new skill: feign death

Started by Lenny Poppo, September 17, 2009, 04:05:21 PM

Hot idea!  But I think if you critically fail you should actually die, instead of just pretending!   ::)

Ender attempts to make a meaningful post but fails and snaps his own neck.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

this is actually a really good idea
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I don't like it personally, but the only way it would work is if you were to fall after taking hit. If you just go 'ArrGgH!' after you parry a blow and fall, no way any normal person is gonna go 'Yay!' and walk away. I'ma poke your dead body a few times for good measure and steal your shit. So unless it was coded to wait until you take a hit, or make you take the next hit on purpose but try to minimize damage taken from it so you don't actually die in the process, wouldn't work. And I don't think this should work on animals.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

If this goes in, I want an "eyeball-thump" command to check if folks are -really- dead.

There's no amount of willpower in the world that can avoid flinching at a solid flick on the eyeball.

Of course, we'd also need a critical failure for the eyeball thump: 

> You attempt to flick the tall, muscular man's eyeball, but slip and thump your own!
> You flinch involuntarily.

Or maybe it could be a pulse check:

> You attempt to check the tall, muscular man's pulse, but slip and palpate your own carotid!
> Your heart rate is a regular 60bpm 2+.
> Your vision goes black.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You people are funny today.

My first thought was how suicidal it would be to lie down and pretend death in front of person or persons who want you dead. You're liable to be beheaded, your things taken, and so on. It just seems like one of those ideas that I'd probably never use.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on September 23, 2009, 06:51:52 AM

My first thought was how suicidal it would be to lie down and pretend death in front of person or persons who want you dead. You're liable to be beheaded, your things taken, and so on. It just seems like one of those ideas that I'd probably never use.

It might be useful in a really, really large combat situation (war scale). Otherwise... yeah. People are going to "shoot the body", so to speak.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 23, 2009, 08:31:23 AM
It might be useful in a really, really large combat situation (war scale). Otherwise... yeah. People are going to "shoot the body", so to speak.

Ah, good memories of the Gith Wars.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Piping up from atop a cart of corpses, the scrawny commoner exclaims, in Cockney-accented sirihish:
      "I'm not dead yet!"
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Rule #2: Double Tap.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on October 21, 2009, 09:41:44 AM

> behead body

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 21, 2009, 10:03:03 AM
Quote from: Ender on October 21, 2009, 09:41:44 AM

> behead body

You fumble and behead yourself!

I don't know how he does it but this Lenny Poppo guy posts a thread and - besides the original post - never posts again, yet it's enough to get people chatting about it.

Kind've reminds me of a certain other thread he did the same thing on that ended up being pretty funny.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Feigning death is stupid.  Zalanthans aren't dumb.

At the Base of a Sprawling Dune [N, S]

The tall, buck-tooth man says:  "Think he's dead?"

The short, fat man says: "I don't know.  Let's cut 'em and see if he still bleeds."

The decrepit, weather-worn dwarf leaps up from the ground.

The decrepit, weather-worn dwarf says: "Feck that, I ain't dead!"

The decrepit, weather-worn dwarf runs south.

change ldesc lies here unmoving, glazed eyes staring upward.

If you rped playing dead, and the people you were trying to fool were REALLY GOOD ROLEPLAYERS, they would play along and drag you to the body pile on Meleth's.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: LauraMars on October 22, 2009, 02:42:12 AM

If you rped playing dead, and the people you were trying to fool were REALLY GOOD ROLEPLAYERS, they would play along and drag you to the body pile on Meleth's.

I would be like "get corpse" and then when it didn't work, I'd be like "kill dumb idea"
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

"get body" = you don't see that there.

OOC THINK - ah he's playing, I'll play along.

appropriate emotes, followed by
'subdue man' so you can drag him.. = crim-flag

Not gonna work.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Well, if you know he's playing and you're willing to play along, then you can just OOC and ask him to make sure his nosave subdue is on. But the whole thing is probably more trouble than it's worth. Though...I might be willing to do it, for the overall RPness.

Quote from: jmordetsky on October 27, 2009, 12:37:50 PM
I would be like "get corpse" and then when it didn't work, I'd be like "kill dumb idea"

> get corpse
You see:
   The tall, muscular man twitches involuntarily as you try to pick him up.
Everyone else sees:
   The rugged, war-braided woman struggles to lift the body of the tall, muscular man.

Quote from: jmordetsky on October 27, 2009, 12:37:50 PM

No offense but that'd be pretty OOC honestly.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

If someone tried to do it and were willing to nosave subdue, I would totally play along with it. I'd also send in a big fat kudos for the rp as well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I guess they'd have to nosave skills, too, so you could steal all their stuff off them...but anyways...yeah, I'd play along. Sounds fun.

If we do this, does that mean we won't be able to see the faker at a distance, just like bodies?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 27, 2009, 06:38:15 PM
If we do this, does that mean we won't be able to see the faker at a distance, just like bodies?

Absolutely.  Of course, he won't be able to see you, either.