Random idea: no intro, no way

Started by Fnord, September 25, 2009, 03:56:47 PM

A random thought just came to me: what impact do you think it would have in game to make waying people not so easy? What if you had to make some form of physical contact with a person first. For the sake of argument, talking to them first, or looking at them first.

Would this allow bad guys to be more anonymous, or just be annoying? Again, random thought. Have at it.
Amor Fati

It would make it impossible to Way the Byn sergeant after you just got her name from some guy at the tavern. You'd have to rely completely on chance meetings or intermediaries known to both parties in order to start talking. Bad for game functionality and playability, especially for off-peakers and casual players.

If we had written communication to use instead, this might be OK.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 03:59:09 PM
It would make it impossible to Way the Byn sergeant after you just got her name from some guy at the tavern. You'd have to rely completely on chance meetings or intermediaries known to both parties in order to start talking. Bad for game functionality and playability, especially for off-peakers and casual players.

If we had written communication to use instead, this might be OK.

Totally agree.

It's hard enough on off-peakers and people with low/sporadic playtimes without throwing extra difficulty into the mix.

While I like it in theory, I think it would greatly harm playability.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Great idea that I like!

..But can't support, for the reason's stated above.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

My model predicts a Known-Worldwide depression.  Up to a 20% fall in gross domestic product.

edit to add:  But a 50% increase in uninvited touching and feeling.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on September 25, 2009, 06:12:39 PM

And thus, I throw my full support behind the idea!

Eh, honestly I think it would hurt game play more than it would help, for reasons already stated. If the way were going to be changed, I'd be more in favor of something like the need to share a common language in order to communicate via the Way being introduced.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on September 25, 2009, 07:08:30 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on September 25, 2009, 06:12:39 PM

And thus, I throw my full support behind the idea!

Eh, honestly I think it would hurt game play more than it would help, for reasons already stated. If the way were going to be changed, I'd be more in favor of something like the need to share a common language in order to communicate via the Way being introduced.

I think if you don't share languages you get the "Their mind is too foreign for you" or something like that. I'm not sure, though.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 25, 2009, 07:53:40 PM
I think if you don't share languages you get the "Their mind is too foreign for you" or something like that. I'm not sure, though.

Incorrect.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 07:56:29 PM

Incorrect.

Incorrect. That's for when you try to contact raptors, bahamets, kylori, and Gimf.

Quote from: musashi on September 25, 2009, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 07:56:29 PM

Incorrect.

Incorrect. That's for when you try to contact raptors, bahamets, kylori, and Gimf.

And Sandy Claws.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

And Yam ... seriously.

I think brytta just implied I don't exist IRL  ???

September 26, 2009, 12:32:09 AM #12 Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:34:54 AM by Bluefae
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 25, 2009, 08:55:34 PM
I think brytta just implied I don't exist IRL  ???

But . . . I always kinda thought you were an avatar for Mistress Ginka . . . ???  ( ;))

Great idea, and it would pretty much kill the "When can I use the Way to get a sdesc?" perennial discussion.  It also has a certain IG logic to it, and would further delineate the difference (presumably) between a 'bender and everyone else.  However, as stated, without written communication, this would have a harsh impact on establishing lines of communication for off-peakers.

Editted to add:  Although it might give an IC incentive to interact, even casually, with strangers and thus encourage rp.  Hm.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I feel like a newb for asking, but if you are blocking can someone still contact you?

Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 26, 2009, 12:41:14 AM
I feel like a newb for asking, but if you are blocking can someone still contact you?

Gotta find out IC on this one.

Personally, I love this idea and have heartily endorsed it since I first saw it mentioned.

Need to get in contact with that Byn Sarge? Hang out at the Gaj, ask around, find out when he's usually around, have people pass word along for you-- interact with other people in your quest to find this guy.

I think it would encourage more interaction among the playerbase, even for off-peakers. I mean.... Unless there's literally five people online, and you don't know any of them. But at a time like that, the chances of finding any one person in particular are way down there anyway.

Why would they turn around and make it more difficult to Way people, when they just got finished making it -easier- (by boosting newbie contact)?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 26, 2009, 03:13:28 PM
Why would they turn around and make it more difficult to Way people, when they just got finished making it -easier- (by boosting newbie contact)?

They boosted newbie contact?  I've been gone for awhile so I missed that.  Thread?

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

The two are only related by proxy. There was a skill boost to the started contact skill. What I'm suggesting would make certain things more challenging, such as "contact cloak" (not sure if this still works), contact gith (or random other race), hearing about a bad guy and contact pinging to see if they're in game, and certain other abilities that are possible simply with a name. It would not affect other things, like a recruit trying to contact their sarge, if they've already met. It might also be so inconvenient that it's not viable for playability purposes and I'm cool with that. Thought it would be interesting to discuss though.
Amor Fati

Quote from: FuSoYa on September 26, 2009, 03:27:56 PM

They boosted newbie contact?  I've been gone for awhile so I missed that.  Thread?

Brandon

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,35511.0.html

Quote from: MarshallDFX on September 26, 2009, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on September 26, 2009, 03:27:56 PM

Brandon

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,35511.0.html

Thanks and awesome.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

September 26, 2009, 04:34:42 PM #21 Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:36:37 PM by Lizzie
I thought the primary reason that contact/psi was made available to everyone (and not merely psionicists) was playability. If you want to take playability away, then just get rid of contact/psi for everyone except psionicists. If you want to retain playability, keep it as is.

"Oh hang out at the Gaj and wait for a Byn Sergeant to come by." Yeah that's great. Except, if the Byn Sergeant is in the Byn barracks dealing with stuff one day that you're logged in, and on a contract the other day you're logged in, and now you're dipping into your Byn fee to pay for food and water, and you spend a RL hour sitting at the bar by yourself because it's off-peak and no one else is there. And you're just sitting there, waiting for someone to show up, because you're no longer allowed to use the Way to attempt to find the mind of someone who is known, and who your character *probably* would've seen in the Gaj plenty of times before you, the player, began to inhabit the VNPC who is now your PC character.

Or how about if you're in Allanak, and trying to find a Kuraci, and you just found out all the Kurac PCs went up to Tuluk. Sure you -could- go up there. Except, you're a Gemmer. So that won't work. You KNOW that the Kuraci's name is Talia-di. You've seen her, but from a distance so you never actually "looked" at her. You've watched her have conversations with other people, but you've never had need to talk to her before so you've never been introduced. And because of that, you -cannot- find her mind and ask her to bring down a full suit of scrub camo?

What's the point of having tavern boards, if you are required to have up-close and personal interaction with anyone you might have need to be in contact with at some point or another? "Word has it, Lord Borsail is looking for a traveller who can provide him with lots of wood. He is a nooble, and therefore doesn't yet have an aide. He's looking for one of those too, and can sometimes be seen at Trader's Inn where grebbers aren't welcome, or upstairs at the Azure Dragon, where commoners aren't allowed to go. Don't bother trying to find his mind, you can't. Bwahaha.

Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun. Not?

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

September 26, 2009, 04:41:15 PM #22 Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:45:02 PM by Myrdryn
I think the idea has merit, but it does have problems that would make it more difficult than it would benefit.

As far as those sniffing for short descriptions, I don't think it's possible to 'contact figure' unless the target is in the same room.  What if in those cases it returned with "You contact the figure in a dark cloak." rather than revealing their sdesc?

But it would be interesting if the people of zalanthas had differing psionic affinities (or magickal) with other people (or things, like possessions or places) based on different kinds of interactions (magickal, physical and psionic).
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

To be a little more constructive than I was in simply shooting down the idea, I think expanding contact to involve other criteria is a good idea.

Not to require it..but to involve it.

1. So, for instance, if you're a rinthi, and you're trying to find someone from the rinth, but you've never met "officially" but know their name/handle, and/or their sdesc..you can find them.

2. If you're a rinthi who's never been to Tuluk, and you're looking for a Tuluki, you could find them, but not as easily.

3. If you're a rinthi vivaduan who's never been to Tuluk, and you're trying to find a vivaduan you've heard lives in Tuluk, you could find them easier than #2, but not as easily as #1.

4. You're a rinthi dwarf vivaduan who's never been to Tuluk, looking for a non-magicker Tuluk elf you've heard of but never met. You have a chance of finding his mind..but it's gonna be time consuming and suck a lot of stun when you succeed.

So there could be levels of mental connection, based on all kinds of things. The more you have in common with the person, the easier it is to find their mind even if you've never met them. You could -still- find their mind if you have nothing in common with them, but you'd find it more difficult.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Just make it such that if you are blocking then no one can reach you if this is not already the case.

Otherwise:
I almost want to say the old private public name thing.

Someone with your private name can contact you normally.
Someone with your public name cannot contact you while you are cloaked or blocking.