever is happening, too; that was definitely true during the gith invasion.

I've been involved in a HRPT as a gith. 

Only because of the kindness of whatever faceless immortal that let me know where I should go IC'ly, though.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Heh, this sucks....looking back, I've realized that all of my characters are the equivalency of Red Shirts.....and I'm not refering to Chekov or Scotty....damn.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

December 03, 2009, 09:58:04 PM #263 Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:01:02 PM by IntuitiveApathy
Quote from: Manhattan on December 03, 2009, 06:01:19 PM
Any difference if you have a city or a wilderness PC? Clanned or unclanned?
Show me the action!

I didn't see much during the Copper War as an unclanned city PC...

Jump into the Byn and you're pretty much guaranteed action.   I hope you've laundered your red shirt though!

(but seriously, I did this and was hauled off to an RPT pretty much the next day.  in fact, I think every past HRPT I've been in has been with the Byn..)

Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Don't worry, kids...Team Scary has been on hiatus for a long time.

I'm looking forward to a good ol' time on Sunday, hopefully with:

1 - Lots of blood.
2 - Lots of clones of Synthesis chopping mothafuckaz up with swords.
3 - A few kittens and puppies.
4 - Bright lights in the aisle to clearly indicate the "Emergency Exit".
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Ender on December 03, 2009, 05:58:09 PM
Quote from: Bogre on December 03, 2009, 03:43:07 PM

Brandon

...uh ohs

And then proceeded to nearly kill me with the bandage skill!

Yeah. 'Here Lord Templar I don't know why I'm the senior medic in charge' 
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Gagula on December 03, 2009, 09:13:50 PM
Heh, this sucks....looking back, I've realized that all of my characters are the equivalency of Red Shirts.....and I'm not refering to Chekov or Scotty....damn.

Being the Red Shirt is a sort of honorable role. Someone has to be the one who dies, forcing the rest of his/her clan to react and kicking off all kinds of events!
Choose thy fate:

I would just like to correct for the record, especially since Gimf keeps bringing it up -

The "gith invasion" of Allanak was not an HRPT.  It was just an RPT.  The last HRPT was the Copper War. 

Continue.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

::)

It was a staff-announced "major southlands RPT" that ended up on the history page, and there were over 100 players online for it.

I seriously just want the workday to be over so I can get home and log into ARM, then stay online ALL THE WAY TO THE END. i can haz 48-hour login?

Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 04, 2009, 02:04:39 PM
I seriously just want the workday to be over so I can get home and log into ARM, then stay online ALL THE WAY TO THE END. i can haz 48-hour login?

I am -very- close to doing the same thing, though I don't think I can keep myself entertained by Arm for 12 hours straight, nevermind 48. You much have the endurance of a mul.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Well, kids always want to stay up all of Christmas Eve, even if they can't physically do it.

HRPTs are Christmas for ARMers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 04, 2009, 04:22:28 PM
Well, kids always want to stay up all of Christmas Eve, even if they can't physically do it.

HRPTs are Christmas for ARMers.

The muscley, muscled man is here sitting on a gith's lap:

The muscley, muscled man says in sirish: "An' I wanna argosy, an' a Mekillot ta pull it, an' a badass sword ta chop motha' fucka's up!"

A large, red clothed mantis shakes his head.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

This is going to be my fourth HRPT (or fifth if you count the one that wasn't really one in 2007  :D).  I'm way more excited about this one than any of the others as I do not have a FREAKING CLUE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.  For all of the others, everybody had a pretty good idea of what might take place.  I can make wild guesses for this one but they're pretty wild and random and based on absolutely nothing.  :)

WHEE!  Two more sleeps.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The fact that the staff would post the post they did...is scary.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."