Walk, don't run.

Started by Rotten, November 07, 2009, 02:01:17 PM

What if we had no set walking speed?

What if we moved from walk to run based on how fast we moved from room to room?

So, we would always have the option of moving at high speed without toggling a command.  If one moved from room to room as soon as the movement lag let up, they would be running and penalized stamina.  If they took a few seconds after each movement, they would get reduced stamina costs.

Quote from: Rotten on November 07, 2009, 02:01:17 PM
What if we had no set walking speed?

What if we moved from walk to run based on how fast we moved from room to room?

So, we would always have the option of moving at high speed without toggling a command.  If one moved from room to room as soon as the movement lag let up, they would be running and penalized stamina.  If they took a few seconds after each movement, they would get reduced stamina costs.

This actually sounds like a pretty novel idea to me.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The problem with that, is that it becomes an OOC exercise in trying to figure out the exact moment that "a" switches to "b" instead of enhancing the RP (or even coded) environment. New players will suffer because they'll have to do all the groundwork to time things exactly, veterans won't have any trouble at all and will gain the advantage, and anyone who has actual lag, rather than game-coded movement delay, will be at a serious disadvantage because they'll THINK they're walking..while losing stamina points.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Plus we would lose the awesome race-specific lag differences, which are realistic and useful.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Not fond of this idea. Walking already has its speed, so does run, so does sneak, the different races move at different speeds, and there are even more factors governing speed. If I want to run, I'll -think- about running and then do it, rather than doing it unconsciously.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I disapprove of this idea. Walk/run/etc are longstanding traditions in muds, and anything else is weird.

I think we've already boiled this facet of the code down to its simplest, most intuitive, and most useful format.

I actually like the idea. I don't think it would work for the vast majority of players, but I like the idea a great deal.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

This could be coded client-side...
Amor Fati

right now, directions are commands.  so you type "east" to move east. etc.   When really what you mean is "move east" at whatever speed I'm "set" to.

what if the directions weren't commands themselves, but arguments to commands.

"walk east"  or "w e"  etc  
"run east" or "r e" etc
"sneak east" 's e"
naturally everyone could do their thing client side or with aliases to get back the single command moves...

--or--

leave the standard directions alone for movements.  but if you want to run east  type 'ee' rather than just 'e'  or 'sne' for sneak east.

--or--

'e!" for running and 'e?' for sneaking  
this might also suggest using just "!" alone for fleeing and "?" alone for scanning.

Personally I dislike running around not realizing that I left my run toggled.

Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer

Quote from: Lizzie on November 07, 2009, 02:32:51 PM
The problem with that, is that it becomes an OOC exercise in trying to figure out the exact moment that "a" switches to "b" instead of enhancing the RP (or even coded) environment. New players will suffer because they'll have to do all the groundwork to time things exactly, veterans won't have any trouble at all and will gain the advantage, and anyone who has actual lag, rather than game-coded movement delay, will be at a serious disadvantage because they'll THINK they're walking..while losing stamina points.
Quote from: Ourla on November 07, 2009, 03:23:42 PM
Plus we would lose the awesome race-specific lag differences, which are realistic and useful.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I always get kind of jumpy at things that rely on real-time speed, because I've just never had a good internet connection.  But I could see how this could serve to deter spam walking.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

But how would I queue long walks? ;)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: nyrk on November 10, 2009, 01:17:56 PM
Personally I dislike running around not realizing that I left my run toggled.
Thats what the "how fast you're walking" option that you can add to your prompt is for.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I love this idea, then it will stop everyone from crying that people move too fast, cause well, you'll see they ran past so it's ic for them to go past that quickly.

I hope this gets implimented to a lesser or greater degree.